• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs for what altitude?

myroomisajunkyard

Bogey Member
Just was wondering, is there any difference if I throw max weight whatever discs (teebird/destroyers/wraith/putter/etc) or light weight of the same discs at different locations, california/colorado/wisconsin/florida whereas the sea level is different.
My question is, WHICH weights area belongs to which altitude/sea level to be considered same within the same thrower.
Saying like, (absoultely wrong i bet) in illinos 600ft above sea level. Throwing 164g.. In colorado, throwing 175g 9,600 ft above sea level is the same as 164 in illinois.

I throw 172-175g in il/wis, im wondering if i go to colorado, cali, fla. What discs would i be "supposedly" to throw to be equal to the discs i throw here without mishap. (just curious just in case i start traveling more farther)

Sorry for the long post, was trying to be clear with the question im asking.

The general rule of thumb is that you should throw less stable discs at higher elevations due to the low air pressure. I'm not going to get into detail with the physics, but throwing at higher elevation has a similar effect to throwing in a tailwind. One solution would be to throw lighter weight discs at elevation, but I think I would just use my understable drivers more to compensate.

There are plenty of other threads about this effect which are easily searchable, such as this one:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918

Altitude??? All of my discs seem to go 10000 ft up in the air and dive way left.

Ohhhhh... You were talking about something totally different.

everything that has been posted before has said the air pressure in higher altitudes makes discs more overstable than they normally would be.

I believe one guys sig states that the "disc must fly so gay", or sumpin'

haven't thrown in mountains yet, but hopefully in two weeks I'll be able to make it to Sky High's Ice Bowl and find out for sure.

everything that has been posted before has said the air pressure in higher altitudes makes discs more overstable than they normally would be.

I believe one guys sig states that the "disc must fly so gay", or sumpin'

haven't thrown in mountains yet, but hopefully in two weeks I'll be able to make it to Sky High's Ice Bowl and find out for sure.

That's gonna be a real ice bowl daaaang @_@

That's gonna be a real ice bowl daaaang @_@

yeah, a couple cool guys from wrightwood, at the wintertime open at oak grove sun, said there's maybe a foot or two of snow around the course. Only 9 holes are playable, so they are doing them three times. if I don't have to work, im going to try and hit it up. :thmbup:

Now that sounds like fun. Brrrrrrrr.

It really depends on arm strength and spin, imo. My son and I live at 5000 ft and play in the higher mountains quite a lot. My arm is not huge and when we go to sea level simply going to heavier weights of the same molds takes care of most of the altitude change for me. My kid has to switch out a lot of molds, everything is flippy for him with much more speed and much more spin

Latest posts