• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what discs should i get

Driver: dx valkyrie
Mid: buzzz
Putter: stick with the aviar, there's so many aviars, some glide more, some much more stable, gotta experiment ALOT, my putting game sucks.

just work te aviar, shark, and leopard for awhile

The only thing I would add is if you play more wooded courses, buy a Champion leopard and maybe a Star shark. That way they will keep their flight characteristics longer, allowing you to learn the disc before it becomes beat up and way too understable. Otherwise DX is good for the more open courses.:thmbup:

i would suggest that anyone with under a year of DG under their belt stay away from a Katana...

I've been playing a little longer than a year and I don't (even want to try to) throw a Katana...

It takes a lot of work to get the angle just right... and even then, it's a squirrely disc. I know a few guys that throw them and for every 2 awesome shots, there's a disaster.

...blah blah blah Aviar/Shark/Leopard blah blah blah...a lesson i wish i had when i started.

ditto; count me in for the Aviar/Shark/Leopard.
I'll add one thing- you should spend a decent amount of time trying to figure out how to throw that Aviar really far. If you can get your Aviar flying really far (300+ feet) then you will have a rediculously powerful weapon in your arsenal, not to mention your other discs will go ludicrously far (prolly like 450+ feet) and you will be lightyears ahead of your competition because you know how to work a disc instead of letting the disc decide where it will go.

But the key is to truly stick with those 3 and really learn how to work them. Don't be duped into buying this, that, or the other... just stick with those 3 molds. If you are playing against friends or in tournaments it will be easy to get discouraged when other people are outdriving you by 50'. If you stick with the approach that we've been saying then you will eventually be outdriving them by 150' or more. It takes patience and great amounts of self control that I did not have.

So I will repeat what REDARMY (and many others including myself) said:
...blah blah blah Aviar/Shark/Leopard blah blah blah ...a lesson i wish i had when i started.

Last edited:
I hate the Leopard as a beginner disc.

I found out AFTER I bought new discs because I thought my dx leopard was beat to hell, that it was flying correctly. It turned over and barely came back. I thought it was me, so I went out and bought new discs that came back. Turns out, I was developing some form and learned to release it flat.

I think getting something like a Cheetah, or a Polaris LS would be better. Still same speed category, still the same glide range. Both turn over for someone who knows what they're doing, but they'll both fade back. I wish I had started with a Cheetah before I did the Leopard.

Right, Animage.
I agree to a certain extent.
I personally feel that sticking with the Aviar and Shark is best. The Leopard only fills in as a "right now" driver for the holes that need a little more distance than he can get with his Shark. But it is easily the most appropriate driver he has.
I feel the Cyclone and Gazelle would be the best choices and the Cheetah is not far behind. These would be more appropriate for learning driver technique and still remain relevant as your power and technique increases; this is better than being a "right now" driver. But if you aren't pushing over 200' with the Shark then I don't think the Gazelle will do a whole lot for ya. The Leopard will serve decently as a driver if you have 200' of Shark power but it will become irrelevant as a straight driver as your power increases.

Ideally I would recommend working the Aviar to 250', the Shark to 300', and then add an X Cyclone.
But he has the Leopard right now so that's why I mentioned it.

The idea is not to romanticize these 3 molds anyway. The point is to learn everything you can from them and then add more/different molds as your skillset progresses... but be quick to learn and slow to add or change molds. Good disc skills can make a putter hold a hyzer for more than 300' in calm conditions. If you know how to work your discs that you already have you will be a better player than the guy who buys an Avenger SS for right doglegs, a Pred for left doglegs, a Teebird for straight holes, an XL for ess shots, a Boss for distance, etc. The Leopard will do all these shots and much more.

Last edited:
You're right Marmoset.

I just remember how frustrated I was and shouldn't have been.

Learning to throw a leopard hyzer/flat/more anhyzer is one of the strongest things someone can do I feel. I just don't like it as the first step up in the driver world.

I also didn't wait until I got a mid to 300 before I used drivers. That would have been the best advice, however I'm dumb and impatient.

I just figure he's willing to spend money on discs, which isn't that bad. He's not super stockpiled yet, and it helps give the sport a bit more cash to toss back to those who play tourneys.

I love the Cyclone recommendation, but disagree with the Gazelle. These new Gazelles with the flight numbers on them just arent the same as the old ones. Anyone with OAT can turn these new ones over badly and are bound to get frustrated before they learn form.

I will say to the T.C., Marmoset is at least 10x as wise as I am, and I should be another person reading the advice and not giving it. :D

I will say to the T.C., Marmoset is at least 10x as wise as I am, and I should be another person reading the advice and not giving it. :D

Ha! Only because hindsight is 20/20.
I was one of the most impatient golfers. I stockpiled a huge array of different drivers in my first couple of months.
That was a bad move because when I first started I couldn't throw a Stingray more than 100'.:doh:
I have spent way too much of my recent life trying to unlearn those first 2 or 3 years of muscle memory. I am currently using all 150 class, mostly base plastic, and slow drivers. Using golf lines I can throw my putters up to 300', mids up to 330', and fairways up to 400'. I have hit 500' with warp speed stuff several times but I don't practice with them enough to figure out the release variables. I definitely can't average more than 425' with a Wraith on a golf line. I'm no powerhouse but I am pleased with my progress from the days of the 100' Stingray throws.

I'm no wiser than Animage or anyone else; the only thing I have going for me is that I have put in enough time at I made enough mistakes to learn a lot and I've had many good teachers to point out the errors.

I'm confident that any random Joe can easily exceed my meager successes if they apply themselves correctly.

...disagree with the Gazelle. These new Gazelles with the flight numbers on them just arent the same as the old ones. Anyone with OAT can turn these new ones over badly and are bound to get frustrated before they learn form.
I haven't thrown the new ones.
Anyone else notice this? I have been recommending GZs but I might stop that if the new ones are bunk.

Get all Speed 13+ and no fade so they fly fast and straight. Glide doesn't matter nor does the other thingy. Just make sure they go fast and straight. For a putter, just get the one with a ridge in it, that makes it work so much better.

Im only joking, don't follow that advice. I didn't even read the first page, I just clicked on the title menu. If you're new, go for speed 7-9 drivers, get a mid range (not 2 or 3) and learn to work it, and get yourself ONE style of putter and learn to love it. If I would have started out that way I would be pro by now, but I did exactly what my first paragraph says and I'm still catching up after 3 years :p

I haven't thrown the new ones.
Anyone else notice this? I have been recommending GZs but I might stop that if the new ones are bunk.

I've seen tons of older ones still around that it shouldnt be a problem. 2 shops here in WI have flight numbered ones in the piles and I grabbed a few.

Now I'm not one who's OAT free, but after just a few throws and stump hits, and probably 1-2 trees, they were more like my sidewinder than even a leopard. A buddy of mine is pretty clean in terms of form and he had to hyzer them to come back on him.

There's always the chance of a bad run or just a weak plastic batch, but I'm almost positive I read and commented on it before on here and others found the same results.

My 10x KC Pro one that is beat to hell still tries to come back at least :D

Driver: Champ Sidewinder <- try it, you will smile from day 1.
Mid: Leopard <- Great all purpose "middle range disc"
short: Skeeter <- use this to work on your game in the 25-125' range.