• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When your course is overrun by yahoos

Peterb

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Yesterday during the weekly dubs, my buddy was putting on hole 11 at golden gate park. A player in the group in front of us on 12 starts yelling at his buddy...very loudly, about where his disc might be. So my friend politely asks him to keep the yelling down since we're playing for money, and tries to educate about course ettiquite. Well, homeboy would have none of it. Instantly, he starts yelling about he doesn't need to take no sh*t from no one, etc. eventually, he walks on, and we move on to hole 12.

After driving on 12 we realize that the guy has put several large logs in the basket, just to be a dick. We remove the logs and then wait as he and his group (which includes his girlfriend BTW) walk past the pin for 12 onto the 13 fairway. We're silent and wait patiently for this douche to pass, but as we're waiting, he comes with the "what the "f*ck are you looking at?" garbage. We reply that we're waiting for him to move on, so that we can putt. He doesn't, and continues to scream obscenities at us. He then picks up a stick the size of a baseball bat and a rock and begins to come at us. Lots of verbiage is exchanged and finally I pull out a video camera, which I happened to have on me, to tape the incident. I told him that if he assaults us, we will have it all on video and he will go to jail and we will sue him for what little he owns. That effectively ends his rant, though he did place more logs in the 13 basket.

So what to do when your course is overrun by jerks? People who carry one disc and 6 beers (or more?). When course etiquitte is ignored despite signs. Is it time to start thinking about more private courses? Pay to play?

Side note, my friend got an ace on hole 14. right in the face of the jerk who was waiting to play on 15...

The minute he starts comming at me with a stick and a rock, I probably would have snapped and it would have been settled one way or another. Either he would have been going down or I would have been but for me it would have been self defense.

A stick and a rock and a bad attitude? Maybe he was looking for the ball golf course!

The minute he starts comming at me with a stick and a rock, I probably would have snapped and it would have been settled one way or another. Either he would have been going down or I would have been but for me it would have been self defense.
Ditto. he was prob having a bad day or is always like that. It would be hard to go around smacking off like that all the time and not finally smack off to the WRONG person. You could prob go back and play many rounds and not run into this DB.

Wow.
I guess I would have defended myself w/ extreme prejudice, then called the cops.

wow, does stuff like that happen often at your courses? I have been an advocate of pay to play for a while now. I think it will help weed out some of the unsavory people from the courses. No more than $3 for a day pass would really help to cut down on this type of stuff and would help fund course maintenance.

I know of a course were this is a problem. Tons of one-two disc throwers, young, and just want to show off for their girlfriends, or just want to drink. I have noticed that usually the jack asses don't come around till after 2pm, so if you can play before then, you will have a better chance at not running into them. I have been to the same course at 8am, and I had the whole course to myself.

I've never ran into anyone like that but if I did, I would probably kick them in the junk and then laugh in their face.
jk
I would try to avoid any conflict. If they think they are a better person than me, I would challenge them to a round and kick their butt!

The videocamera was really the tool that prevented any sort of brawl. While I'm certain we could have taken him and his posse, the point is to avoid the conflict in the first place. Thankfully that was the result. One of the sadder aspects of disc golf's popularity is that many of the new players simply don't understand any course rules or etiquitte. I've been playing for 15 years now...long enough to know not to shout on the course (unless there's an ace) while people are putting nearby.

never ran into anyone that bad but i do think a lot of young kids don't quite get the ettiquite of the game....that is one reason i made a private course in my back yard.. also one of the reason i like to drive to go a course, destination courses are always pretty DB free

I know of a course were this is a problem. Tons of one-two disc throwers, young, and just want to show off for their girlfriends, or just want to drink. I have noticed that usually the jack asses don't come around till after 2pm, so if you can play before then, you will have a better chance at not running into them. I have been to the same course at 8am, and I had the whole course to myself.

Reminds me of our one plant we had on a bad side of town in Chicago where they only ran 1 shift and did it earlier than everyone else to get out of there by 3 when the bumbs and gang-bangers started to wake up.

It wasn't 80played or Apothecary was it?

Bwahaha! Seriously though, I think you should have taken advantage of the situation to learn to putt with distractions. Telling a drunk TDD about his manners in front of his girlfriend is never a good idea. Unless you want to throw down, in which case I say its a good way to instigate. I'm not saying you were in the wrong, I'm just saying that maybe not telling him about his etiquette and just taking a 10 minute break to give a little distance might have prevented the situation.

Or beat the poop out of the guy, especially when he comes at you with a weapon. But it doesn't sound like you're the beating a drunk guy at the DG course type.

Latest posts