• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what will your local store NOT carry?

multiple colors on most discs. seems like they get a batch of all 1 color and dont reorder any til those are mostly gone, which is annoying because I dont want Orange or Pink discs. They need to get more selection

That's a distributor problem, not a shop problem.

Somebody gets it

There's a distinction between what stores don't carry, and what they won't carry.

It's hard to carry everything. Heck, it's almost impossible, when you multiply the number of manufacturers x models x plastics x variety of weights; it costs a bunch just to stock 1 of each possibility. And don't mention bags, and other stuff. So there's a lot that stores don't carry because they've got to make choices.

Won't, on the other hand, makes you want to know the background story.

Having started Infinite Discs at the end of 2012, we had a super limited selection to begin. We try to carry multiple of everything now, and for that reason we aren't out of debt quite yet.

And the won't carry... yes, there are a few dealers where we've been tempted to stop doing business with (either horrible distribution, horrible communication, or other reasons).

That's a distributor problem, not a shop problem.

Sadly yes...but still annoying. I've become a huge fan of bright pink discs since they are by far the easiest to find across the variety of places I inevitably put them. They are just hard to find in the weights and plastic I want.

I believe there are a ton of layers in this discussion. The thread seems to swirl and touch on pieces of the entire topic.

Customer Service: I fully expect that any retail establishment have good customer service. It is the ones that stand out and earn my business that are excellent. Poor customer service is just a way for me to put my wallet away.

Global Market: Face it, we live in a global market and can get most anything from the internet. That being said, I try to support local businesses. Having a disc golf store, much less multiple, in a community is great. Often the owners are involved in supporting the sport, not just their business. At times, I may pay more for a disc, however it is money well spent.

Stock: This has to be a bit of a nightmare for a store owner. As a group, we all love what we love in plastic. As a group, we make up a ton of different plastic. If your business does not move large volumes of plastic, stocking tons of stuff is a business model of out of business. I think about the store owners that started selling 10-20 years ago. I sincerely doubt their original business plan is even close to in place now.

Lastly, I try to work with the local stores. Ask if they will try to carry something of interest or look to understand why they would not. If they do not currently carry it, I will like find it on the web. If the store ends up carrying it, I will ensure to at least purchase upon finding out.

Microbrews. I feel this is a sadly neglected accessory at disc golf stores. :D At one time, I believe Boise Disc Golf was considering a license to sell beer.

Depends on which store I go to.

General Store in Spokane carries pretty much everything but carries 10 times the amount of Innova compared to every other company. They have super limited supplies of Legacy, Prodigy, Discraft and any Latitude made plastic (Lat, Westside, DD)

My favorite store is Rapid Fire in Post Falls ID. They sell everything but Legacy (just don't have the room to add anymore companies at the moment). The shop is located in a laundry mat and pretty much he owns the laundry mat and car wash on the property to feed his disc golf shop. He's slightly more expensive (18.99 for Gold Line) but he offers repeat buyers discounts on the plastic (I am getting 20% off at this moment). He'll order anything for you and will let you hold discs until you can pay for them (so long as you show up the day you say you will). Jack Wardian is the man!!!! He also has Golden Retrievers.

Nobody round these parts carries any Legacy, which is a shame because they're high quality. Everything else is easy enough to find.

I can get most stuff at DD. They don't carry Vibram because of reasons mentioned previously I believe but I like the vibram rubber on my shoes not a fan of it in the discs I throw so not an issue. They don't carry salient. No grip bags but that was not because they didn't want to at one time I believe. I don't think grip wanted places to buy wholesale and resell or something like that I can't remember exactly. Everything else I have access to if I want it.

I don't get that people are surprised that huge chain stores like Dicks and Sports Authority only carry Innova and sometimes Discraft.

You really expect them to carry discs from smaller companies like MVP? Look outside of your little bubble for once.

Depends on which store I go to.

General Store in Spokane carries pretty much everything but carries 10 times the amount of Innova compared to every other company. They have super limited supplies of Legacy, Prodigy, Discraft and any Latitude made plastic (Lat, Westside, DD)

My favorite store is Rapid Fire in Post Falls ID. They sell everything but Legacy (just don't have the room to add anymore companies at the moment). The shop is located in a laundry mat and pretty much he owns the laundry mat and car wash on the property to feed his disc golf shop. He's slightly more expensive (18.99 for Gold Line) but he offers repeat buyers discounts on the plastic (I am getting 20% off at this moment). He'll order anything for you and will let you hold discs until you can pay for them (so long as you show up the day you say you will). Jack Wardian is the man!!!! He also has Golden Retrievers.

They probably carry so much more Innova because that's what sells....I get asked all the time when you getting this in or why don't you carry xyz? The reason is simple, I carry what sells, no matter how much one customer believes "xyz manufacturer" is awesome the numbers in the local market don't support their ideas. I always tell people who want something I don't carry "sure I can order it for you" most the time the conversation ends there because they don't really want said product that much over all the other brands in stock. Let's be honest, there is a ton of overlap between manufacturers, is disc "a" really gonna be that much better than disc "b" or "c" or "d" etc. etc.

Latest posts