• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is different about Prodigy to vendors?

I'd rather have chalk than waxes leaching out from old discs. A ChemE told me that calcium carbonate is used in minor amounts (<15% by weight) to stiffen and stabilize polypropylene blends.

All my older Discraft Z stuff (early/mid 2000s) has developed spiderweb cracks throughout. Discs just crumble. Haven't seen this in any other plastics from the era.

Innova & Millennium CE from that era has aged the same way. Goes to show manufacturers were (and likely still are) getting plastic from the same sources.

Lol, the first time I saw an old disc just fall apart was 1998; a guy had some collectable discs to auction and had an unthrown Aviar XD in the box. When he pulled it out of the box the flight plate fell on the ground leaving him just holding the rim like it was an Aerobie Ring.
They might have been one like these. I was always concerned about these when I handled them. They did finally sell (not for what other XDs a couple years newer sold for) and I sweated the whole time until I heard from the buyer they had arrived safely

picture.php

The worst plastic I personally know of/have experienced is the old Discraft plastic that Phantoms+ were made from in the last 80s. I picked one up a few years back that had been bagged since 1988 and the pressure from my fingers cracked the face in 5 places.

Years ago I bought one of Ginnelly's old Phantom+'s from him at Spinners. It was almost brand new, just old. I threw it once in a grass field and it exploded.

Prodigy is made in Georgia. Ace Line is made in China.

Yup, I was just saying that maybe why there is a lot of ace line availability right now is because they can get the products out of China easier and cheaper.

I know alot of people avoid Prodigy because of the naming system, although it is by far the easiest to understand in Disc Golf.

I actually have this argument weekly with a buddy of mine. Before I signed up for street team, I had bought a bunch of Prodigy discs. I knew what to look for and what to grab based on the naming system. Could anyone tell me what a Whale does? No? Well, I knew a Pa4 would be an understable putter.

Next, and this is the one I understand. Consistency run to run is a little off. I have an H2v2 that is exactly what you'd expect, but then I have one I use for rollers. Some say the color makes the difference, I dont know.

What I do love about them though, is that the Prodigy fan base seems to be very friendly, helpful and welcoming compared to others. That, and the feeling of the plastic is just straight up money.

Just a biased guys $0.02 though... lol

Innova & Millennium CE from that era has aged the same way. Goes to show manufacturers were (and likely still are) getting plastic from the same sources.

the majority of my Innova and Millennium stuff from that era is not that way at all. i still have a bunch of good throwers.

I believe people say this but I don't believe it's true. They have other reasons for not throwing Prodigy but use that as an excuse for whatever reason.

"Wow! That disc bombs for me but the name.....EEEWWWWWWW"! ... just does not happen.

Very well could be, its just what I hear the most.

I mean, I think the naming system is genius, personally.

More experiential than data-driven, but my experience is this:

I started playing again this year after about 10-15 years off. I was attracted to Prodigy's naming convention because I'm a pretty analytical guy and looking at other companies with their 20 different speed 9 drivers, many of which appeared to be exactly the same, left me more confused than anything. Prodigy's limited lineup left me figuring they would have plenty in-stock of everything since they weren't spread thin over a massive lineup of discs.

I wasn't even concerned that most internet lists of "best drivers, best putters, best mids" etc listed just about every company under the sun except for Prodigy. Then...couldn't find their discs. Site after site I went to had little notes that they weren't going to sell Prodigy anymore, or would not be ordering more. When I did find some in stock, they weren't the molds I wanted as someone "new" and needing some slightly understable stuff, and weren't the 400g plastic I wanted. On the flip side, I could find G-star plastic in just about anything I wanted.

I'm sure had I searched hard enough, I could have found what I was looking for...but given that almost nobody had reviews pushing them as being amazing, and they were tough to find...it was far simpler to give up and go with a bigger company.

I SHOULD be their target customer. I don't care about stamps, or fun/whacky names, and I love the naming convention. I'll probably try them out again at some point, but now there is the added hurdle of outperforming the discs in my bag by a wide enough margin to replace them. Seems unlikely now that I'm getting familiar and comfortable with my bag as-is.

I actually have this argument weekly with a buddy of mine. Before I signed up for street team, I had bought a bunch of Prodigy discs. I knew what to look for and what to grab based on the naming system. Could anyone tell me what a Whale does? No? Well, I knew a Pa4 would be an understable putter.

Next, and this is the one I understand. Consistency run to run is a little off. I have an H2v2 that is exactly what you'd expect, but then I have one I use for rollers. Some say the color makes the difference, I dont know.

