• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When does a found disc become yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
So my brother posed this question to me and I didn't have a good answer for him.

He found a disc on the course yesterday and it had a name and number on it. So he called the number and left a message. It's a Katana, which he's wanted to try out and possibly add to his bag. So if he never hears back from the guy, how long should he want until he can toss it in his bag and use it for himself?

I'd try it out the day I found it. As for keeping it, I'll usually hold one for a week or two. After that I figure it wasn't too precious to the looser.

Two weeks or so. Make an effort to give it back, but dont go completely out of your way.

I would try back in another week and if no replay after a day or so...its his

I hope your brother has been playing as long as you or else that katana needs to find another bag.

I hope your brother has been playing as long as you or else that katana needs to find another bag.

He's been playing about as long as I have, but not nearly as often, so his game is still pretty rough around the edges. He does have a monster arm though.

I'd try it out the day I found it. As for keeping it, I'll usually hold one for a week or two. After that I figure it wasn't too precious to the looser.

I totally agree. I try out every disc I find the same day, but after that, I will call the person on the back of the disc. Free way to try new discs...

At common law, the finder of lost property has rights to it above all others except the true owner. So it would become yours when you find the true owner and the true owner gives it to you.

Laws in your specific jurisdiction may not be the same as at common law.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer.

Even if the OP was trolling... my answer is always the same.

A found disc is never yours. It will always be someone's lost disc. They don't have it because they lost it. Whether you choose to give it back, track them down, throw it, keep it, or give it to a newbie --- is up to you. But, it will always belong to someone else.

I write my name in them because my discs belong to me. I write my phone number in them so a finder can find me. I write my PDGA # in them, so a finder will note that I am reasonably serious about the game. As children, our big brothers attempted to teach us the wonder of FindersKeepers; it was legally and morally wrong both then and now.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts