• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the oldest course still alive?

Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Lebanon, TN. Steady Ed design circa 1976 I believe, not the oldest but there can't be much older than that.

actually it was installed and designed by the State Parks in 1979. Steady Ed did walk the course and offered a few design changes before installation. Tennessee's first.

Found this

picture.php

Probably Morley or Hahamongna Park.

I know in the Chicago area that West Park, Community Park and Adler Park are all really old have had stood the test of time.

I'm so glad you posted this . . . I read the article and when I clicked on the link for the first PDGA web directory and it took me to the wayback machine . . . man did it take me way back. So neat to see the listings with their hole distance graphics and descriptions I still remember to this day.

That resource back in the day really helped me find some courses outside of a couple local ones.

Raintree Park is where i discovered the game, as a 17 year old on a Schwinn 10-speed bike.
Also where i got my first ace in 1989.

:thmbup::thmbup: It has not changed much. The trees are likely a lot bigger, lol.

I was up that way at a U-16 USA Hockey National Championship tournament (had a cousin in from Chicago playing) and the arena was on Big Beaver and John R. After the games, I stopped up to Raintree for a quick round. The game has passed up this kind of track, but it was nice. Old school park course. I hope people keep putting these kinds of courses in the ground. We need family friendly courses to keep up with the explosion in popularity.

I did not know you were from this area. If you get back home, give a shout. The real question is Varsity, Le Tour or Continental??

There are a few courses in northern VA that were built around 1979-1980, I believe one or more were designed by Steady Ed. Burke Lake, Pohick Bay and Bull Run.

There are a few courses in northern VA that were built around 1979-1980, I believe one or more were designed by Steady Ed. Burke Lake, Pohick Bay and Bull Run.

Bull Run has been redesigned since then. Burke was designed by Scott Zimmerman I think. Pohick is purportedly a Headrick design and still exists in pretty much the original state. Bayville (Headrick design) is the oldest course in VA (77) however and possibly second oldest still existing on the East Coast (?).

THERE'S THE LIST!! Thanks TP. I've got it in hard copy, nice to have a link to it again.
Funny thing, on a quick run through, FL and SC have all their oldest courses marked out, there's a chance for someone to update those!

Now onto my soapbox! - In NC, Horizons in Winston-Salem in 1982, Kentwood and Cedar Hills in Raleigh in 1983 and 1984. Those are STILL the only permanent courses installed in those two cities. :doh: :thmbdown:

THERE'S THE LIST!! Thanks TP. I've got it in hard copy, nice to have a link to it again.
Funny thing, on a quick run through, FL and SC have all their oldest courses marked out, there's a chance for someone to update those!

Now onto my soapbox! - In NC, Horizons in Winston-Salem in 1982, Kentwood and Cedar Hills in Raleigh in 1983 and 1984. Those are STILL the only permanent courses installed in those two cities. :doh: :thmbdown:
I was always amused that Huntsville, AL installed their second course in 1977. I think it's the first town with two courses. That to me flies under the radar.

I guess you could say technically Pasadena, La Mirada and Huntington Beach are all in LA, but...

When I moved to Huntsville, I knew Brahan was old, but it amazed me to find out is in the first handful ever. Especially since Cali is where the first course is. Every time I play Brahan or Redstone, I get this cool feeling that I am in the midst of history. Also it is neat to get to talk to #33 Tom Monroe when he is chillin' at Brahan.

Bull Run has been redesigned since then. Burke was designed by Scott Zimmerman I think. Pohick is purportedly a Headrick design and still exists in pretty much the original state. Bayville (Headrick design) is the oldest course in VA (77) however and possibly second oldest still existing on the East Coast (?).

I play Bayville most weeks and enjoy chatting at the old timers bench when the guys are there, a few of those guys have played there since the beginning and tell me Bayville is the oldest course on the east coast, and Headricks 5th overall? It seems to of been redesigned in 2016, and maybe 2012? Perhaps other times prior. Holes 1-12 I'm pretty sure are not the original design and rerouted. 13-18 tweaked and maybe 15 left alone? There are some relics on the course from the past, a few too small tee pads in use, and a few tee pads not used almost buried, old concrete. Also a few no longer used pole stubs hammered in. I like seeing the disc golf history.

For anybody planning on bagging Bayville, each hole has 2 baskets and 5 tee's ( 2 concrete) to choose from, beginner/family tee all the back to the pro tees. Bayville was my first course, and review. I really need to rewrite and give it a proper review. Hopefully soon.

Some locals have told me that the year established listed for Audubon Park in Garland Texas is just the year it got baskets, and it had tone poles back in the 70s and painted trees for targets before that. What is the criterium for when a course first exists? Surely there were courses back in the 60s that just didn't have baskets yet?

Some locals have told me that the year established listed for Audubon Park in Garland Texas is just the year it got baskets, and it had tone poles back in the 70s and painted trees for targets before that. What is the criterium for when a course first exists? Surely there were courses back in the 60s that just didn't have baskets yet?

Yes there were certainly object Frisbee golf courses in the 1960s and early 1970s before disc golf existed. Our neighborhood pool had a 9-hole object course in 1970 or so, and we could check out Wham-O Frisbees at the pool office. They even ran tournaments on 4th of July and Labor Day.

But I think the original question was the oldest disc golf course, which requires baskets.

But now I am curious when tone poles entered the picture. :confused:

Latest posts