• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an old fart doing playing disc golf?

Even if/when I need a walker (hopefully many years from now), I'll still find some way to continue to play disc golf. Hubby who's 65 (looks 50) was once told by some young guy, "I hope I can be throwing like that when I'm your age". Not sure whether that was supposed to be taken as a compliment or not:confused:

I will be 50 in october so not sure what category that puts me in. I don't wear plaid pants and I don't have a walker. I can still play over a hundred holes in a day no problem.

Forget age, we need to get fat people into this sport. That's an untapped resource right there. Is there a more fun activity that is more secretly exercise than disc golf? I mean, I lost 40 lbs in college playing basketball and eating right, now I don't do any of that stuff and I still haven't put any weight on because of disc golf a couple of times a week.

I got beat in a tourney by two fat teenagers (I'm not skinny by any means)! Also there's a fairly new state park course that has the first 9 holes wheelchair accesable, and it's not like you can really tell. I bet many 9 hole courses could be wheelchair certified.

Easier said than done. My brother has a friend who is over 300+ lbs, and he has begged and pleaded with him to come out and play a round, but he won't go.

The only old fart i'm aware of is the one in my bedroom that i let rip yesterday. still lingering. now thats an old fart!
Im 29
I got my 51 yr old dad into it recently.
I think its great! kids to seniors its sweet.
Most sports are restricted to a general age group. I dont see old farts, just seasoned vets!
I threw a tourney on a card with this guy in the 50+ group and he was -9 on 20 tough holes. I was about +5
He was badass.
I'm a Kenny Lee fan. Prez of the Delta Windjammers Club, he played the KC worlds too
http://www.twistedflyer.com/players_details.php?p_id=9

Last edited:
Age is only a number. But some of my favorite people to play with in tournaments are considerably older than I am, or at least that was the crowd back in Los Angeles.

Right now I am trying to coach my dad to be good enough to compete with the Legends in a few years.

I see a few guys in their 40s and 50s that are like me, picking up the sport again after a long hiatus or playing it for the first time this year. Most of the guys in those age groups have been playing seriously for a long time and they are damned good!

If you had told me 30 years ago that I'd be playing this game at my age I'd have told you you were nuts. I could not have conceived that the sport would have evolved as it has or the disc technology. When I started playing with the old Wham-O discs anybody who could throw over 300 feet was an absolute stud! Now that is pretty reachable by anybody who is willing to work at getting better. This adds so much to the game. Hopefully the vast majority of teens and twenty-somethings playing the game now will still be playing 30 years from now. The group of guys I play with most often are in their twenties and they push me to play better and I try to do the same for them. My preference is to play with people who are serious about bettering their game and beyond that I don't care whether they are 9 or 90.

We introduced my Mom (64) to DG earlier this spring. She called me today (for about the 20th time this summer) to tell me she played somewhere and had a great time! She and a friend played Grand Woods and she said all the college kids were hanging out now that they're back in school at MSU. Everyone was friendly and polite but they got a lot of strange looks, wondering what 2 "old ladies" were doing out there on the DG course. :cool:

She's my idol!

I was playing at College Lodge in Indiana, PA a few months ago and there were a gaggle of gentlemen coming down a giant ski hill. One of the men was at least in his 60s and about 7 others were in their 20s. I don't know what his relation was to them, but he schooled all of them with about a 400 foot drive!

Aside from the aforementioned anecdote, I've noticed that 9 times out of 10, the golfers who appear to be 50 and over seem to usually golf alone. I was wondering if anyone has observed this trend elsewhere?

Great Couple

Although I haven't stopped to say hello yet, I see an older couple playing at one of our local courses every few weeks. They are probably in their early 70's, and this course isn't a simple walk! I think it's great that they A: play this fantastic sport and B: get to do it together! I hope I'm still chukin' at that age.