• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which tern is your tern?

shmilez

As most tern enthusiasts know no tern remains the same as you go from plastic to plastic. I originally had a champion tern that I threw occasionally but never really impressed me all that much. I eventually found an awesome marble red star tern in a creek at my local course. It didn't have a number or anything so i decided why not have a backup. I have a hole at my local course that is a narrow forest shot that eventually opens up after about 100 ft so I decided to try the new disc out. I go not only my farthest drive ever but also I hit chain! After that I was in love and solely throw the star tern, even going so far as to buy a backup! Which plastic do you prefer your tern in?

So tough of a question... like you said, tern enthusiasts know how versatile the disc is plastic to plastic.

I'm not going to go into all of the ones i have and why I like them, i'll just answer the question.

Right now, it's a 171 tern that's marked as "Gummy Champion". It holds the line the same as my proto star champ tern but feels lighter and is easier to throw, even though it's actually a gram heavier. I can even throw it into a bit of a head wind.

A dark purple domey CFR metal flake. Found in some brush.

I've thrown the World's Star Tern and many regular Champ Tern's but the metal flake is, by far, the best and furthest flying. The star was amazing but became extremely flippy after a few errant tree shots.

i have a mint worlds star and another mint regular star tern if anyone's interested.
they are just too nice looking for me to throw. but i've seen plenty of people bomb these on the course.

I only throw Champion, haven't tried Star or G*. My go to is the first Tern that I bought, back when they were first released. I'd probably shed a few tears if I ever lost it.

My favorite was my first tern a JL champ Tern. Took a while to break in but man would that thing fly, then I lost it. I have since got a *light tern but it just doesn't fly like the champ did!:wall:

i have a mint worlds star and another mint regular star tern if anyone's interested.
they are just too nice looking for me to throw. but i've seen plenty of people bomb these on the course.

If I could only keep one, it would be my Worlds.

The Tern is the only disc I throw that's listed as faster than speed 8. My go to distance driver is a bubblegum pink star Tern at around 174 grams. But it is getting a little beat in, so I pulled out the pink, world premiere, very first run one (same weight, but in champ plastic) I got at the 2013 BG Ams, which has similar flight characteristics.

But if I want to go more stable, or fight a headwind, I'll pull out my orange champ Tern. It has my only ace over 300'! :p

Glow Champ Terns are my maxD bread and butter. I prefer the earlier run(s) - they were stiffer and did a better job fighting back at the end. I'll carry 168-170 when there isn't much wind, fresher 175s when it's windier. And I'll carry a max weight Star for fun sometimes or when I know the course requires long anny lines.

160 G* bombs like mad. No wind and tail wind situations only. 165 champ tern in moderate wind. Otherwise I am not throwing a tern in these Texas winds.

I throw a red gstar 171 tern that is just for tailwinds with allot of room to work the disc Long gliding hyzerfliped hyzers forever.

I'm currently bagging two terns, one Blizzard @ 158 and one Starlite @150. Neither is great into a headwind, but when the weather is calm they're bombers. My Bliz is more stable and less glidey than Starlite, however, I'm fairly sure they'd fly the same out of the box if the weights weren't so far apart. I have a few other discs in both plastics and overall I'd prefer the feel of Starlite over Bliz mainly because I like my discs sans-dome.

Is Glow beefier? How about the Gummy? The proshop has both, I might try out one of each. I really liked the echo star out of the box for hyzerflip to turn bombs (bombs for me) but becomes too flippy after a couple tree hits.

Is Glow beefier? How about the Gummy? The proshop has both, I might try out one of each. I really liked the echo star out of the box for hyzerflip to turn bombs (bombs for me) but becomes too flippy after a couple tree hits.

gummy has been reported to be flippy

I own a few glows and they're definitely beefier.

I started out with the tern using a first run g* at 167. It flew great for a month or two, but there came a point when it went from being my favorite straight distance driver to totally unpredictable and touchy (from hitting trees and etc.). I tried a 168 champ stock stamp next and once I figured out how to grip it that has become the new longest and most trusted driver for still conditions in my bag. I have three dark purple-ish 168's that fly identically, and two light green 175's that seem a bit less HSS but fly the same other wise. All have a moderate, consistent dome. I had a 171 that looked like somebody tried to "flat-top" that was flippy crap and ended up in my newb/loaner box.

The only down-side to the tern for me is I can't seem to work higher lines with them, only straight and low for the most part. Tall hyzers flatten too much and go long. Anhyzers need the perfect release or else they fight back early or roll.

I used to have a Champion that I could get decent distance with, but I lost it in the weeds (tie-dye sucks for that). A friend of mine recently gave me a Gstar that he just didn't click with and it seems significantly more controllable for me. Might be the better grip with Gstar...

Latest posts