• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What tier?

JohnnyD

Greetings all. first post here. Been tracking and reviewing all forums for about eight months. Coincidentally thats when I picked up dg. Which leads me to my question. Seriously considering playing the wide open this year. never played tour before. I average about +2 @ water works 118 holes. Last week on all the long pin locations I sho out even par twice and had.a round of +4. Scores at rosedale are comparable. Average about 330 off tee with a couple rare throws 400+.question is what division should I enter? Thinking novice because I've neverd before and im sure first touny jitters will inflate my score. However I feel like I may be accused of sandbagging if I play to my ability....any thoughts?

check out scores from past tourneys...where would your scores put you in the middle of the pack? play in that division. first tourney jitters may inflate your score but that's not a good reason to play down. unless you just want to stack up plastic. novice is usually a pretty sad scene. i would play rec at minimum and possibly int depending on where your scores fall.

Given what you say your avg. scores are i'd say Amateur division, and if you suck it up and take DFL it's worth it to play with better players than yourself than to beat players you are better then.

check out scores from past tourneys...where would your scores put you in the middle of the pack?
For this particular tourney, that may not be applicable. They tend to change up the courses and layouts every year, and this is the first year that I can remember where they opened all four Am skill based divisions. With the exception of 2009 & 2010 when it was ran as a B-tier, they've generally never had divisions below Intermediate.

What I would recommend is go out to the courses the B-tier divisions are expected to be playing and see how you shoot.

I might note, this is the KC's premier event, and at $58 for a PDGA member to play in the B-tier divisions ($68 for non-members), it comes with a premier price tag. Expect many of the local players who would play above their rating in a smaller caliber event to play their rating appropriate division here. Don't be afraid to play down.

I'd go with rec for your first tourney, especially since this is an A tier, won't serve you wrong because you simply don't know, casual golf and tournament golf are 100% different

Play intermediate if you are shooting close to par. From my experience only about the top 5-10% will shoot within a couple of strokes of par in that division. I don't know how laxed you are about courtesy but in the rec division usually you will find less of it. Intermediate will provide you a more enjoyable experience for your money. Winning is just a bonus and for sure would not count on it right out of the gate. Shake those jitters off early, weigh your shot options, make smart decisions and have a good time. After all you like the game because its fun, don't ruin that and stop it when you start making it not fun. Good luck.

Thx for all the feedback. Honestly leaning towards recreational. One spot higher than novice. Simply because I've played over 100 rounds with at least 90 of them solo ( if ya dont count my golden retriever lucy). I have a tendancy to shoot poorly with people watching for some reason and I fear that will be magnified in a touny. I know thats something ive got to overcome and hope this will help. Along with leagues and such. Think perhaps I can eventually use that nervous energy in a positive way and attain an even big higher focus. If so watch out peps!

I'd say rec since its your first tourney, but based on your scores and distance you could probably hold your own in intermediate i would think granted i haven't played any of the courses in KC. It's also the same cost for both rec and intermediate. you will have an advantage over some people like me who have never played the courses (im playing intermediate). It will also be a good opportunity to play with others, and get used to it.

Whichever division you choose to play Just let the people on your card know its your first tournament so they know and help you out with little courtesy things. But most importantly have fun and play YOUR game

Mistitled thread.

Should be

What division ?

Play Rec - MA3.

I was waiting for this... I knew someone would be "that guy"... But I agree, play rec... If you dont play close to your best, but still finish high, move up... Personally I've played 3 sanctioned tournies, all in MA2, and I am now moving up. I have not won, but have 2 2nd place finishes, and a 3rd. In 2 of those, I played myself out of 1st... I feel that you should be in a division where you have to play to THE BEST of your abilities to win. When I take a 7 on the final hole, and lose by 2 (yes it happened, recently) I should move up... If I make part there, I win by 4 (the guy that beat me took a 5 on that hole)... Just my thoughts

If you have the jitters with people playing around you - go out for a local doubles night or club singles and get in a few rounds with some other players. If you find that you are playing similarly to others in your group - ask them what division they are playing - should give you a decent idea on your expectations.

Latest posts