• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Disc Should I Get?

Which Disc Should I Get?

• Total voters
If you live in spencerport, I would get Champion plastics not DX. Sweden and Basil will destroy DX discs. If Baker/Widener is your course of choice a sidewinder or easy to throw driver would be the best choice. If Churchville is the course you like best....then you just need to expand your horizons :)
Oh, I forgot. MCC = Wahoo

Last edited:
List of nice discs for you snag pick and choose as you please

X Comet or ESP Comet
170-ish DX Roc
ESP Cyclone
DX Gazelle
DX or Pro Leopard
DX Banshee
Z Predator (some may disagree but it is a slightly faster banshee and it will last him a long time)
DX Teebird
KC Aviar (one of the new ones with the numbers on it)
Pro D Challenger
Medium or Soft Wizard

Thanks to everyone that read my original post and gave some good advice.

I've added a poll to this thread. These are the discs suggested that I am thinking about getting.

Sidewinder - Faster then the Leopard but I still think it's a disc I can handle
Banshee - More overstable then the Leopard, looks like it will complement my Leopard well
Buzzz - Maybe a little more overstable then my Shark, but is it different enough?
Skeeter - This looks like a nice straight mid-range disc, but it might be too similar to my Shark
Teebird - Somewhere between the Leopard and Banshee stability wise?
Roc - Looks similar to my Shark
Cyclone - Looks faster than the Leopard, but slower than the Sidewinder
Gazelle - A more overstable Leopard?

Note: My Shark is becoming a bit beat. It has a few good gouges out of the rim. As a disc becomes more "beat" does it become more understable?

I think I'm going to stick with DX and Pro-D plastic for now. I know they will beat quickly, but I know I haven't lost my last disc and I'm resisting the urge to spend a lot of money on discs right now.

What disc weights are good for me? I think I'm going to go with something in the 160s.

Any other input?

160ish DX Banshee, that is a good disc, workable, wind and readily available.

Best advice for a disc that I got here for myself.

If you live in spencerport, I would get Champion plastics not DX. Sweden and Basil will destroy DX discs. If Baker/Widener is your course of choice a sidewinder or easy to throw driver would be the best choice. If Churchville is the course you like best....then you just need to expand your horizons :)
Oh, I forgot. MCC = Wahoo

I'm mostly playing Sweden right now because it's the closest to home. I also like Parma and Chili/Baker/Widener. I played Basil once and I liked it. Churchville needs some work still, but it's ok. I played MCC a few times because it was convenient after class. It's been very wet though and just an ok course.

I'm going to stick with DX plastic for now, but once I get a little better and find a few molds that I really like, I'll probably get some champion or star plastic.

I'll also 2nd the DX Banshee suggestion. If you are really wet behind the ears though, I'd pick up a replacement 150 Leo and a heavier Leo, ~165, and that way the heavy Leo can work as a more overstable complement and keep you in the mold minimalism camp where you'll learn to shape lines and be a better disc golfer.

when you buy your leopard make sure its somewhere bw 165 and 170 and then get a banshee in the same weight range. should help you develop well. i would suggest reading this thread in its entirety.

used everything until you find your strengths, then world domination

Definitely a Buzzz or a Roc. Personally, I think that the Buzzz is the best mid ever made. Consider getting a Glo Buzzz and an Elite Z. A Pain would be a good overstable compliment to these. Fill out your mid ranges and master those before trying to fill every gap in your drivers IMO.

only vote for a ROC =(, Well just like everyone else has said, Roadrunner Roc/Buzz and Leopard are the 3 discs you'll want to get and ONLY use those 6 discs for awhile and sure you'll learn more than anyone else you know just starting out.

I'm sorry, but all these other people did not notice the fact you have no distance driver. I have 4 distance drivers in my bag because i love them more than anything! I suggest a discraft Flash or an innova Champion beast

Why are so many people voting for the Buzzz? Isn't the buzzz pretty similar to my Shark.

I'm leaning toward the Banshee or the Buzz.

I'm sorry, but all these other people did not notice the fact you have no distance driver. I have 4 distance drivers in my bag because i love them more than anything! I suggest a discraft Flash or an innova Champion beast

Here, let me place this post on a tee for the next poster \/

Dude, the disc you chose to buy should be based upon your current ability to throw the discs that you are currently throwing. If you are a stud and are throwing your leopard 320' then there are certain discs that will be the right next step for you. If you are stretching to get 170' out of your leopard, then I would say just replace the disc you lost and don't complicate things by adding other discs to your bag...yet.

How far are you (were you, since it is now lost) throwing your leopard?
When you throw your leopard does it go straight, right, left, high, low?

These answers might help us better understand just where your game is at and what disc you should really have in your hands.

I just ordered:
167g DX Leopard (Red)
163g Elite-X Buzzz (Yellow)

My next purchase will probably be a Banshee and a Fade Lite bag.

Get a Pro Leopard. More durable than regular Leopard, but still beats in nicely. Plus, it has a heavenly grip.

lite weight dx eagle, and move from there up to a heavier champ eagle