• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who really wants to help?

If you're one of the brave and dedicated people who take on this challenge, then I say kudos to you and you deserve to have the final say on the course design. I'm not saying you should design all alone, and I've found that you need all kinds of feedback in the design phase. But you should get the final say.
I don't believe that should be the case for a public course. Do you suppose the Park Dept employee or Parks Commissioner who spearheads the drive to develop a ball golf course on community park land gets the final say on design? Unfortunately, many Park Depts do not know where to get independent guidance to help determine what should be done to design a disc golf course in the best interests of their community. Private courses are a different story. The owners get what they pay for and can have it their way, as they say.

I don't believe that should be the case for a public course. Do you suppose the Park Dept employee or Parks Commissioner who spearheads the drive to develop a ball golf course on community park land gets the final say on design? Unfortunately, many Park Depts do not know where to get independent guidance to help determine what should be done to design a disc golf course in the best interests of their community. Private courses are a different story. The owners get what they pay for and can have it their way, as they say.

I think you missed my point. I think that the experienced disc golfer/designer who spearheads the effort should get the final say.

I think you missed my point. I think that the experienced disc golfer/designer who spearheads the effort should get the final say.
That's fine. I thought you were proposing that whoever spearheaded the project to get it approved should have the final say regardless of their experience. There are many courses where that has happened.

That's how it normally happens in my experience. If not that, it becomes a group consensuses when a club is heading the effort on a course.

I think this dynamic extends to all areas of disc golf, from putting on a tourney, keeping up a club website, designing a new course or working on an established one, just to name a few facets of the disc golfing community. MOST disc golfers just want to play a round of golf. Even among active tourney players, few will volunteer, even fewer will make good on their word and show up. Most everyone will add their complaints and gripes when things don't go well, but very few of us actually do any work. I run up against this all the time in trying to encourage folks to get involved with their local access TV stations to bring DG to their community airwaves. Many folks complain "there's no DG on TV," and yet when a little action on their part would change that, its like pulling teeth to get folks motivated.

Not much to do about it in the long run. A few good citizens will do the work the rest will enjoy.

Joe

So last weekend it was just me and one other person that went out and marked the course for the changes...we're actually moving tees and baskets this weekend and measuring for distances. People have gone out to the course and played where we've marked and now they want to be involved this weekend because they're not okay with the changes. I'm always interested in other views and thoughts...but it is hard when you spend several days looking at maps, walking the course and throwing from some of the new tee areas for everyone to now think it is okay to 'edit' the work.

Latest posts