• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What distances for intermediate players?

northshoremb

I just started playing month ago since we got a par 3 course made here in town. Ive never played disc golf prior to this and cant wait to get a par 4 course down the line. Ok ill start off by saying im 38 year old male 250# at 6'1". Im usually in the top percentage at all sports i do like Golf, Archery, Bowling, Baseball, Billiards and strive to master every new sport i start so i have been watching hours of videos from Ricky and others on technique. So right off the get go i went to Innovas site and bought almost 30 Discs from their seconds store to save money and try them all out at the football field to see what dkes what and what works for my throw speed as of now.
Our course has mostly all 184-280 foot holes as its a 12 hole par 3 course. I on avg shoot -3 for 12 holes and best are -5/-6. I have been throwing my 172gr Leopard on all the holes to get use to adjusting power and putt with a Aviar Big Bead.

My Aviar putter i can throw roughly 200 foot BH and 172gr Leopard (speed 6) max is usually 250. I have shot the odd 290-300 with a TL3 which is (speed 8).

I hear people say you arnt shooting to your potential until you can constantly shoot a putter speed 2 up to 300 foot. Do most guys there first year my size has no problem getting 300 foot with a putter? I find if i go gor that extra hard throw i cant let go in time and pull disc hard to the right on RHBH.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Check this "PDGA divisions" page out. It gives some guidelines for different "skill levels." When you can throw 450' plus consistently and putt 90% from 45' or so, I think it's safe to say you'd be in the 99th percentile. Maybe I'm being generous. The thing is that throwing a putter 300' doesn't automatically translate to on-the-course success. And, as you may already know, doing well on one course doesn't mean you can do well on all of them. The guys at the top of the game are so impressive because they can shred just about any course and hit just about any shot. It gives us all something to aspire to, especially those of us who can't spend all of our time playing disc golf. Welcome to the sport/hobby/addiction!

Being big and strong doesn't really help you out inherently until your form is there. Most guys max out throwing with their arm ~300', so maybe you'd get 15' more than most at that point. And I'm meaning any disc. Discs don't really make much of a difference until your form is good enough to get them up to speed...generally when you are throwing fairways 300-320' or greater, is when you really see a difference between disc speeds and their stabilities.

I'd say when you are throwing putters 260', mids 290', fairways 320' you have a handle on what you're doing. That's not "your potential", but just where I think the discs start behaving like they should.

Video yourself and compare to pro's if you want to improve, and don't think about it as throwing hard or muscling it. If you're throwing over 85% effort, it's likely just going to detract from your form unless you really know what you're doing. When you have the mechanics right it doesn't take much effort to throw over 300'.

Number 1 thing to look at is grip though: https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml