• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What is known about the Passion?

I managed to find two proto passions and a stack of big z Zeus's two weeks ago, and snatched up both passions without even really feeling them in a throwing grip. One passion went to my wife, and I was debating keeping the other one or not. It's a black and grey swirl, and when I finally tried actually gripping the disc I immediately was turned off by the feel of the rim. I also typically throw max weight discs, and this one is 161-163g. I live near a large, rockless, open grass field that I sometimes use for field work. I decided to at least see what the passion flew like before I got rid of this disc that would hopefully work better for someone else. And DAMN!
My opinion on the passion changed within 3 throws almost completely.

I managed to find two proto passions and a stack of big z Zeus's two weeks ago, and snatched up both passions without even really feeling them in a throwing grip. One passion went to my wife, and I was debating keeping the other one or not. It's a black and grey swirl, and when I finally tried actually gripping the disc I immediately was turned off by the feel of the rim. I also typically throw max weight discs, and this one is 161-163g. I live near a large, rockless, open grass field that I sometimes use for field work. I decided to at least see what the passion flew like before I got rid of this disc that would hopefully work better for someone else. And DAMN!
My opinion on the passion changed within 3 throws almost completely. I may have a freak one, as I've seen videos of others throwing passions and read the accounts on this thread, but mine appears to less turn than most. It's very stable (not overstable, but stable), remarkably so for it's speed. I'd rate it at 8, 4.5, -0.25, 0.5, thrown in the 340'-375' range. It flies like my 2021 TS Z swirl buzzz in flight path, just a fair bit faster in flight and with a bit more distance potential. Flat releases were regularly landing within 5' of center, and any hyzer or anhyzer lines pretty much just held the angle of release until it hit the ground. Perfect for that long, sweeping hyzer that can't dump out at the end of the flight and for huge, high turnovers. Full send rips (390'-410' according to Udisc) had a bit more turn, but not a lot more. Maybe a -1,0 turn and fade at that power level.

The thing that surprised me the most, however, was how comfortable and nice the disc felt upon release. It felt awkward and strange in my hand right up until I pulled through and released, and felt great from then on. Not sure why, but it stopped feeling weird and uncomfortable and started feeling just weird (or perhaps different is a better word that weird). I'm pretty pleased with it so far, and actually put it in my bag right after the 5-6 throws I got in that day. It's still not a color I want to search for after a tree kick, but it's so damn controllable that I've easily found it on every throw exactly where I was trying to throw it to.

Forehand didn't even occur to me to try until I played a round with just a passion and a Berg, but might be where I use this disc the most. I see more HST on my mids and 6-9 speed fairways FH, and the passion was no exception. I prefer a slight hyzer release FH, and the passion was giving me perfect flip from that angle to flat, then just laser beaming 285'-300' with a slight, very forward moving fade. If I only threw FH I'd probably have rated it 8, 5, -0.75, 1.

All this to say, the passion isn't what I typically like, nor what I expected, but I love it I just hope I can find another one that's this stable again.

I got my 168g ESP Passion prototype a few weeks ago. I'm an older player with not a lot of power, only 240 feet or so on the flat. My current main driver is a 168g Goldline River, and being a Paige Pierce fan I was just excited to find this Passion in the same weight range and wanted to give it a try. I initially was turned off by the shape of the rim also but have pretty much gotten used to it. I like the Passion, but I don't get the glide and distance that I do with my River, but I don't really blame that on the Passion, I just think that I need to work with it. I also get more fade with the Passion than I do with the River. I would actually have been pleased to find one in the 162g weight range but I like the color of mine, kind of a pinkish salmon color.

Has anyone thrown the stock runs yet? Specifically the max weight ones? I bag two Protos right now. A 167g and 152g. I want something that will fight a head wind a little better than my 167g.

Has anyone thrown the stock runs yet? Specifically the max weight ones? I bag two Protos right now. A 167g and 152g. I want something that will fight a head wind a little better than my 167g.

Keep in mind I'm terrible at this but my 170-2 (I haven't weighed anything lately) First Run does seem more stable than my 164-166 Proto even into a mild headwind (not longer for my ultra noodle arm though), so maybe?

I was just out throwing a max weight first run against my 168-ish proto and didn't notice much difference. The first run was a tiny bit more stable, but for the most part, they flew pretty similar for me. I'm not a power thrower by any means, a good drive for me is in the 300-325 range. For my style, this disc flies pretty straight with a nice gentle fade at the end and rarely will turn-over on me.

