• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

scarpfish

Resident Grouch
Gold level trusted reviewer
Considering its a relatively non-intensive sport, its really been a question perplexing me since I started playing six years ago. Most of the females I do see out there are playing because their male relatives, or significant other got them involved. Sure would be nice to get the gender imbalance on the courses a little more equalized.

Any theories? :confused:

Like, some women in society today would, like, not be caught dead, like, sweating and potentially breaking a fingernail. Like oh my God. There is a sale at the Mall, are you kidding?

Not sure about the others. Perhaps because many disc golfers are pudgy pasty balding white dudes who will take off their shirt in public?

:^p

Same reason there are more men sitting in front of the TV on a Sunday in the Fall. Sports and competition is just in the male genetic code.

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, and there are women out on the disc golf course, and men at the mall eying a pair of shoes, but you just have to accept that there will always be an imbalance.

We have seen quite a few women disc golfing in the Atlanta area, but yeah, not to the extent you see guys and they are always with a group of guys too...never seen an all girl squad hitting the course.

My wife is really into the game (she has even told me that she dreams about it) but you would never catch her hanging out on a forum...just not her thing. I came up with my forum name about 6 years ago for a racing forum (we are sports car road racing fans) in hopes she would participate because she loves that too...she never got into it and the name has kinda stuck with me because it is easy to remember having one name on many forums.

I see a few around the courses here but like you said they are normally with a guy friend or family. My daughter showed alot of interest and practices with me in the backyard. She has her own disc and can't wait to get on the course. My wife on the otherhand won't touch a golf disc for anything.

Like, some women in society today would, like, not be caught dead, like, sweating and potentially breaking a fingernail. Like oh my God. There is a sale at the Mall, are you kidding?

Not sure about the others. Perhaps because many disc golfers are pudgy pasty balding white dudes who will take off their shirt in public?

sounds just like my sister.

My wife on the otherhand won't touch a golf disc for anything.

Sounds like my wife! I thought that I would get her into DG with me, but her first time out was her last time out. For her, it was partially the frustration of not being able to throw very far, and the fact that she'd rather be home scrapbooking.

I see plenty of women on the disc-golf courses. They are usually cleaning them and cooking me my turkey pot-pie...

My girlfriend loves playing DG with me. We've probably played about 20 rounds together and she's gotten better every time we've been out. I guess she's an exception.

I guess for the same reasons more women don't horseshoe, bocce, or what have you.
It's just the way it is.
Why don't more guys like to get haircuts, go shopping, and catch a light lunch?
It's just that way, my fiance does go out for a round when the mood is right but , shes not getting out of the house 2 hours before work to squeeze in a round.
just my two cents...

my girlfriend keeps on wanting to come out with me more and more often, and shes 7 months pregnant!!! talk about a trooper....she doesnt play right now, because she doesnt wanna strain too much but she said she wants to start playing with me after she has our baby...i think its pretty cool, especially since she used to hate dg and hated when i would play it....now shes wanting to buy her own discs and allready has her eyes on a couple in my bag :)

Considering its a relatively non-intensive sport, its really been a question perplexing me since I started playing six years ago. Most of the females I do see out there are playing because their male relatives, or significant other got them involved. Sure would be nice to get the gender imbalance on the courses a little more equalized.

Any theories? :confused:

Same reason most men don't attend Scrap Booking parties.

You know a couple of weekends ago they held a women only driving clinic at La Mirada and they had a pretty good turnout. I played through the group of women that day during there put what we have learned to good use. There may not be as many women out there playing but I think it will come to a happy balance much like ball golf enjoys.

...never seen an all girl squad hitting the course.

I actually have seen an all girl group playing casually (twice) I think I recall 4 or 5 of them w/ 2 dogs... granted I'm pretty sure most of them in the group weren't girls you could get to go out on a date with you unless, you yourself were also a woman, if you know what I mean. Regardless, it was REAL awesome to see a group of girls hitting the course.

It does seem like I see more and more women out playing... some of which are drop dead gorgeous... which was a very rare occurance in my earlier days of DG..... granted I do think Austin has a larger percentage of beautiful women than most places I've been so this observation could be skewed a little.

