• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the hell happened with Catrina at the Memorial?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
From her FB post -

"My 9th Memorial Championship has came to an end. As someone who has played countless rounds on these courses, a fourth place finish is less than satisfactory. It was a very bizarre week for me, a lot of unnecessary things happened during each round that I feel as a player I should not have to deal with. Unfortunately, life isn't fair and I am going to have to find a way to be more mentally tough when these things present them self in the future. I know I can't control what other people say or do to me but only how I react. I think some deep breaths, regrouping of my thoughts and focus would have helped but instead I threw my upset and confused about what was happening. Looking forward to try and grow and tackle these situations in the future. I did finally put together a respectable round that last round. It was by far my best putting round of the week. Hoping my driving and putting will sync up soon!

All of that stuff aside, one of my favorite people to play with won her first NT. A big big big congrats to my Finnish friend @eveliinasalonen on her win this weekend! Onnea muija! ❤️

Pic is from a video of this putt from @disc.pauly"

Anyone have any insight?

At least part of it was detailed in the coverage thread. During one round, she was about to putt when one of the new camera guys was behind the basket and moving. She asked him to move away from her line of sight and he ignored her. Paige Pierce then came over and tried to explain to him that he needed to move, and once he confirmed he was standing out-of-bounds he ignored Paige too.

Speculation -

The park cannot be closed. This is why you always see people on bikes, dogs, etc. Combine wide open and it's very easy to be distracted.

Her comments could very easily be as simple as the course not being closed to general park users and the distractions that come with it.

At least part of it was detailed in the coverage thread. During one round, she was about to putt when one of the new camera guys was behind the basket and moving. She asked him to move away from her line of sight and he ignored her. Paige Pierce then came over and tried to explain to him that he needed to move, and once he confirmed he was standing out-of-bounds he ignored Paige too.

Wouldn't of had that problem with Jomez/CCDG. Zing!

I feel for Catrina. If a camera operator had refused to move for my putt after I politely asked him, I'd have been furious, too, and I'm sure it would have affected me for a while afterward, especially if I had missed the putt.

Last edited:
I think people get way too caught up in having everything perfectly still and quiet when they putt. I will concede that if a loud gunshot went off when I was about to throw, or a crazy person was behind the basket intentionally trying to mess me up, I would probably be distracted. But if someone is talking at a normal level within earshot or someone is walking 200 feet behind the basket, get over it. If a camera man is in your line of sight but standing still filming, it shouldn't be a problem. You're a professional, you should be able to hone in on the basket and your putting routine and put it in.

i was at a tournament one time and she asked my brother in law to stop talking as one of the mpo players was putting.

I think people get way too caught up in having everything perfectly still and quiet when they putt. I will concede that if a loud gunshot went off when I was about to throw, or a crazy person was behind the basket intentionally trying to mess me up, I would probably be distracted. But if someone is talking at a normal level within earshot or someone is walking 200 feet behind the basket, get over it. If a camera man is in your line of sight but standing still filming, it shouldn't be a problem. You're a professional, you should be able to hone in on the basket and your putting routine and put it in.

This is such BS. If you ask someone to move and they don't, you're going to feel completely disrespected. By the way, bet that guy moves for, say Drew Gibson.

My first reaction was the same as this. I for one think a lot of the NEED for silence and lack of distractions is way way overblown... HOWEVER, there is an established etiquette and expectation during a high level tournament and whether or not having someone behind the basket is or is not a distraction asking them to move as she has the right to do, and then being basically ignored is a much bigger problem mentally than the fact they are there.

Someone complaining about problems at the workplace while trying to earn a living is a first world problem? I get it that you're our resident curmudgeon, but that's an interesting take to say the least.

Your deep insight and judgement aside. I am un-curmudgeony enough to understand that I will not always get the optimal work environment. I get that she is trying to make a living, but I would gladly change positions with her and take on her issues....kind of defines the idea of "first world problems". I think most of us would agree, she has a more enjoyable job than us. She is making a living, predominately doing what is a passion for most here.

I also understand that she gets it. Her post was pretty insightful, to the degree she accepts responsibility for her own distractions.

top pro golf tournaments do not allow spectators to stand around the greens. maybe they should not be allowed to stand in certain areas around the basket even beyond the 30' mark. asking that guy to move was the right thing to do. if he was moving beyond the basket but in her sightline, then he needed to go (Dbag). what a distraction to have to look at when concentrating on the putt.

Can anyone provide a definition of 802.03 A 4 "The playing area is clear and free of distractions."

It seems to me shr would have been within her rights to wait until the camera man moved, as the camera man was obviously a distraction to her. What procedures are in place to lodge a complaint with tournament management when these instances happen so that the camera man could be officially asked to move without unduly delaying the tournament? She is trying to make a living. If someone is distracting me from doing my job, you bet I will say something.

I personally like it when pros communicate with the fans like this and discuss their play like Catrina has done. Although they play at a high level, they are just human like anyone else.

Yet one more black mark against Steve Dodge. Just an absolute disaster.

Wrong. Steve Dodge's cameraman should have moved.

Latest posts