• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the purpose of the new Ching baskets?

Let me be clear... I am just hoping that someone states this is all a joke... the basket/bucket idea is less than ideal... but nothing would surprise me from the guys at Ching.

the only discs you are allowed to bring to play on a net basket are a shark, mako, or piranha. oh yeah, and a monarch.

Let me be clear... I am just hoping that someone states this is all a joke... the basket/bucket idea is less than ideal... but nothing would surprise me from the guys at Ching.

I'm just messing with you. I hope it's a joke too, since the basket is a joke no matter what.

Are you serious? I don't personally think even a buck would do it for me. I am as stumped as everyone else on the purpose to this. ;)

Very serious. If the price is right, I would buy 18.

If you could replace the flagstick on a regular ball golf course with this and play disc golf then I would be game. Of course I don't want to see our chain baskets getting replaced. However it would be pretty awesome if you could convert a ball golf course for disc play with these. However they could kick us out of the country club as soon as we throw a spike hyzer at the green!

I was thinking April Fools as well however this basket is showcased on the front page of the ching website.

Last edited:
Despite it being April Fool's, I think the basket is conceptually a good idea. If disc golf got rid of the chains, we'd hear a lot less bitching about how unfair the basket was, the chains pushed my disc back out, oh what crappy baskets these are, etc. I hear that gripe several times during every round of disc golf I play. And when it does happen to you, when your disc is spit out, it does feel random and cheaty. I think the basket gives the illusion to the player that the thing is predictable. But it isn't because it has dynamic hanging chains at the center of the system.

If the basket was just a hole with a pin, which is what this thing is, then there would be no question--you either went in or you didn't. The chains have made the sport both easier, and more random. I love the sound of the chains, but that could be kept by making the chains under the basket (where this jokey thing's net is). Make the pole unremovable and build the whole thing out of metal.

Anyway, I'd love to try it. It can't hurt to try it.

The problem is that disc golf is not an up and down game like golf or horseshoes. Discs fly horizontally, so our target needs to be able to catch horizontal shots. No one would even make a 100'er on that basket. Those shots aren't made very often as it is, but it seems like almost everyone that plays long enough hits one now and again. Those are the things that get you hooked on the game and keep you coming back.

Rope is not a good idea. Picture your hyzer spike hitting the net dead center and them bouncing right out.

You'll make this face:

images

The problem is that disc golf is not an up and down game like golf or horseshoes. Discs fly horizontally, so our target needs to be able to catch horizontal shots. No one would even make a 100'er on that basket. Those shots aren't made very often as it is, but it seems like almost everyone that plays long enough hits one now and again. Those are the things that get you hooked on the game and keep you coming back.
I took my mother-in-law out once. She hit a 80-foot n00b nose-up hyzer.

The next week she had a bag and discs.

We were discussing this thing on DGR yesterday...It would make sense that it was an April fool's thing, but unfortunately its not that clever.

I don't know about that one, but the Ching skill shot has patented snatch action...how can you go wrong with that?

The Patented CHING® Skill-Shot™ DGT revolutionized the game with performance and affordability in 'traditional' style portable targets.

* PDGA Approved
* Powder coated steel construction
* 2 color screen printed logo
* Colorful 600 denier polyester basket & canopy skins
* SNATCH Action-Series Networked Axil Tension Chain Harness
* 16 real chains
* Complete portability - weighs less than 25 lbs.
* Sturdy tripod base
* Handy custom shoulder bag

(Distributed exclusively through Innova)

I'm gonna get my county's garbage cans pdga approved;)
I give em credit for trying- just seems they don't think things through.

It states that it's adjustable, so I think if it was adjusted correctly (by lowering the front edge and raising the back edge), you would be able to putt like normal, but only from one side instead of 360 degrees in any direction.

We have a local course with homemade metal baskets using the same philosophy. They basically closed off 1/2 of the opening of a normal basket so you always have to land your approach on one particular side in order to have a decent putt. Interesting in theory, but I don't find it very fun most of the time. It just sucks to park a 250' approach shot to within 10' only to be on the wrong side of the opening.

Latest posts