• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whitehall closes for oak wilt concerns

I should of elaborated a little more in my OP. But Glambert and Barefoot basically covered it. As an industry standard we have always promoted trimming of Oaks and Elms in the late fall, early winter to prevent the beetles feeding on the fresh wood and spreading disease. As far as on the course if there is an Oak tree close to the tee pad that is constantly getting hit, maybe its a smaller tree. It could very easily open up a wound on the tree and bring a beetle in. Than it could spread to larger trees. A professor from MSU that I get advice from said the best thing to do is protect any oaks that are getting damage from discs with some kind of barrier. This is a very tough task indeed. It can't choke the tree and as the tree gets bigger it may need adjusting. I've seen lots of courses that put up some kind of barrier in front of new trees. It would have to be something like that. It may be something we have to look at in the future.

If Barefoot744 is correct (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then any oaks damaged by discs on courses in Muskegon that are infected will be dead soon. If they don't die soon (10 to 30 days) then discs hits didn't kill them.

Give the people what they want!