• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why I Play...

Welcome PSPerkins. I think you'll fit in good here, and on our courses. Great 1st post!:thmbup:

Thanks all, I have been "lurking" a bit on this site for a while now. It's a great distraction at work :p . I thought it time to join the fun. Thanks for having me.

My short version of why I play is, I like to be outdoors.

Mine is backwards from many on the relationship situation. I started seeing this girl and after a few day of dating she asked "So, what is this disc golf thing you do?" Now 6 years later she is rated 905 and we are married with a 20 month old boy.

Great Post! Mine had more to do with working all nights as a restaurant manager, feeling like all I did was sleep and work and never seeing my family or friends. My best friend had started throwing a little, kind of "sung the song" of disc golf to me, took me out to walk Endicott dgc while he threw. That was it. I flicked one disc. One. It was an awful throw. Like a retarded one-legged chimp threw it. And I immediately thought "Hang on, lemme try again. I can do better." And that was how it started. I went to Johnny Mac's (a local sporting goods store) that day, where they were offering a buy 3 get one free on their small selection of discs. I bought a Valkyrie, Archangel, Stingray and Hydra. And a small Lightning bag. This was in November '07. We played 4-5 days a week all through winter. I flicked drink trays at work on the back dock. I saw lines of flight everywhere (which I thought was a personal craziness but now see that we all experience this). It was awesome! I would get up in the early morning with 2-3 hours of sleep, have coffee with the wife before she went to work, see the kids, and then throw 2-3 rounds a day. It helped me from going insane in my job. Made me feel like I was up doing something, if not productive, then at least fulfilling, with my off time. Then I got my boys into it. Then my 3rd boy. Now there's a fourth boy who is about a year away from going out golfing with me. My wife has gone a few times, just to shut me up, but she's mostly cool about the road trips and days out golfing. It enables me to hang out with my friend (single, no kids. Any of you guys with wives and kids might know that its not always easy to have a single friend and hang out with him as much as you'd like). Sorry about the verbosity. I find it interesting that a lot of us have similar stories.

I originally started playing just a couple times with friends, more of a social hangout but nothing close competitive and never really got the bug to play again. Then I didn't play again for probably 3 years. I had played several other sport leagues (flag football, slow pitch softball, volleyball) then I tore my ACL playing football. After surgery and a few months of rehab, I could walk, but no sports for a while (especially ones with possible contact). Before the injury I had been playing a sport at least 2-3 times a week, I needed something to fill that gap. I needed to keep rehabing by walking and jogging, but that was way too boring. I found a few old discs that I had played with years before (innova starter pack) and "rehabed" the knee by playing. Played with my wife almost every time for a while, but eventually was playing too much for her. It was great to see my progression from throwing my only driver (Eagle) 150' or so at first to about 250-275' in about 3 months. I almost always played the same course, slowing lowering my average. Went out every time to meet or beat my last score. Slowly started purchasing new discs and trying them out, slowly building my bag and in the process having a bunch of stuff I didn't like stored in the basement.
Now about a year and a half into really playing I still like learning new types of throws (forehand, backhand roller, forehand roller, thumber) and trying to perfect them for those situations where they are needed. Seems like I keep improving and there's always more to learn. Participating in weekly disc golf leagues have replaced some of the old sports that I played before hurting myself. Now disc golf is at the top of the list of and replaced some sport leagues I used to play.

I play for the fame and women. Seriously though, i play more rounds by myself than with friends, but either way i enjoy everything about the sport. The challenge to improve, the rush of making a great throw and seeing the flight of the disc, the camraderie, cheap cost and the hiking. I have played a handful of tournaments and i don't get nervous. For me, it's just another round; i'll try my best and let the chips fall where they may. I can't control what the other guy does, and i find that being calm helps my results and I'm not making a living at this. If it stops being fun, i'll find something else to do.

I never knew what DIsc Golf was till about 3 months ago... I was camping at lake casitas and saw people throwing disc around. I was curious of what they were doing so I asked what was the game all about. They just told me it was a GAME... let me throw the disc once or twice.
So I went out and bought me a beginner set of disc... innova disc.
I planned another camping trip.
I played a round of Disc Golf with my brother out there and the got HOOKED.
I started Googling Disc Golf and found everything there is to know about DG.
I started Buying disc online... I found So many diferent courses. I didnt know DG was so popular.
Well... I am 3 months into playing now and I cant get enough of IT. Im always online looking at diferent Discs and courses. My lady gets sooo mad at me cause Im always on my phone. I am still trying to get better at my GAME. Putting for sure... I suck at it.
Anyways I play for FUN right now.
I do plan on Getting competitive on day.

Last edited:

Latest posts