• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What percentage of lost discs do you have returned?

How often do you get your disc back

• Every time

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Never

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • 25%

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • 10%

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • 5%

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never lose any discs

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
I try to make it easy for folks to do the right thing. All my discs are marked and the word REWARD is prominately displayed.

I still only get about 25% back, usually premium stuff. The base plastic almost never comes home.

I chose never lose them because I don't mark my discs. I figure I'm making someone's day if they find it. Makes the loss easier to take.
But I've only lost one, in a place I doubt it will ever be found (sad!), because I'll spend hours looking, if I have to.

For a while, I got most of my lost discs back, over 50% return rate. The past year or so, almost none have come back; I think I got called about one Krait that the wind redirected into the lake. I ink all my discs with name and phone number.

Most unusual story with this was a white F2 Pro SL that I lost in or near the lake. Didn't find it, moved on. Some months later, in winter, a guy was trying to get a disc off the thin ice on the lake. This guy was going crazy, trying to climb a tree that overhung the lake to try to get a long stick on it. I tried the disc retriever with the string and another guy used a stick from the shore. We finally got the disc back and I asked what disc it was. He said he didn't know. When I looked at it, I saw that it was my lost P-SL, that he'd dyed over the name and number on the bottom and the unique marking on top. I didn't say anything; I'd abandoned my disc and he'd found it. If he wanted it so bad he was willing to do a complete dye job to eradicate previous signs of ownership, then consider it my gift.

Later on, I saw that same disc again, in the used bin at PIAS. I suspect he threw it into the water and someone else found it and sold it at PIAS. I didn't buy it back; I'd moved on.

As to discs I find, I always will call the number if there is one. Some have said I could keep the disc, some persons were in places like California, Wyoming, Texas, and Tennessee, and said I could keep the discs. Some I arranged to return; they sound grateful their discs were found, and Disc Stalker is good about holding discs for the owner to retrieve them. Some don't call back, like the person whose Groove I found in the middle of the fairway. If they don't call back or if the disc isn't inked, I own another disc...

I would have been tempted to call him out on it, even with a "so why did you dye my P-SL?" That is a unusual one... Bet you were shocked

I would have been tempted to call him out on it, even with a "so why did you dye my P-SL?" That is a unusual one... Bet you were shocked

Not really shocked, but somewhat disappointed that the guy didn't do the right thing and call the number. I likely would've let him keep it if he had, or given him another disc in return. And like I said, I'd lost it, he found it, I hope he got more out of it than I did...

I try to make it easy for folks to do the right thing. All my discs are marked and the word REWARD is prominately displayed.

I still only get about 25% back, usually premium stuff. The base plastic almost never comes home.

That's a smart idea. What do you give them if they accept the reward?

I bring a duffle bag of 40+ discs and empty it out on a handful of holes at my local course. With only 30 minutes or so on my lunch break and me running through, I end up loosing quite a few.

Name, face, phone and pdga number on a custom stamp, and I still only get 25% back.

I call all the numbers because I hold the L&F for Joralemon. I estimate my return rate is about 75-80%, as some people are a long ways off and not that attached to some of their discs.

As for how many of MY lost discs that I get back, it's probably 90%. I assume its because the majority of players know my name and respect me for the leagues and tournaments I run. Also because I don't lose many discs.

I have had great success here in Wisco. Easily 75%+ of all the ones I have lost in the past two years. Hard to believe since some of them were deeeeep off the fairway. I don't really care to get them back; if I like a disc so much I don't want to loose it I just don't throw it... Kind of fun though to see where they end up and meet good hearted people.

Guy called me from California with a disc I lost 12 years ago in central Wisconsin... Not sure how it made it that far but pretty cool.

Lady called me from NOLA last summer after I grip locked a drive into a gator swamp. Not sure what she was doing in there but she wasn't a discer.

Elderly lady called me a few months ago after finding one of my discs sticking out of the melting snow at my home course. Met her at the course and she walked an entire round with me talking about disc golf.

One kid from southern Wisconsin sent me a very elaborate ransom note with cut out letters saying he had my disc. He asked for "1 MILLION DOLLARS!!" if I ever wanted to see it in one piece again... Pretty funny. I guess he googled my name and PDGA# and was able to find my address... that's probably not good.