This disc is a cyclone. I throw cyclones very regularly, I carry anywhere from 2-4 of them in my bag at a time. I KNOW WHAT A CYCLONE FEELS LIKE. Picked up a passion my friend bought the other day… it may have been re-tooled a slight bit on the inner edge of the wing, but I would put my money on discraft just using the same tooling and exploiting the newer vastly more profitable market to sell the same exact disc they made huge in the 90's. With that being said, cyclones are great discs and if you're looking for a slightly stable workable fairway driver, the passion might be what you want. Definitely worth a try.

This disc is a cyclone. I throw cyclones very regularly, I carry anywhere from 2-4 of them in my bag at a time. I KNOW WHAT A CYCLONE FEELS LIKE. Picked up a passion my friend bought the other day… it may have been re-tooled a slight bit on the inner edge of the wing, but I would put my money on discraft just using the same tooling and exploiting the newer vastly more profitable market to sell the same exact disc they made huge in the 90's. With that being said, cyclones are great discs and if you're looking for a slightly stable workable fairway driver, the passion might be what you want. Definitely worth a try.

Can't be, PP designed this disc all by herself. 🙄

So does it come in Tournament Pro???

Last edited:
It's a Cyclone

Correct to a degree. Had a chance to have both in hand today at my local play it again. The lip on the passion is slightly modified. But you're right it's a retooled cyclone.

It's a Cyclone
You need to stop saying such things because I'm going to have to buy one just to find out if it's true and I only bought one Ledgestone Cyclone because I didn't need any more Cyclones. I'm going to die with unthrown Cyclones sitting around. So I don't need this Passion disc but I'm going to have to buy one just to know unless you can, you know...shut up. :|

You need to stop saying such things because I'm going to have to buy one just to find out if it's true and I only bought one Ledgestone Cyclone because I didn't need any more Cyclones. I'm going to die with unthrown Cyclones sitting around. So I don't need this Passion disc but I'm going to have to buy one just to know unless you can, you know...shut up. :|

Well you could just ship a premium Cyclone to me, and not only will it get thrown, it will also get compared to a Passion for you. Should save you between 10-15 bucks that way.

Correct to a degree. Had a chance to have both in hand today at my local play it again. The lip on the passion is slightly modified. But you're right it's a retooled cyclone.

I mean...the shoulder might be flatter...so Cyclone3? I don't have an old Cyclone to test its lip against so I'll take your word for it. But in the hand and throwing it...it reminds me of my old ESP Cyclone.

I'll trade you a passion for some TP Cyclones :p

Noticed a lack of profile and rim pics:

iEqjzOol.jpg

L6TdWe5l.jpg

My wife has a pair of them. Both of hers are very flat. I've thrown them in a field. I'm not a big arm and I can cleanly throw understable discs fairly well but I found the Passion a bit too understable for my liking.

I honestly don't know off the top of my head what numbers they put on the Passion but I'd probably call them a 7/5/-2.5/1.

Maybe domey ones have a little more integrity?

My wife has a pair of them. Both of hers are very flat. I've thrown them in a field. I'm not a big arm and I can cleanly throw understable discs fairly well but I found the Passion a bit too understable for my liking.

I honestly don't know off the top of my head what numbers they put on the Passion but I'd probably call them a 7/5/-2.5/1.

Maybe domey ones have a little more integrity?

I'm like a 340ish arm and this one holds up very well. Pops up from a smidge of hyzer and has a nice (but not aggressive fade) as it slows down. It's weight is 170-172g.

I'm like a 340ish arm and this one holds up very well. Pops up from a smidge of hyzer and has a nice (but not aggressive fade) as it slows down. It's weight is 170-172g.

Maybe the dome helps. I don't have pictures but when I say my wife's are flat I mean they are really flat. Pretty sure hers are pretty close to max weight. I was only throwing them maybe a fuzz over 300' but they would pop up from hyzer and immediately start drifting right and just keep drifting right and would eventually fade back a smidge but overall I would say they were landing sixty to eighty feet right of where I would have expected them to land.

I was also throwing some FD's and Craves that day and the particular Passions that I was throwing were quite a bit less stable in comparison.

I guess maybe if someone is looking for flippier Passions maybe they should look for some flat ones?