• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What age did you start playing disc golf?

What age did you start playing?

• 0-9

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10-13

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 14-18

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 19-23

Votes: 77 23.8%
  • 24-29

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 64 19.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 33 10.2%

• Total voters
Can I brag on my dad? He came to see me play the Senior Olympics in Cleveland in 2013, and saw an 85 year old woman playing. Figured he could probably play, so jokingly offered to try the next time. This summer, in Minneapolis, he took the gold medal for his age group on his 80th birthday. He had thrown his first round on Thursday with me on the way there. It's perfectly fine that the main reason he won a gold was that he was the only guy in his age group, isn't it?

Very, very cool! :thmbup:

I started at 35 and only wished I had found it five years earlier when I moved to Columbia, SC. Living there was similar to jail sentence (other than my career and wonderful employer) and living there would have been much easier with finding dg the week I moved up there as I had nothing in common with 95% of the locals (e.g., I have never been into Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffet or many other things I did not understand while there for six years). I honestly am glad I found it later in life because I experienced so many great people, places and events prior to the sport that I would have missed out if I would have started right after college.

I was 33. I'd just moved to San Francisco and needed something (in addition to practicing my fly casting at the Golden Gate Casting Club -- http://www.ggacc.org/) to get me out in Golden Gate Park more. SF is a wonderful place to live, but it is tough to get over the bridges and out into nature. And I need outside time or I get a little nutty.
Anyway, 3 disc 150 class DGA starter set and I was HOOKED in no time.

I started playing frolf at the age of 15.
Switched to folf around 18 or 19.
Didn't really play disc golf until I was 23.

Good poll. I discovered the disc golf course while exploring Hudson Mills on my mountain bike at about 15 yrs. From then to about 23 I was a casual until I ran into an old friend that was really good. Once I starting playing leagues my game developed much much faster. Definitely a life-long sport for me.

The year I got my driver's license, Oxbow Park in my hometown of Goshen, IN debuted. I worked in the summers and weekends for the Goshen Parks and Recreation Department with kids (building my resume taking steps toward being an educator) and the wonderful leader of the GPRD mentioned the new course while prepping us for the summer playground programs. I set out with my store-bought Wham-O in June of 1989 and remember routinely getting 8s and 10s on the holes for my first-ever basket round (I played object Frisbee golf for years going back to childhood before that like a lot of us did). It was brutal and nasty with thorns and poison ivy everywhere. They redesigned many of the holes to be much easier for the 1996 worlds.

I honestly can't remember when I started playing object golf in the woods near my house. Maybe 10 or 11? I've been throwing frisbees most of my life, so it all blurs together.

43, Kind of ruined my dreams to be the champ.

After playing 3 years I have a lot more realistic goals, like have fun ;)

Last edited:
I started when I was 23, went to meet my girlfriend's, now my wife, parents for the first time and on the back of the in-laws couch was a white Frisbee with a Norse Valkrie on top of it. I asked about it was told what it was and the next weekend my mother, brother, and a couple of cousins in law took me out for my first round.

I started playing last year, a couple guys from worked dragged me out to a local course. Now I am the one trying to drag them out to play.

... I am feeling very old at this point ... of those that have posted so far, throwing my first disc at 60 years 7 months of age I appear to be the ol'coot rookie ... 22 folks answered the poll @ 'over 50', there must be some that have started older and just not posted?? ...

.. please?? ;)

... I am feeling very old at this point ... of those that have posted so far, throwing my first disc at 60 years 7 months of age I appear to be the ol'coot rookie ... 22 folks answered the poll @ 'over 50', there must be some that have started older and just not posted?? ...

.. please?? ;)

OK, 62 years + 1 month. Feel better Tom? ;)

Latest posts