• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the trailing arm/hand timing supposed to be like in a backhand?

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Having trouble with this one. Currently leaving my trailing hand (left hand as a righty) pushing against my thigh to get the proper "chest high" feel after release, but the second I try and "reach across","punch down", or "swim" with my left, the timing is all messed up. When do you guys "trigger" your trailing hand whether it be punching down, reaching across, etc? I tend to start my forward motion with a left foot twist/left knee down cue. Does the trailing hand reach/punch/swim come in at the same time? Slightly after? Slightly before? Any tips for getting that proper feel/timing? I know for a fact it adds juice to a throw because I've felt that extra whip from it a few times, but I just can't get that timing and release angle consistent when I add it in. I need to get past this hurdle where my left arm isn't doing much.

Trail arm leads the hips into the shift/brace to help leverage/fulcrum the swing. My lead arm does nothing until the brace breaks/bends the elbow to catapult forward.

If you practice in a pool or with a pool cue stick, you will understand why it is a swim move, and not a downward punch.

I don't try to twist the rear foot or drop the knee, those are effects, not causes.

Try different variations.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124523

I learned this timing best as part of the pendulum drills from SW22.

In a perpetual pendulum drill, shortly after the body pulls the right arm, you can try a baby swim move with your left arm.

If it's too early, it feels like it either does nothing to the throwing arm or slows the throw down.

If it's late, it will tend to cause you to accelerate late and "spin out" over your brace.

If it's on time, it will feel like it's accelerating the gravity-induced effect of the arm along the pendulum swing behind the brace.

Worth mentioning that Overthrow DG has their "Twirly/Slappy Bird" drills which help to get the feeling of tension across the back and loose elbow, but I found it much easier to learn it when gravity is pulling the arm in the pendulum downswing. Also beware: while doing Slappy Bird I inadvertently developed a way too floppy wrist that SW is trying to undo (that may just be a "me" problem :-0).

Edit: and thinking "swim" is correct- even if people use a closed fist like Simon, they're moving the hand inward toward the midline/opposite hip and counterrotating through the throw. Some are more subtle than others.

Last edited:
On top of what SW22 has stated and shown, the teacher from Robbie C's video (Mike) does a good job of showing what it looks like:

Forgot to say that the analysis starts around 3:30 in the video.

Latest posts