• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What age did you start playing disc golf?

What age did you start playing?

• 0-9

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10-13

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 14-18

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 19-23

Votes: 77 23.8%
  • 24-29

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 64 19.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 33 10.2%

• Total voters
A new roomate took me out at 34 years old and I was instantly hooked. I knew about DG since high school as my brothers' friends played at a course near their school (baskets have since been moved to BB Owen), but I was too busy doing nuthin' with my free time back then to get invloved in an actual outdoor activity.
Like most here, I wish I had played sooner as it has been an amazing way to meet great people and relax while having fun outside.

I just started playing in August and I am 34. My buddy took me out for the first time and I was hooked. Little did I know that I Rochester NY was a wonderful place to play with a ton of good courses around.

I answered 40-49 because that was when I really got into disc golf but I first played the game in the mid to late 70's. It wasn't called disc golf, just a bunch of kids throwing Frisbees at street signs, trash cans, or anything else we could find.

I started at 25. I'll second that Rochester, NY is a wonderful place to play.

I would say I started twice: once in college, but really at 30. Funny how that matches the "bimodal" distribution of the 256 voters up to this point.

A couple days before my 52nd birthday, my son invited me to go with him and a couple of his friends. I had a background in freestyle Frisbee and they were hackers at the time, so I was actually competitive from the start. Then I found this site and my game took off. When my son saw my improvement, he got serious and we left the others behind. It's been a great 6 years.

20, my father had bought me a disc years earlier. Being a teen who had never heard of it, I threw in a closet and forgot about it. Regret those years I could have been playing, especially since I could have been spending time with my pop.

I answered 40-49 because that was when I really got into disc golf but I first played the game in the mid to late 70's. It wasn't called disc golf, just a bunch of kids throwing Frisbees at street signs, trash cans, or anything else we could find.

I would say I started twice: once in college, but really at 30. Funny how that matches the "bimodal" distribution of the 256 voters up to this point.

Both of these describe me. Not sure to put 19 from my start in college that lasted a few months of sporadic play or 40+ from earlier this year. Do remember throwing frisbees at light poles fence posts, signs and mailboxes as a kid late 70's early 80's with neighbor kids.
Wish there had been YouTube like references back when I tried in college. I might have learned how to throw a bit better and enjoyed it and stuck with it.

I did play as a kid, but it was freisbee golf - saw a basket once when we visited out of state cousins. Used free frisbees (usually from school giveaways or parades).

First played disc golf at about 33. Great time to start. Disposable income, reliable transportation. Only downside is not enough time to do it!

43 for me, a week or so before my 44th birthday. My son (23) turned me on to it. I'd driven by a park near work which has a DG course in it for a few years and was curious, but never acted on it. Wish I had now.

Age 7, 20 years ago! More recently I have put year round focus behind the sport. But have been casually playing for the better part of those 20 years.

I was a freshmen in high school, so I guess 15?

I really miss the days of playing a quick 9 holes right after school. I probably played more total holes in those 4 years than I have in the 13 years since then and I've never really completely stopped playing. Still have trouble getting through 18 holes there at par or better. Never gotten below 55 in all these years!