• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What generation are we?

LIDS to 1st legit Discs - Gen1
DX days until Millennium stuff hit - Gen2
Innova and Discraft mold and premium plastic revolution - Gen4
Current explosion of DG companies and newbs - Gen5

We'll just consider the 3rd generation to be the lost generation or the missing link.

Gen 1 - Using frisbees to hit targets (trees, poles, etc): to 1975.

Gen 2 - Using frisbees specifically made for DG to land in entrapment devices: 1975-1983 (I consider this the golden age of DG).

Gen 3 - Using bevel edged discs made for DG to land in entrapment devices: 1983 - present (1982 - first separate PDGA World Championships; 1983 - first PDGA World Championships with non-Wham-O plastic; 1984- first year of PDGA Pro Tour).

I will consider Gen4 when we truly have a Pro Tour, with a weekly stop somewhere in US/Canada, and the participants in it are making a living from DG; or if there is a major technological change in the sport, which would push the above to Gen5.

Last edited:
I started playing in the late 1990s, and I think everything before 2000 is the first generation. I say that because in the late 1990s no one ordered discs online -- we bought discs wherever we could find them and bought whatever discs were available. Also, learning proper technique was only possible if you were lucky enough to find people to play with who had proper technique -- and I wasn't that lucky. I spent about 8 years with the same crappy drive and putt, never getting any better.

Then came the second generation, thanks to the internet -- or, more specifically, Youtube in around 2005. Now you can buy online any disc available, and with Youtube anyone can learn how to putt like Feldberg or drive like Jenkins. And not only can you watch pros do their thing, you can also record yourself, upload it on to sites like this and have dozens of anonymous people critique your form. So I have to say it's the internet that defines this generation -- the second generation.

What will the third generation bring? Who knows. But it will be obvious when it hits.

I mean too play toss and catch with the lids, but if you want to play a round at Winton with them I'm up for that also. :thmbup:

Didn't you come to town this past holiday?

No. Couldn't come up this time.

I consider myself in the generation that goes out and plays more then surfing the forums

Latest posts