My wife is really into the game (she has even told me that she dreams about it)

You are one very lucky man. I keep on trying to get my fiance to try playing again, but I'm starting to think it's a lost cause....

whuupps... I messed that up.... here's what I wrote (don't want to put words in billnchristys's mouth):

I actually have seen an all girl group playing casually (twice) I think I recall 4 or 5 of them w/ 2 dogs... granted I'm pretty sure most of them in the group weren't girls you could get to go out on a date with you unless, you yourself were also a woman, if you know what I mean. Regardless, it was REAL awesome to see a group of girls hitting the course.

It does seem like I see more and more women out playing... some of which are drop dead gorgeous... which was a very rare occurance in my earlier days of DG..... granted I do think Austin has a larger percentage of beautiful women than most places I've been so this observation could be skewed a little.

My wife loves to play, we have 2 baskets in the yard and most evenings play several rounds of HORSE. We also make it to the course several times when I'm home for a 2 day span every couple weeks. When we lived together and right behind the course she would play about 3 to 4 days a week. She won't go by herself and I wouldn't want her on the course by herself neither. She was playing tournaments with me about 2 yrs ago and then after 2 back to back tournaments with no women, and getting stuck with the hacker guys she was fed up with it. We still play often, but she said she would never play another tournament because of getting stuck with the hackers. I would be nice to find a place that had womens leagues so she could get together with other women who also enjoy playing disc golf. I find the reason for not as many women playing is because of the guys run them off by trying to help too much giving way to many pointers just let them do their thing, and have fun thats what it is all about. It takes time to get better and the more fun you are having the faster you will improve.

I think the earlier posts were right. On average most men just have more of a competitive spirit than women. Of course there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. For example the last round I played I was followed by a very athletic woman who was playing solo. I was pretty impressed.

All I know is I played a tournament at Tom Bass once, on the Wilmont and Powell courses
and at the end of the day I had the same exact score as Des Reading.

Some women can hang with the guys. Heck, she BEAT many guys. roflmao.

You should see the pro women windsurfers! whoot! talk about troopers! wow.

Here are insights into a womens perspective in another alternative sport, concerning the male dominance of sports.

WOW:

Windsurfing is still a men's domain, although more women are starting to make a name for themselves within the sport. How were you able to assert yourself so well over all these years?

KJ:

When I first started, all the positions for women were filled - which means there were always 32 women in starting positions. Then everything became more complicated from the financial perspective and it was harder to go on tour- it was women that were first in line with this issue. They lost their sponsors and thus their enthusiasm to sustain in such a male domain. Now, the men are suffering with the financial dilemma just like the women and so everything in this sport is in a semi-balance again. Those that go on tour these days definitely don't do it for the sake of the money, but because windsurfing is their life and because the PWA world tour has been their dream since early childhood. This has always been my priority and this is exactly the reason why I am still participating to this day. I guess I just survived for so long on this tour because I really am a very competitive person. Also, because I have found so many good friends in the windsurfing sport. http://www.worldofwindsurfing.net/en/press-lounge/stories/women/karin-jaggi-sui.html

http://www.windgirls.com/f2girls.html

f2girls_karin1.jpg

Sponsored by F2

Karin Jaggi -
The Champ

12 x PWA Windsurfing World Champion, 7 x IFCA/IWA Windsurfing World Champion, 1 x ISA Speed World Champion and the Outright Speed Sailing World Record (41.25 knots): No question about it – Karin Jaggi is THE female windsurfing champion of our times. Since 1995 the Swiss waterwoman has taken titles in every single discipline including Wave, Race, Speed, Freestyle, Slalom 42, Super-X plus two Overall titles. Watch Karin windsurfing in huge West Australian swell, flying high in Pozo or outclassing her fellow Slalom 42 competitors in Fuerteventura, and you'll find out why.

No other woman windsurfer has ever shown such a memorable combination of success, long lasting spirit and universal windsurfing skills. It is also quite obvious that Karin's impressive career is unique in the world of women windsurfing, comparable perhaps just to male windsurfing legends like Bjorn Dunkerbeck. This means that Karin, who is also one of the most likeable pro girls, the perfect ambassador for her sponsor F2 in the world of women windsurfing. By the way: Unlike other top sailors Karin always uses F2 production boards: The SX XS for racing, the Chilli 99 for freestyle and the Guerilla 69 in the waves.

Sometimes if you look at an often-asked question from a new perspective... you gain insights.

Last edited:

Latest posts