• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which course in Stevens Point, WI?

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Heading to NE Wisconsin over the Labor Day holiday. I have time for just one course on the way and Stevens Point is on the route. Please, give me your recommendation, and 3 reasons to back it up, between Standing Rocks and Yulga.

Absolutely Standing Rocks. 1st reason read the reviews on here lol. SR has loads of elevation and just a phenomenal course. SR is 33 holes Yulga is only 18. The different loops of SR really offer different types of play. SR is one of the top 15 courses in the state.

Standing Rocks.

Yulga is flat as flat can be.
Standing Rocks has 33 holes.
Standing Rocks is just better.

It's really not all that close. I'd play Big Eau Plaine before Yulga, as well.

Addendum:

What say you about Zobel Memorial Park in Green Lake?

Standing Rocks

1. Purely beautiful and a great design with 33 holes
2. Very low traffic from my experiences. You can blow through those holes in no time at all.
3. Elevation. Up down and across many hills.

Yulga is fun if you shoot the blues on a low traffic day which is very rare. If you want flat land with very mature pines then go to Yulga. If you want a monster of a course that is a blast to play then make the trip to Zobel. If you want both of those kinda combined go to Standing Rocks.

Standing Rocks and Zobel are both in my top five. Standing Rocks is clearly better, but Zobel is also a great course.

I'll take Zobel over all of them.

Zobel is perhaps a top 15 in the state (pins in the longs to get to that level; and, I believe they're usually split unless a tourney has recently occurred).

Standing Rocks is great fun and very unique in it's own way; but is not quite that caliber (IMHO).

Standing Rocks and Zobel are both in my top five. Standing Rocks is clearly better, but Zobel is also a great course.

Zobel is perhaps a top 15 in the state (pins in the longs to get to that level; and, I believe they're usually split unless a tourney has recently occurred).

Standing Rocks is great fun and very unique in it's own way; but is not quite that caliber (IMHO).

I've only had the opportunity to play Zobel all longs once, and it was pretty epic. That's a course that would be absolutely awesome with two sets of permanent baskets.

Standing Rocks is pretty awesome, but to me, Zobel has a little more variety.

I wish I could tell you about my experience at Standing Rocks, but alas it ended up not happening. HOWEVER, apdrvya seems to have a pretty good idea of what Standing Rocks was like. ;),

I will be playing Standing Rocks at some point in October, just to make sure, it wont be closed at any point during the month will it?

I know BEP closes for a bit in the spring, and I swore I heard something similar about SR.

Randy pulls the baskets eventually.

I can't remember the specific date.

Can always email him on Platypus Disc's website.

I know the Chili Challenge is the first weekend in October.

I ended up getting both Standing Rocks *and* Zobel this weekend. Enjoyed both.

I will be playing Standing Rocks at some point in October, just to make sure, it wont be closed at any point during the month will it?

I know BEP closes for a bit in the spring, and I swore I heard something similar about SR.

Rocks closes from 10/31 to 5/1 every year as they have cross country skiing out there. Usually they're in a few days in to November, but I wouldn't bet on it if you're traveling.