• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who been given discs?

LmidgitD

Bogey Member
Figure I'd start a thread about those strange times when you've been given a disc.

The first time I've had this good luck was in Janesville, WI at Lustig. A buddy and I were walking up to tee off when a van stops. It's an older gentleman who said he lives nearby, and every year he finds discs. He proceeds to hand us four discs. We thanked him, and tried out our new discs. I gave away one to a buddy, but I kept the putter.

The second time was 2 years later at Wazaa by Black River, WI. The final water hole my buddy tosses one in the drink right on the shoreline. We hike down a steep 20ft decline and start looking. I find it after 10 minutes and he proceeds to throw. After finishing the hole we were wondering if the course was an 18 holer (never played before). As we walked down the path a scuba diver emerges from the lake! I joke and tell him we could have used him earlier, and without saying much he hands us 4 discs that he found. It was a great addition to a vacation. We split the discs up 1 per person and I offered $5 bucks for the odd disc out but my buddies wouldn't hear of it.

Edit: yes the title is awful. lol

My go to disc is the wraith. A few months back, I was playing with a round at league, and one of the guys in the group gave me his brand new champion wraith, because he said he could not get it to work with him. I gladly took it from him.

Then last week using that same disc, I hit my very first ace, I will gladly accept discs from individuals at any time especially if it will earn me an ace.

I've never been given a disc, but I'm working on my karma. A few times when someone calls after finding one of my lost discs, I'll just tell them to keep it because it's not worth the hassle of trying to get it back.

Yea, surprising though. None of the 8 discs have had ink on them. Forgot to mention that.

I have given discs to plenty of new players I see throwing only 1 disc. My dad was given a 150 class shark when I played with Thrembo and 2 non DGCR guys.

I was given a star TeeRex. Found it on the course, called the number. Come to find out he lived out of town. Said it's not worth the hassle of shipping and to keep it but thanks for calling.

disc, but not golf

I was a catch and throw lid junkie before discovering golf; any time, any weather.

Three of us were out in the snow just starting to play, when the new guy bombs one on to the roof of a neighbor's house. We were scratching our heads about what to do. That was our only disc.

Up the hill, from the next street, a guy spots our dilemma. He pulls a disc out of his car and throws it down to us, yelling "here ya go!". It was the perfect gesture at just the right moment.

These days I give golf discs away often.

I always try to keep some 150 class around for when I see younger kids or women with few or no discs. I don't use them, I always seem to find them, and they make for great starter discs for those demographics. When I first started playing my friend gave me a sweet old Z XS that I threw for years.

Over the years I've given away about as many Aeros as I've chunked into uselessness. I usually keep three or four in my spare bag.

Some years back a ran across a guy who I suspect had a affiliation with Gateway. He was passing out try out discs at JB park. One thing that stuck me as pretty cool, he was telling those to whom he gave discs that if they didn't like them to just throw them in the bed of his truck when they finished with them. If they did like the disc, just keep it. I'm sure he bought a lot of good will for Gateway that day. BTW, I tossed back the Element X that I tried.

I've never been given a disc out of good will, only as prizes.

However, I've given out quite a few. My first give-away was my Champ Sidewinder, which I gave to my nephew a couple years ago. I also setup my brother with a couple mids. Most recently, however, I gave a brand new ESP Nuke to our local pro. He's been cool in offering me advice and helping me improve, so when he jokingly asked for one, I actually gave it to him!

I hope Karma is keeping tabs...

I gave a good buddy of mine a blue CE Valk before I knew what they worth. I don't know which run it was from but I'll bet it was early, I don't even want to know at this point. :D

My first league bestshot i got paired with " unknowingly " the best pro around Pat Vitale. After we won bestshot he gave me a custom stamped disc of his, i think a elite x sumthing. It was a great experience. I have since given away some discs to new players.

Like most people here, I'm usually on the giving end.

I return lots of disc that I find in my local river, and every once in a while, a guy will tell me to just keep it. It's either too much hassle to get it back to him, or it's a disc he can't throw, or whatever. I've gotten 3 or 4 this way.

ive only gotten discs from my uncle. when i first started out when i was younger he gave me a whole set

I've given away countless discs over the years, mostly to friends and family that I've introduced to the sport. I was playing a round about a year ago with some random dude visiting from out of town. I noticed he was throwing a Crush, and made a coment that I was wanting to try one/how do you like it, and he was all "here you go" and gave it to me! I offered to give him a disc in trade, but he wouldn't have it!

Turns out I didn't care for it, and gave it to my brother who has a bad habit of loosing discs and needs my donations from time to time to keep him playing!

I'm a high school teacher and I'm trying to get an official DG club up and running at my school. One of the student's father sits on the local DG club's board and donated a tub full of 80+ discs...drivers, midrange, putters!!! I was so psyched and the students have loved it too. I've been able to encourage more and more students to get out and play a round. The physical education department purchased 9 Innova portable goals and they have also incorporated a DG unit into their outdoor ed. class. I've helped chaperon their fieldtrips to the local park...what a hoot to play some DG during my work day!