• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Elite Series events have the most prestige?

Shallows

Hiding in Kona's closet
Bronze level trusted reviewer
With the merger with the National Tour and Jeff Spring discussing a desire to rotate Elite Series events in the years to come I'm curious to hear what folks think are the most prestigious non-major Elite Series events. Particularly eager to hear about histories behind some of these events that COVID boomers like myself might be ignorant of.

If I had to rank the events by like "what tournament would my favorite pro want to win, purses being equal?", I'd guess something like this:

Maple Hill
Ledgestone
Green Mountain Championship
DDO

Idlewild
DGLO
Preserve
Jonesboro
Waco

Texas States
OTB Open
Portland Open
Des Moines Challenge
Las Vegas Challenge

1 Course Tournaments
MVP Open at Maple Hill
Great Lakes Open - Discraft
Jonesboro Open - Prodigy
The Preserve Championship - Prodigy
Waco Annual Charity Open - Prodigy
Idlewild Open - Dynamic Discs
Des Moines Challenge - Discraft
OTB Open - MVP
Texas State DG Championship - Lat64

2+ Course Tournaments
Green Mountain Championship - Discraft
Portland Open - Dynamic Discs
Dynamic Discs Open
Ledgestone Open - Discraft
Las Vegas Challenge - Innova

Purses being equal means it comes down to player's experience (atmosphere driven by how many locals volunteer, spectate, & attend), course balance/difficulty/player preferences, and tournament organization/presenting sponsor.

Some of these have a history as long running tour stop A-tier/NT/DGPT Elite series - MVP (Maple hill/Vibram), DDO (GBO), LVC (GCC), DGLO, Des Moines, Texas States. MVP having stuck to the same course with slight tweaking is most recognizable. MVP > DGLO > DDO > LVC > DMC > Texas States.

Idlewild/MVP/Waco are all proving ground courses for players. Balanced disc golf courses with technical & distance shots. Winning any of these is a sign of a solid all around game for the player.

GMC/MVP Open have both been at the end of the DGPT touring schedule (more pressure and interest in results) plus are run on great courses and organized well. DDO/DGLO both are very close to their sponsor's HQ and get additional support.

DDO/Ledgestone both host the non-DGPT A-tier tournament at the same time so their smaller cities have bigger fields + out of towners for the weekend. Closer to large population cities like Portland/LVC/Waco/MVP/OTB/Idlewild has an effect (ease of travel/access). Fan attendance likely skewed by time of year each tournament is held as well.

Beaver State Fling & Master's Cup would probably get equal or greater player recognition as a good number of these based on history & field strength.

Latest posts