• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is YOUR home course?

My home course would have to be Alimagnet in Apple Valley MN. I play there the most and go there when I want to try new things. Personally I prefer to take the extra 5min and drive to Kenwood since it helps you develop your shot selection and is satisfying if you can dominate it, but off just a little and you will be punished. Only real reason for not counting Kenwood as my home course is the fact it takes roughly 1 and a half to 2 hours to play a full round vs 30min at Ali and that Kenwood is not open to the public during school hours.

I'm not sure "home course" and "best course" around are the same.
The title of this thread vs the question are totally two different things. My home course has been Sedgley Woods for 25 years which is in a nearby PA from where I live. The closest course to me is now Stafford Woods in NJ yet it's not my home course. The best courses that I have played are literally more than 700 miles from me.

I am lucky to have four 18 hole courses within 15 minutes of home. When I want a challenge, I go to Alum Creek. When I want a long round, I hit up Hoover (Brent Hambrick). When I want to do a quick-casual-mob round, it's Blendon Woods.

But when I just want to play and enjoy playing, I go to Kinslow in Sunbury. It's not the hardest or "best", but it's my home.

The title of this thread vs the question are totally two different things. My home course has been Sedgley Woods for 25 years which is in a nearby PA from where I live. The closest course to me is now Stafford Woods in NJ yet it's not my home course. The best courses that I have played are literally more than 700 miles from me.

In fairness, the O.P. mentioned the best course "in or near your city."

Original "home" course (where I started playing) is Horizon's Park in Winston Salem, NC. Now that I live in Raleigh, home course is Cedar Hills (where I learned to play). Best course in or near my city would be Rockness Monster in Roxboro, NC or Rock Ridge Park in Pittsboro

General Sibley DGC is my "home" course. Would have loved if BRP was around when I was in high school...that would have been my home course as it's the closest/best to me then.

I don't like the concept of having a "home course," and kinda shun the idea of playing the same course twice in a row, so I make an active effort to bounce all over among about a dozen courses or so. What can I say? I'm a DG slut.

That said, I definitely log the most rounds at:
1) Fire Fighters Park... leagues and club tourneys... I pretty much never play a casual round there anymore.
2-4 in no specific order) Cass Benton Hills, Bonnie Brook, and Kensington Black Locust are closely bunched up after FF, mostly out of convenience to work/home.

Home course: H.A. Meyer Park, which is a two minute walk from my front door.
Best course: Rollin' Ridge, which is about a 35 minute drive.

my home course is Flip City. Although I live 1:20 from it, it's still my home course...

But Fallasburg is so good!!! I live in Alto, so Fallasburg is a quick 10 minute jaunt or so. Love the course. Just for this satanic hole...
bf6b7803.jpg

496' uphill with a narrow lane. Luckily not much ceiling .

However, I am also really liking Grand Rapid's newest course, Grand Isle/Grand Rapids Rotary North. Good change of pace for the GR area courses. Plus, dem Arroyo baskets are STELLAR!
588.jpg

Best? Favorite? Home? All three of these qualifyers could have a completely different answer.

The OP asks for best and home. Best is purely subjective and could be different for different folks so I'll leave that alone.

Far and away my favorite course is Hawk's Landing in Eden, NY. Hawk's Landing for my money is the benchmark that all courses should try to emulate. Its a private, pay to play course with more amenities than I'd care to list and more is on the way. But at 43 miles away from my home I don't consider it my home course even tough I play there about once a week.

At a mere 4 miles from my front door my "home" course is Joseph Davis SP. Its where I learned the game and where I've played the most. JD, or The Dizzle as is locally known is a fairly easy course and perfect for beginners and families. It can get pretty crowded on weekends. A perfect course for someone looking to get an ace.

I don't like the concept of having a "home course," and kinda shun the idea of playing the same course twice in a row, so I make an active effort to bounce all over among about a dozen courses or so. What can I say? I'm a DG slut.

That said, I definitely log the most rounds at:
1) Fire Fighters Park... leagues and club tourneys... I pretty much never play a casual round there anymore.
2-4 in no specific order) Cass Benton Hills, Bonnie Brook, and Kensington Black Locust are closely bunched up after FF, mostly out of convenience to work/home.

Perhaps not everyone has a "home course".

Some do out of convenience---one course is much easier to get to. Some out of quality---there's one local course that's significantly better than the others. Some only have one to choose from.

I have a (1) home course, (2) a second course I actually play more, and (3) a third course that, with the other two, account for the vast majority of my rounds. It's a long drop-off, rounds-played-wise, after that.

Castle Hayne Park DGC near Wilmington, NC is my home course.
Three other courses within about 30 minutes of my house and haven't played any of them in over a year.

Classic Carolina woods course with a bit more length than most. Now that we have the three other red and white-level courses for more casual players, the Castle course is starting to grow back some of its teeth. Would be fantastic if the local club would get a bit more progressive and install alt tees and baskets, but I'll take what I can get.

Perhaps not everyone has a "home course".

Some do out of convenience---one course is much easier to get to. Some out of quality---there's one local course that's significantly better than the others. Some only have one to choose from.

I have a (1) home course, (2) a second course I actually play more, and (3) a third course that, with the other two, account for the vast majority of my rounds. It's a long drop-off, rounds-played-wise, after that.
Dave took the "home course" concept a bit too literally...:p