• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What I notice about the Holes of the Day

Playing in the ATL area, we have a good mix of courses with open and wooded holes. The wind does blow here, and quite often we play with a nice light 25MPH crosswind in the woods.

I love wooded courses. I'm crazy about em'!! But I also like variety of holes and a chance to "air" it out sometimes too. Wind is a huge factor where I live and I LOVE the chance to actually throw in the woods with zero wind. I would say wooded holes with no wind are easier than open windy holes with obstacles.

Oh! Oh! i want to share what I notice about HOD pictures. I have been posting my own opinions on those threads themselves, but there is a similar syndrome on HOD as on the softball forums I spend time on occasionally (where people frequently hit 400' home runs)

Say there is a 350'+ hole. Huge hyzer around a giant tree. and several people will post (not precisely, fill in your favorite disc) "oh, flex my teebird around the tree for the ace" Ok, I understand, some people will occasionally hit a miracle on these holes. But lets be honest. Most people are playing these with a hope at birdie. I wish some of these posts were more technique ideas and disc suggestions rather than "oh yeah, favorite disc for a 1".

I'm trying to be honest with my HOD posts, hope others can start to do the same

Sometimes those long boring open holes of the day are of just one particular boring hole on that whole course and certianly are not representing the course well. On nearly every course there is at least one open/boring hole. I always look at all the other course photos for that featured course of the day.

Here is my answer for 99% of hod's:

Comet

Because if I really have never played it, that's what I'd probally throw.

Since college I've only played disc golf in my home state, Georgia. I have been surprised by a few things after watching the Hole of the Day thread for the past year or so.

The first thing that surprises me is how open so many of the courses are around the country. The second is how tough some of the North Carolina courses seem to be, with those tiny little fairways between that near-jungle foliage. The third thing that surprises me is how many of the photos on the HOD have roads, even major roads, right up next to the fairways.

All this makes me feel really good about my local courses. It looks like the South in general, including the ATL, stacks up pretty well vs. the glimpses I see from around the country.

I'm curious what others' reactions are.

You have not seen many northern California courses then... They are all tight.

I think that it's easy to compare the courses you normally play, which are usually the best ones and your favorites, to the "average" hole around the US and determine that your area is superior. Lots of different areas have great courses, but the number of just OK courses with shorter, more open holes is relatively large.

I also wonder if how picturesque a hole is makes more of a difference in the hole of the day than how interesting it is for DG. People tend to like to take pretty pictures and not all really good DG holes are conducive to that.

I also wonder if how picturesque a hole is makes more of a difference in the hole of the day than how interesting it is for DG. People tend to like to take pretty pictures and not all really good DG holes are conducive to that.

Good point. I've also been curious about how certain states seem to get a disproportional number of holes-of-the-day. I know some states have more courses than others, but I don't think it's as many more as we see in the HOD photos. Must be that some states have more shutterbugs than others.

Also I didn't mean to sound like a complete homer snob in my OP. I would LOVE to travel to the Pacific Northwest and play disc golf in an Ewok jungle, but all of my vacation time this year is being saved for my wedding and honeymoon in November, and while I could theoretically plan some 3-day trips on my off days, I'd have to go somewhere the fiancee is also interested in, and we all know how expensive gasoline has been. All I meant to be saying was I'm glad I'm not "missing out" by living in Georgia.

Keep the comments coming. I really am interested in what others think and see. :popcorn:

In areas where there are lots of courses and lots of members here, you're more likely to get someone filling in all the local courses with pictures. That's going to make those states or areas (Pennsylvania, Texas, and North Carolina are some that come to mind) a lot more likely to show up.

So its official. Most courses outside Georgia and the Carolinas suck, and that fact can be confirmed by three guys from that area, all with less than 40 courses played each (and almost all of them home area courses) just be looking at pictures on the internet.
:p

I have played several Stan McDaniel and Harold Duvall courses so I would like to think I know my way around what would be considered a good course :D.