• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which disc?

N8dogg

So I just found this great forum I wish I would have found earlier. I Just started this fun and addicting game about a month ago and am impoving everytime I play. I didnt know much about picking discs and have bought a Boss 175 which I throw pretty decent and get the same throw everytime. I have a beast 175 which I just cant figure out, I can throw my roc just as far as the beast . I would like a disc that can get me more distance and was recommended the beast by a good player. Or is there another disc that can get me max distance at my stage of frolf? Should I try a new one that is lighter , like say 165ish? I love my roc by the way:hfive: .
thanks for the help
Nate

Hi Nate;

Welcome. First thing, be aware that frolf is considered an insulting term by some disc golfers.

As for your discs, I have to wonder since you've just started if you are getting everything you should out of those discs. They're pretty fast. (Way too fast for me so I've never thrown either the Boss or Beast.) Usually a disc as fast as those requires good form, lots of arm speed and lots of wrist snap to control. Generally lighter weight and slower discs are better for newer players. As your form, arm speed and wrist snap develop then it's time to move to faster, more overstable and heavier discs. Assuming that you throw Right Hand Back Hand (RHBH), and throwing a level shot, do your discs dive left at the end of a flight? If so, you might want to go slower and lighter till your skills develop. For a main driver, I like a disc that I can throw arrow straight start to finish. Then I'll vary the disc angle, arm speed and snap to what flight path I need. HTH

Since you have a Roc and I assume, a putter...

Get a Teebird and a Leopard to drive with. If you can turn the Leopard over, you have your turnover disc, if not, you have your driver. When you can throw the Teebird with no fade, have a lot of fun scoring well, but if you must have more, move up to "9 speed" drivers such as the Viking or Valkyrie.

The Boss is a "big arm" disc. Although consistent, it hides flaws in your form because chances are you won't be able to throw it long and level... ever. It has its place, but not in a beginners bag while learning to throw properly.

As for weights, I prefer the 165 - 169gm range. (lighter on understable, i.e. Leopard and heavier on stable and overstable, i.e. Teebird or Firebird... heavier discs perform better in a headwind.) I wouldn't recommend a Firebird unless you frequently play in heavy winds... Like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. ---- or you throw forehand.

Get a Teebird and a Leopard to drive with. If you can turn the Leopard over, you have your turnover disc, if not, you have your driver. When you can throw the Teebird with no fade, have a lot of fun scoring well, but if you must have more, move up to "9 speed" drivers such as the Viking or Valkyrie.

I agree with this. The first disc I started out with was a Valkyrie. It is very consistent and doesn't need a "big arm" to throw it far or well. It well help you learn form and overall consistency.

One of the first discs I got was a Leopard...awesome disc. Does what you want it to, when you want to do it.

Welcome to disc golf, enjoy the game, and have fun!

I would say you need a midrange and a putter. Maybe try any of Discrafts Buzzz for your mid-range.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

First thing, be aware that frolf is considered an insulting term by some disc golfers.
Sorry , by no means am I trying to be insulting. I play alot of "Golf" so Frolf just seems fun to say:p
As for your discs, I have to wonder since you've just started if you are getting everything you should out of those discs. They're pretty fast.

I have been using the Boss for shots When I need it to fade and has worked out pretty well. I am sure I am not getting the true distance though I should since I just started.

I want something I can throw straight and far. Which of those 2 would do that for me. I did't mention I do have a valk , but sometimes it will turn over way to much (if turnover means to the right ;)) . thats the only thing I dont like about it.
thanks for the replys so far!! keep um coming

I have been using the Boss for shots When I need it to fade and has worked out pretty well. I am sure I am not getting the true distance though I should since I just started.

I want something I can throw straight and far. Which of those 2 would do that for me. I did't mention I do have a valk , but sometimes it will turn over way to much (if turnover means to the right ;)) . thats the only thing I dont like about it.
thanks for the replys so far!! keep um coming

If you are turning over a Valk, but can't throw the Beast, it means you have a problem with your form. I would use the Boss only for hard fadeing shots. I can only throw about 300ft, so I use my Boss as a late fade disc.

I would also recommend a Buzz as a midrange and a good putter. I prefer the Discraft Magnet myself.

The best thing you can do , is hit an open field , and just throw over and over. Before you do that though, make sure you watch some videos on Youtube, that show proper form. This is one of the best I have seen, and it really helped me:

I have seen that video and it has helped me alot. My beast I think is just too heavy for me. Its 175 and my valk thats turning over is 168 and also getting beat. I think I am going to go with a leopard or teebird and because I am stubborn get a lighter beast. I dont have a weak arm I would say but its not super long either. my longest drives are with my boss but it cuts too hard at the end (which is good for alot of shots) . So which one now. Teebird or leopard???

What plastics are the Valk and Beast in? If its a DX Valk and a premium plastic Beast then the difference in turn is quite substantial.

I have seen that video and it has helped me alot. My beast I think is just too heavy for me. Its 175 and my valk thats turning over is 168 and also getting beat. I think I am going to go with a leopard or teebird and because I am stubborn get a lighter beast. I dont have a weak arm I would say but its not super long either. my longest drives are with my boss but it cuts too hard at the end (which is good for alot of shots) . So which one now. Teebird or leopard???

Lets do this, tell us how far you are throwing the Boss, the Beast , and the Valk? How far is your avg. throw?

beast and roc-280ish
This says you need to work on nose down with drivers.

If you buy a Teebird get DX, it will glide better and show you any OAT-y goodness in your throw. DX Teebirds don't get flippy quick, they do get very intolerant of OAT and it is made obvious because DX TB's have so little fade.

Meant to say boss 300-320
valk 300. but turns over too much sometimes.
and the beast is not consistent

This says you need to work on nose down with drivers.

If you buy a Teebird get DX, it will glide better and show you any OAT-y goodness in your throw. DX Teebirds don't get flippy quick, they do get very intolerant of OAT and it is made obvious because DX TB's have so little fade.

I will get a teebird then over the leopard. I do agree I should work on nose down drives. Is 175 too heavy for a beginner driver?

Teebird will be a good one. I've been playing over 14 years and it's my main driver. When you can throw it straight from release to landing, you will be ready, Grasshopper...

I will get a teebird then over the leopard. I do agree I should work on nose down drives. Is 175 too heavy for a beginner driver?
I've generally heard that it is good to start around 168 then adjust from there. Your distances are about the same as mine and I am fairly new also; my Teebird is 174 and it really wants to fade, but my Viking is 165 and it really wants to turn over. They tell me the Viking flips due to OAT, though.

Latest posts