• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Famous Athlete would Dominate Disc Golf?

Rockwell

Birdie Member
What athlete from another sport would have the best chance of becoming a Disc Golf World Champion if they trained for it?

shaun_white3.jpg

Gordie Howe. Even at 88 I bet there is still a lot of snap in those wrists.

Saw him last night at the Wings game....... That last stroke took a toll on him. :\

The ENTIRE STADIUM sung Happy Birthday to him last night......... freakin awesome moment in Hockeytown !!!!!!

Vlad Guerrero

That guy had the longest arms I've ever seen...
He also could "throw" homeruns which is ridiculous.

Honorable mention to Rick Ankiel. They say he was one of the most naturally gifted athletes ever to wear a Cards uniform and he did this...
https://youtu.be/XO1IILTeLvk

Lionel Messi. Seems odd, I know, but videotape of his play shows that his ability to initiate change in speed and tactic is faster than that of the top receivers in the NFL. That is, his acceleration and movements are the fastest out there. I suspect his distance would be amazing. On top of that, his accuracy, due to an ability to make very controlled movements, would be near the top.

Tennis players could pick up disc golf very quickly. I think hockey players could too. Both of those athletes generally have pretty good body builds for disc golf as well.

It's seems to me that traditional golf would translate well. Any of those top guys should be able to hang if given some time.

Brodie Smith? 'cuz everyone knows that ultimate is a mainstream sport. I'm sure he's played. You'd think disc golf would come naturally to him.

For baseball players, Mike Trout.

It's seems to me that traditional golf would translate well. Any of those top guys should be able to hang if given some time.

One of the issues with some of these sports suggestions is that other sport's swinging motions are generally reversed from disc golf. Golf and baseball swings both very closely mirror the disc golf backhand, but the typical right handed swing would be closer to a lefty disc golf backhand. So for Baseball players youd really be looking at switch hitters or pitchers/outfielders who would be sidearm and overhead dominant disc golfers. Hockey and tennis both have swings that correlate closer to the disc golf backhand.

I like the Mike Phelps idea from a body shape standpoint. Hed be a much more athletic big Jerm basically. Not sure he has any idea how to throw, but he might be athletic enough to figure it out

Brodie Smith? 'cuz everyone knows that ultimate is a mainstream sport. I'm sure he's played. You'd think disc golf would come naturally to him.

For baseball players, Mike Trout.

Eh. Ultimate throws are ostensibly the same technique as disc golf but not really. Most ultimate players have some funky nose up snap heavy disc golf throws that don't translate great

I don't know any elite racquetball players. But Mark Ellis used to be good in that sport before going into DG. He has the wicked forehand which he said is thrown like a corner kill shot in racquetball.

Latest posts