• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Where are the Groove Experts

I know a few people with Groove aces...

I've seen a few players that swear by them for thumbers and tomahawks, I'm guessing the meathook ones. Though in all fairness, I think some of the Groove backlash is more "I can't throw a speed 13 driver", Innova from a business standpoint made quite a bit of money on the Boss, but it really should say not recommended for those that throw under 400 ft, not 300 like they advertise, just because a Groove is advertised as an easier speed 13 doesn't mean your going to turn into Lizotte or Wiggins throwing it.

I've always been puzzled by Innova's statement that,

This channel allows this speed 13 driver to be molded in lighter weights than our other wide rim high speed drivers.

since all the ones I see are in the 170s.

The two main problems I have with the groove is the marketing is very misleading, and that the groove makes the wing very unpredictable.

Having said that I would recommend them for OH if you can find one with a really high PLH and not much shoulder. Though it's so hard to find one its almost easier just buying aFirebird even with their many variations they usually fly fairly similar.

The "groove" in the Groove is why they are so wildly inconsistent. During cooling, I guess they expand and contort and all sorts of fun things, which means no two Grooves are really like. If you find one that works for you, awesome, but do not ever count on finding another one like it. I once heard someone say "each Groove is like a unique snowflake of suck" and I never disputed the claim.

Here's some great Groove trivia.

Did you know that the Groove, and only one other Innova mold came out with Proto stamps, when they first introduced Echo Star ?

Proto Echo Grooves may be one of the rarest Proto stamped discs ever made.