• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you look for in a disc golf store!?

What is the most important aspect of a disc golf pro shop for you?

• Low prices

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Wide selection

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Expert advice

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Location, proximity to a course

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Availability of rare and OOP discs

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Something else! Mention in comments

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Dont worry about a wide selction at first because it is damn damn expensive to try and please everyone. We went with the big two (innova and Discraft) and then some small stuff from lat, gateway, and mvp.

You'll find out whats sells and what doesn't but its very easy to spen 5k getting multiple weights and plastic and yadda yadda. It is exciting though opening those big boxes and going through so much plastic while restocking

I would be theoretically helping with this whole project as well, and the space he has to work with would be suitable. the course in question is a bit run down, but not hopeless. with a few work parties and some help from the city it would be good again. the best thing we have as far as a disc golf retailer goes in eugene is play it again. needless to say their selection isnt really the best at times. in my opinon the theoretical shop would be great for the disc golf community around here. especially since most of the golfers around said course are new to the sport. so insted of n00b X going to play it again and getting a groove and being frustrated that the disc hyzers after 100ft, they can go to discmecrazys shop and get a disc that they can work with, and be advised by people that know the sport. even though i have only been playing a short time, my knowledge of discs and the game is pretty solid. discmecrazy knows his stuff better then I most of the time. all in all, i think the shop is a great idea that really could progress the sport in our area. that is all.

My experience, owning a small store (400-500 discs in stock, plus bags, etc.)---

Wide selection and expert advice.

Selection doesn't have to go beyond Innova and Discraft. Those two alone have 80 models in 3 or 4 plastics (that's about 300 options) multiplied by the variety of weights. If you stocked 1 of each mold, each plastic, each weight class, you'd be in the thousands and have ten thousand dollars invested. And, of course, you need multiples of the popular versions.

If you haven't noticed, there's an unbelievably wide range of preferences out there (just read any thread about discs). People coming in absolutely needing a 163g cobra or 4 panthers or, well, you never know.

A chunk of our business is from beginners and relatively new players. They don't know what they need or want to try next. The chain store's no help, they don't know this website, they're overwhelmed going online. This is where the expert advice matters. For the regular addicted player, it doesn't matter, as he's already an expert (in his mind).

Location? Not that important if you're the only game in town, or at least the best one. Your customers are addicts; they'll come to you.

Find out what your local community likes.
While popular on here, Lat 64, MVP, Westside, etc. don't sell so well at my local shop.
There's a reason why Innova and Discraft are #'s 1 and 2.
Of course, if you have regulars who buy them from you and not off the internet, you have no reason to listen to anything I say.

Not sure if this was mentioned but in addition to a wide selection, not just in mold, but weights too, some sort of driving range.

And you can't beat expert advice. For me I drive quite a distance to a local disc seller. There are a few places many miles closer, but one is a sports store and the have a fair selection of Innova only, and no expert advice. Another is a paths and paddles store across from a course where they now sell a limited but growing selection of Discraft & Innova. And again, no expert advice. And yet I drive almost an hour to Discology 101. Huge selection, more than expert, guru advice, and the proprietors Doug & Mary are just damn fine folks. And to top that off, they have an 18 hole course on site!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts