• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When should I start incorporating run-ups?

The D.K.

Just getting back into the game after having our baby at the end of 2012. Love her to death, but we haven't had the time to play while she was so little. Now that she's big enough to go with us and ride around the park in her stroller, my wife and I are trying to get back to playing at least once a weekend.

Towards the end of my run before the baby was born, I was being instructed by a lot of the better locals that I shouldn't even try to do run-ups so early in my career (if you can call it that :doh: ). Once I stopped trying them, I did notice a good upswing in control and distance (probably a 50' increase and much less time spent in the woods for sure). As I'm getting back in, I'm noticing that I still have pretty good control, but my distance isn't close to what it used to be. I think I'm throwing my Leopard about 200' to 225', and maybe a bit longer than that when I can get it to come out just right (nose down and whatnot).

So my question(s) is this: Do you think I should wait until I feel like my distance has returned from stand-still throwing before getting back to a run-up? Or possibly keep throwing stand-stills until I plateau? When did you guys mixing in your run-ups?

Most people don't use run ups any more. It doesn't add that much distance, and can end up making control harder. You might want to work on an X-step instead, and try getting your body mass into the throw for more distance. Someone will prob throw up a link for you, or check out the technique forums and watch some vids.

Most people don't use run ups any more. It doesn't add that much distance, and can end up making control harder. You might want to work on an X-step instead, and try getting your body mass into the throw for more distance. Someone will prob throw up a link for you, or check out the technique forums and watch some vids.

Thanks for the reply. The run-up I was referring to is the 4-step x-step, is this the run-up that has been eschewed for a simple x-step and throw?

I prefer a simple X-step myself, you have to figure out what is best for you, but either way you should see a distance increase. I would start developing one right away as opposed to waiting.

I prefer a simple X-step myself, you have to figure out what is best for you, but either way you should see a distance increase. I would start developing one right away as opposed to waiting.

Perfect, I'm going to just add a simple x-step and see how that works. I think the added weight shift would be good for the throw, and it shouldn't affect control much since I'm not building up a ton of wobble with a dedicated run-up. Thanks much. :clap:

Yeah, I eliminated my run up in favor of a simple X step very early in my game. My timing, distance and control improved immediately. My plan for the future is that any distance gains come from improved timing and form, and not from adding energy that does not reach the disc. When I've maxed out distance from all other sources, I may add the run up back in. That will likely be years and years down the road.

This is exactly what I need to hear. I'm super excited to get back out there Saturday and give the simple X-step a shot. Here's hoping for my second birdie ever! (First one came on a 220'-ish hole with a dogleg to the left. I cheated on that hole and threw a disc I'm technically not supposed to be throwing at my level: a Champion Monster.)

This is a joke right. A run up before your x step can add a significant amount of distance to your throws. I will always do a run up to throws I need to power up. Sure maybe for someone who is only throwing 250' its not going to help them but Ill get probably another 100' on my drives with a run up as compared to without a run up.

The two people that originally got me into DG used a run up into the x step to drive.. With that being said I thought I had to do the same lol.. Which for a beginner I didn't realize that was the reason for my errant throws and resulting in short drives because of my release :doh: after looking at alot of the pro tips videos I recently figured that out and now only use a X step on the tee pad which has resulted in me learning my release properly and as a result I'm up to throwing 300' consistently and where I want them. :clap:

After my last couple rounds yesterday I birdied more than I ever have because I had more control.. That being said I wouldn't limit myself to just that and look forward to incorporating more steps into a run up as I go along. I have seen first hand what the run up players can throw and believe it does add momentum as long as it's controlled. :thmbup:

I've only been playing for about 18 months, and gave up on a run-up fairly early on. I've gone from a standstill to a single big step and seen my distances continue to increase. I generally bring my lead foot back to just behind my back foot, tap it there, and then step into my drive. This is essentially the final part of an X-step.

In the past couple of weeks I've been doing field work with a simple 3-step approach. I am RHBH, and taking a small step forward with my lead (right) foot, crossing behind with my left foot, and then the final step forward with the drive. I am doing this very slowly and deliberately and concentrating on keeping that final step under control.

When I am successful keeping it slow and smooth I feel it helps with my follow-through and adds some distance. If I screw it up at all I lose some distance and a lot of accuracy, usually by throwing nose-up.

I'm going to keep doing the field work and then incorporate the 3-step into my game. No Fred Flintstone run-ups for me,but I think that an effective 3-step approach will help my game.

Dion Aryln really explains it the best. Now this would be for the more advanced player or a player that has a smooth consistent throw looking to add a bit more distance.

Start Play at 4:15

I think the run up can only be used effectively if you have already mastered your form. Too many disc golfers try too hard and go for too much power and end up with less distance and no accuracy. Have you ever watched someone who has great form. It looks like they are barely trying and still get amazing distance. Practice the x step and go for accuracy first and distance later. Believe me the distance will come. Practice shorter controlled stand still throws and this will improve your accuracy and distance as well. Make sure you are doing it correctly or else you will just have to break these bad habits in the future. Will Shusterick has a great video on youtube that shows proper technique. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=driving+instruction+will+shusterick&sm=3

This is a joke right. A run up before your x step can add a significant amount of distance to your throws. I will always do a run up to throws I need to power up. Sure maybe for someone who is only throwing 250' its not going to help them but Ill get probably another 100' on my drives with a run up as compared to without a run up.

No joke fool, trying to help, not insult other users.

Latest posts