• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to Flyboy?

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm pretty new to the forums, and I've been hearing so much praise about a course known as 'Flyboy'. I recently looked it up to read some reviews, and found it to be extinct. What happened to such a beloved course?

What they said.

More specifically, it's in a private community and the deal is that the guide must accompany you when you play. When it was listed (and top-rated), it began to be a bit of a hardship, as you can imagine, so he asked that it be de-listed. So it's still there, and available whenever a visit can fit into his schedule and availability.

Chitty asshats ruined it. Apparently disc golfers aren't the most well behaved and respectful folks on the planet. Shocking, I know.

that is a rumor. I do not think bad behavior made flyboy extinct.

Flyboy went extinct for a few reasons (IMO):
1. Kelly clocked more hours on his lawnmower than in his airplane. (this is from Kelly's mouth)
2. There were worries about POTENTIAL behavior issues that could close the course. It is stressful for him when he is not there to warn you where you can step, what areas are off limits, ect.
3. I think Kelly takes great pride in flyboy and only wants people to see it in the best possible condition. He can not always keep it in pristine condition unless he takes more time from his family.

The course is still there, but you should have a group and stay at the B&B. His parents will take better care of you than any 4 star hotel.

A rumor, but on fairly good authority that it was a 2-step process:

Bad behaviour, and the resulting objections from the neighbors, threatened to close the course entirely. A compromise was reached wherein players couldn't play without a guide.

Which led to overuse of the guide's time, and thus de-listing the course.

All the above...and more. I was going to post in a new thread, but this one will work.

For many reasons, I'm now going to have to reduce play on the course even more. Please be understanding if I'm unable to honor your request to visit Flyboy Aviation. I'm currently referring all Flyboy requests to Stoney Hill and North Georgia Canopy Tours. This will continue at least through the summer. Without going into details, Flyboy operates under a very unique dynamic. If you've been here, you probably understand.....it just is, what it is.

Happy discing!
Kelly

^ I wouldn't want to play there anyway. Not because the course doesn't sound great (it does) because I feel half my bag or more would end up in the drink.... :doh:

On the contrary, I think it would be worth half a bag of lost discs to play such a cool course....

I'll just throw DX plastic for the rounds! ;)

^ Psh, like you could even get a birdie there ;)

(nice hanger ace....dick :))

On the contrary, I think it would be worth half a bag of lost discs to play such a cool course....

This times a thousand.

Kelly, I'm sorry to hear you're having to cut back visitors even more. I hope things eventually get to a point where you can reverse that.

Latest posts