• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are there no courses in the middle of north Georgia?

Jessy

There's a huge scarcity directly north of Atlanta. I live by the southern edge of that scarcity (by Sequoyah Park), balancing the convenience of being able to travel south for shopping in the affluent suburbs north of the city, and north for mountain running trails. Why is disc golf missing, and who needs money in order to fix it?

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 2.46.16 AM.png

Last edited:
There's a huge scarcity directly north of Atlanta. I live by the southern edge of that scarcity (by Sequoyah Park), balancing the convenience of being able to travel south for shopping in the affluent suburbs north of the city, and north for mountain running trails. Why is disc golf missing, and who needs money in order to fix it?

View attachment 323127
Needs a young, go getter to start a club, start putting together some top shelf, professional business plans, start a couple leagues at the closest current course, run a couple tournaments, gather some capital, start petitioning municipalities, governments and park systems, raise some more capital, round up some resources, go to a bunch of meetings with above mentioned municipalities, governments or park systems, wrangle some volunteers, buy some baskets, design a course, plant some baskets, build some tee pads, grow your club....

Course are not magic, they are only born out of a LOT of hard work. Let's go!!!!

Needs a young, go getter to start a club, start putting together some top shelf, professional business plans, start a couple leagues at the closest current course, run a couple tournaments, gather some capital, start petitioning municipalities, governments and park systems, raise some more capital, round up some resources, go to a bunch of meetings with above mentioned municipalities, governments or park systems, wrangle some volunteers, buy some baskets, design a course, plant some baskets, build some tee pads, grow your club....

Course are not magic, they are only born out of a LOT of hard work. Let's go!!!!
I'm not going to do that work. But I'll pay people who will. Who and where are they?

im rich cash money GIF

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear Jessy, but ru4's right. Most Parks & Rec depts don't go out of their way to install disc golf courses (unless someone on the inside already knows about disc golf).

Someone presenting a solid proposal, with a safe, viable course layout, and a detailed budget of what it will cost to the appropriate Parks & Rec dept is how a lot of new courses come into existence.

Bottom line: disc golfers make disc golf courses happen.
Get involved with a local club, and organize the effort to make it happen.

...or convince someone else to.

Last edited:
...or convince someone else to.
Convincing is coercion. I want people who are interested in the same thing that I am, and only aren't doing it because they don't have the funds for it. I don't fit that description, but with over 14,000 courses in the world, some people do.

If no one here is willing to tell me who that is, for free, then I'm happy to pay somebody their consulting fee for telling me who fits the bill.

But that's going with the assumption that it's even possible. Maybe it's not. It's the best area in the country for disc golf and there are plenty of great courses in low population areas farther northeast, so there might be some hurdles here that don't exist in surrounding areas.

(talking in a hushed tone) do we let Jessy know courses are even more spread out in most portions of the country, including the southern part of Georgia? having courses spread out 20 miles apart isn't that far.

(talking in a hushed tone) do we let Jessy know courses are even more spread out in most portions of the country, including the southern part of Georgia? having courses spread out 20 miles apart isn't that far.
Most portions of the country are flat, hot, cold, and/or don't have trees. Asheville is the antithesis of that, and I don't think it represents a problem—it has good course density for how inaccessible it is. The surrounding regions are underutilized, but north Georgia is the worst offender.

Most of that area with no courses is the Blue Ridge WMA and US National forest, so I don't think they will ever put a course in there. Blue Ridge WMA | Department Of Natural Resources Division A few years ago there was something called the HWY 515 disc golf project that was supposed to bring three championship courses up the 515 corridor and I believe they were all going to be designed by Will Schusterick and Prodigy. That facebook page has disappeared and I don't know what happened there. Maybe try contacting Prodigy and Will to get more info on that.

Also Cherokee county has been teasing us with properties to put in another course for several years but they seem to keep getting put aside for whatever reason.

Latest posts