What I do love about them though, is that the Prodigy fan base seems to be very friendly, helpful and welcoming compared to others. That, and the feeling of the plastic is just straight up money.

I feel like the people who don't like the naming scheme just use that excuse as a reason not to throw prodigy. I think its a dumb excuse. The have good molds, people are just dumb.

Now for your whale comment. I would argue that if manufacturers are putting flight numbers on their discs then it doesn't matter much what the name of the disc is. Now if manufacturers just give you the name of the disc but don't give you flight numbers then I would think you would be more confused about how the disc is going to fly.

From my experience with prodigy sponsored players and street team members. They are the most cocky and and least friendly bunch of the major manufacturers. They have this "bro" mentality that they are better then everyone else and they think they are gods gifts to man. I have met really good people that are sponsored by prodigy just like I have met good and bad people from all manufacturers. Just for whatever reason, prodigy players are the least welcoming. In my opinion and experience.

Last edited:
I feel like the people who don't like the naming scheme just use that excuse as a reason not to throw prodigy. I think its a dumb excuse. The have good molds, people are just dumb.

Now for your whale comment. I would argue that if manufacturers are putting flight numbers on their discs then it doesn't matter much what the name of the disc is. Now if manufacturers just give you the name of the disc but don't give you flight numbers then I would think you would be more confused about how the disc is going to fly.

From my experience with prodigy sponsored players and street team members. They are the most cocky and and least friendly bunch of the major manufacturers. They have this "bro" mentality that they are better then everyone else and they think they are gods gifts to man. I have met really good people that are sponsored by prodigy just like I have met good and bad people from all manufacturers. Just for whatever reason, prodigy players are the least welcoming. In my opinion and experience.

I think it does matter for newer players. I play with a good number of random 20-year olds just getting into it and they have 2-3 discs each. As we start talking about understable, overstable, glide, etc...it's extra work when they say "I threw a Tomagotchi there"...and then I'm like "ok, let's see the flight numbers...ok you'd benefit from something a little more stable with flight numbers like A, B, C, D. Ok which disc has that if I don't bag one? Ummmm let me look up some discs on my phone. Ok, maybe a Leopard3".

I don't bag any Prodigy, but if someone new says "I threw a D2 there"...I already know that's an overstable Distance Driver. I can pretty much instantly tell them "You should probably be throwing an F4 or F5". The comparison is easy, and it's easy even if I don't throw those speeds or stabilities.

I have never met a panda that didn't try to bite me... well, ok... i have never met a panda...

More experiential than data-driven, but my experience is this:

I started playing again this year after about 10-15 years off. I was attracted to Prodigy's naming convention because I'm a pretty analytical guy and looking at other companies with their 20 different speed 9 drivers, many of which appeared to be exactly the same, left me more confused than anything.

I'm in this camp (although they did confuse things a bit with H, V2 and X). Look at their naming convention for the ACE line: they're really trying for simple and straightforward!

"Wow! That disc bombs for me but the name.....EEEWWWWWWW"! ... just does not happen.

No kidding! If I happen to throw a disc called the "Maggot" or the "Dog Crap" and it leaves my hand like a rocket you can bet it's going in the bag toot sweet!

I wouldn't doubt that there are some players that wouldn't try Prodigy discs because of their names.

Don't get me wrong here, I have seen it first hand. I was actually sniped at a few times by a street team player last year for doing nothing wrong... lol. But, the Prodigy sponsored players local to me are all decent people and helped me make my decision to apply. I do understand how guys can get a sense of entitlement and arrogance being tied to a manufacturer, hell, I raced BMX for 15 years, I WAS one of those guys at first, and I think that's taught me to hold true to who I am instead of believing im better than Joe.

Not having much experience under my belt, since september including winter, I bought a majority of Innova stuff because they have the numbers stamped on them. It's very helpful for comparison when you're trying to discover flight characteristics and can't yet tell what a disc will do just by looking at the amount of dome etc. I went so far as to look up all of my other discs and sharpie the flight numbers on them. We have a few Prodigy discs and use them regularly. As a noob, to me they seem "vanilla ice cream" compared to my bright lime green Big Z Drone with it's huge robot wasp stamp covering most of the flight plate, although I know that it's done primarily for marketing. Maybe it's the same with the Innova DX stuff having pictured graphics compared to the Champ and Star offerings. That DX Destroyer is pretty sweet looking lol.