• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do yall think of my bag setup?

jakerh09

I live in ak and started really playin 6 months ago, im really hooked and have picked it up quickly. i got this template from another thread and would like to hear your guys' opinion. Thank you much
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 6 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, decent RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 250'/300'; Buzzz: 300'/350'; wraith 380'/450'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: m
Injuries/handicaps?: rotator cuff
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball, shotput, hockey
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Carry alot of discs, have most of my go-tos but am still figiting
Specific areas of desired feedback: any overlap or redundancy in my bag (waste of space)
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, and improve my overall score in the long run

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 star wraith (flippy) hyzer flip to flat/slighty turn
170 star wraith (stable) commit hyzer/flat
170 star boss (stable) big s turn bombs ~490-510'
170 star teerex (new) forehand/straight to dependable fade
175 star roadrunner (used) big annys/rollers/tunovers

Mids:
177+ esp wasp (used) - main mid
178+ crystal Meteor (new) - stand still flat/ anny
177+ Crystal drone (new) wind/hyzers
178+ crystal buzzz (new) straight/ slight turn over

Putters:
175 SS Wizard, (worn) main putter
175 SS wizard (new) driving putter
178+ ESP Zone (beat) Hyzers/flicks/main approach disc
150 DX polecat (new) Straight tight approaches/Throw ins!!!

Looks decent. I could see a need for a true fairway driver in there.

Your mids do look cluttered. Could you try to narrow it down to two molds? Do you need both the Zone and Drone? I would think you could get by with one or the other. Maybe get a new Zone, drop the Drone and Wasp, and get a few new Buzzz's to be your workhorse mids.

What do you not like about your setup? You have incredible distance for only 6 months...great job on that,

I use the drone and zone kinda differently. Drone if I need more glide or straight to fade in a head wind. The wasp just goes strait forever for me and buzzz are kinda flippy for me, even new. I also have a 12x champ eagle in there I forgot to put down. Thanks! I played baseball a long time so the hip/weight transfer was natural for me. I'm just tryin to narrow it down. I also carry other molds tryin to find that long hyzer disc (I have an xcal and a champ destroyer so far) and need somethin more consistent for me then my boss (which is pretty consistent but doesn't flip/flips too much sometimes.)

Have you considered the extreme meathooks? NukeOS, Stiletto, etc?

I'd agree that you could use a few fairway drivers. A Leopard or TL would certainly be easier to use for straight/tunnel drives than a Wraith. I carry both a Zone and Drone and think they both have a spot in a bag.

If you live in Alasker, maybe you might want to look into some of the brands that kinda specialize in cold weather/high wind conditions. Prodiscus is good for both, as is Lat64 and their affiliates. I haven't thrown much Daredevil, but they're Canadian and design around that kind of conditions.

I have a 12x champ eagle also that I love and trust any condition but just quite found the need for another. I guess I just need to throw more of them. I have some pretty OS new xcal and ape I've been workin with. And I've found so far in the chilly fall, star seems to hold up pretty well. That's really all I have star/esp plastic. Not a huge fan of champion, never felt quite right

I just want to thank everyone for the advice. I post this on r/discgolf on reddit also and all i got was "Theres no way you throw that far!" blah blah blah. Thank you guys for sticking to my question and not just tryin to tell me how wrong i am.

I agree with the fairways suggestion. I find myself going to those a lot. I didn't think they'd help me out, but when I finally started using them my scores started coming down. My accuracy got 10 times better since I wasn't having to try and hulk a mid super long or baby something faster to get the in-between distance b/t my mids and distance stuff.

Little too much variety in all the areas for my taste, and you're missing a straight fairway driver and a flick/firebird/etc type overstable utility disc.

You have a whole lot of crystal for only playing six months. I assume you have a friend that hooked you up with some discs?

No way you can throw that far!

j/k

I agree you need some fairway drivers. Especially if your distances are accurate, because its hard to power down on distance drivers, and you have a lot of seperation between speed 5-6 Mids and Speed 11-13 dsitance drivers. I'd guess you throw the Roadrunner when you need something out to 350-380? Teebird is the obvious choice for the stable to overstable straight thrower. I prefer a worn in MVP Volt. You should have an understable fairway driver too. Right now I like the Legacy Patriot for that, but there are a ton of choices, the Innova one would be the Leopard or Gazelle (or well worn DX Teebird works too) Lat64 makes great understable "control drivers" discs, e.g. River, Vision. Maybe you just use the Roadrunner for this instead. I also have an overstable "control driver', the Trident from Lat64, which is a nice disc in the wind and when you need to dump a shot straight through a gap, then have it fade left and get some skip.

Gratz on being young and strong and learning the technique to throw so far, so fast.

I'd suggest a fairway or 2 as well. Personally, I like the 2 Rival combo (1 Pinnacle, 1 Icon). Pinnacle will have some fade and the Icon should just be dead straight at your distance, and probably easy to turn over if need be.

Champ/Star Teebird combo would probably work the same if easier to find than Legacy.

That's a lot of Big Boy discs. I would get rid of 1 or 2 of the Wide Rimmed Bombers and add 1 or 2 control/fairway discs. I prefer the Leopard / TeeBird combo, but pick any that you like. Get one a tad over and one a tad under stable. After learning those discs I bet you'll start using your Warp Speed arsenal less and less.

But what do I know? You've only been playing 6 months and can throw a Buzzz 350 feet. What do you think of my setup?? :|

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a Star Teebird. You can thank me later.

But what do I know? You've only been playing 6 months and can throw a Buzzz 350 feet. What do you think of my setup?? :|[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I just lol at the bar! Too funny