• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is a good sidearm driver?

A seasoned 165g Champ Firebird is my favorite disc to use when I throw sidearm.

However, a sidewinder that could go left and right, now that sounds interesting.

Any disc can be a good FH driver....given you have decent form. Just depends what you want out of your drives. I throw RHFH. For anything under 250 I'm throwing a Drone, Buzzz, or Buzzz SS. 250-325 Range I'm tossing a Firebird, Teebird, Sidewinder, or leopard. Max D (350-400) I'm flicking a Xcal, Destroyer, Nuke, or Katana. Also recently added a Champ Vulcan to the lineup. It's pretty stable for a Vulcan but is a great hyzer-flipper/roller and tailwind driver.

one of my favorite general use, medium overstable drivers is the Starfire (i'm a full-time forehand thrower).

IF you are like me and don't have long arms with crazy snap.... try a NUKE for sidearm. I am 40 years old, 5'9 and about 240 pounds and I can flick these things 300-350 with ease. I slinging the NUKE low to the ground and with my palm towards the sky and use more wrist snap than arm speed. They always turnover some and always come back nice. I throw my heavier Glow Nuke or max weight Z Nuke in lots of head wind and my beat in 170 Z NUKE for most other conditions. If your really new to flicking, try a NUKE SS and you will not believe how far you throw it.

Other flick discs I have had good luck with are beat in Wraiths and Destroyers. I also like out of the box Esp Surges.

Last edited:
I'm just starting to incorporate forehand into my disc golf game I'm pretty good at throwing understandable back and over stable straight everything but I just picked up a champion Firebird and I'm really trying to figure out what discs are good for a nice long flat forehand drive, I throw destroyers bosses and apes just shy of 400 feet back and and roughly 300 feet max forehand

For distance I like to throw star wraiths and champ beasts FH. Very workable with controlled D.

For shorter utility shots I throw a realllly overstable champ firebird.

I use the one finger grip so I tend to stay away from rims that are crazy big. My favorite FH drivers are the Sword, or a new Pulse. I also like the Stag or a broken in Blaze for dead straight throws.

Throw what you're gonna throw, but if you spend some time throwing understable or neutral discs till you can get them going far with clean form and no wobble, your game will improve. I wouldn't recommend throwing a sidewinder forehand into a headwind, but that doesn't mean it's not a great choice for forehand on a day with calm winds or a tailwind drive. Maybe your torque or windy conditions allow you to throw a flick, but I have tried to torque/snap/throw that thing as hard as I could and it still just fades so hard that it goes no farther than my putter. Yes everyone is different, but good technique will always reign supreme.

TeeBird, Striker, SOLF, and PD are all great FH drivers.

So are the Valkrie, River, Roadrunner, and Beast.

As are the M1, M3, Flying Squirrel, Comet, Buzzz, Roc, Wasp, Ghost, Fugitive, Zone, Sinus, and Polecat.

I used to think only OS discs are good for flicks, until I saw my buddy Steve sidearm his NukeSS. He can get that thing out to 400 feet or on a 200 foot laser beam. I think any disc will work, just depends on your style. I personallly use Destroyers and Saints.

I personally can forehand any disc I choose. I had to learn good form to better my game because I have trouble with backhand throws. In my sig is my bag. I can forehand any of these discs at any time. Some are understable, some are stable and some are overstable. Learning to hyzerflip forehand is difficult but fun and can seriously increase your distance. Get vids of your form up and look for tutorials. Sarah Hokom helped me get my form in check. Now I can hit between 350 and 400 pretty consistently. Trust me, it pays off to focus on your form rather than focusing on the discs you are throwing.

Wickedly overstable and yet controllable - Z Flick. I I can get 300' + golf distance with a Flick and my noodle arm, anyone can.

I also use a Nuke & Xcal, both 350+, not as consistent though as the Flick.

Not me.. I gave mine away last week because I couldn't throw that thing for the life of me!! I can throw my destroyer 400 but couldn't throw that damn flick 100 lol

Not me.. I gave mine away last week because I couldn't throw that thing for the life of me!! I can throw my destroyer 400 but couldn't throw that damn flick 100 lol

Flicks make for good utility discs or short drives that need to skip than stick. I have thrown the flick for 2 years now, not a disc on the market like it!

Flicks make for good utility discs or short drives that need to skip than stick. I have thrown the flick for 2 years now, not a disc on the market like it!

I picked it up and instantly wanted to love it.. It felt great in the hand. I tried maybe 100 times or so to throw that thing and never once had a good throw. But I have seen people throw the hell out of it. Just wasn't for me.... Yet

I personally don't like to forehand wide rimmed discs. Every now and then I will use my Xcal, but only for short spike forehands. I love Firebirds for forehand shots. Most of my approaches are forehand with a putter, Buzzz, Zone, or Wasp; usually between jumpputt range and ~175'.