• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who runs your local weekly 'mini' ?

Rodmon

I just found out something I thought was a local situation
may not be unique to our local disc golf courses at all.

Who runs your weekly local mini - tournament ?

Does your local disc golf club run the weekly Mini??

Or does a local disc golf shop run, control and hold the cash for your home course's weekly mini?

Some of us have more than one home course, and may have more than one entity running minis at any particular course.

Our local club, NHDGC, runs the local mini/monthly.

Various Disc Golf clubs run all the weekly leagues around here along with all the tournaments. Usually the stores sponsor some events from time to time but none of them run any events. We have a lot of clubs and courses here in Michigan to choose from.

Some of us have more than one home course, and may have more than one entity running minis at any particular course.

This. Multiple weekly events, run by someone in conjunction with the club, or a club-member independently from the club, or an individual who just invites people. Or all of the above, depending on which event & course.

But nothing run by the local store (which is me).

Multiple events by club and multiple events by private courses per week.

It's the offseason so the club is only running four random draw doubles events, two handicap singles events and putting league per week. Add another random draw doubles, handicap singles and women only event to our roster of events during the spring/summer each week.

I'm a member of two different clubs, the main one that I hang out with has minis on Saturday mornings, and Wednesday mornings year round monday nights in the summer. There are three or four guys that rotate running them.

^^^Same here. Me and one other guy run our weekly, and in the past, the monthly. It's just a par 3 golf course, with 9 permanent baskets though, so it's nothing big. Sometimes we get 12, sometimes 40. If we can't make it, someone steps up. The shop holds the ace pool for us and when it reaches the cap, we dip into the excess for lights, cones, tee markers, etc.

I did for 18 weeks. Even received two compliments about how organized it was ran, one thru the PDGA feedback link. Unfortunately, half of the younger locals did not prefer the organization and how I ran it, so the attendance numbers dwindled. No one else is willing to step up and run it.

Local club made money. The crowd that was left attending was better quality people. So I call it a win!

Forgot to mention I am in former Southern Nationals territory. Some of you will understand.

Last edited:
I just found out something I thought was a local situation
may not be unique to our local disc golf courses at all.

Who runs your weekly local mini - tournament ?

Does your local disc golf club run the weekly Mini??

Or does a local disc golf shop run, control and hold the cash for your home course's weekly mini?

If the shop has been doing it for a while and they're not taking a cut of the entry fees for running the mini and there haven't been any shenanigns, I don't see why this is a concern. (And even if they ARE taking a cut of the entry fees, as long as that's disclosed up front so players can make an informed decision whether or not to participate, I don't consider it a problem.)

Multiple events by club and multiple events by private courses per week.

It's the offseason so the club is only running four random draw doubles events, two handicap singles events and putting league per week. Add another random draw doubles, handicap singles and women only event to our roster of events during the spring/summer each week.

Our group is so small, one of the guys does it. If he can't make it, someone else steps up. I can't say we even have a club.

A healthy reminder of the diversity of situations in disc golf. One size---or one answer---doesn't fit all. I'm not sure any of us have an answer that applies to the O.P.'s situation.

Which I'm guessing, reading between the lines without my guesses, is all about a local store running local minis.

Who runs local leagues? Anyone who wants to. Local club, local vendor, local players all run weeklies here.

Latest posts