• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why is there a heavy insistence to join league? when it sucks?!

There is not really any point to try to play where I'm talking about. It is a 9 hole course with about 15 groups for league.

And I'm totally fine with that. I actually want them to have leagues. I'd probably come to their league if I were unemployed.

It doesn't sound like a very fun time. I also have little time to play. Between work and picking a kid up from an activity it can be hard to squeeze a round in.

I think I'm just lucky. My course is 1/2 mile away. The league organizers specifically wanted a more relaxed feel to it. The guy I got paired with for the end HiLo doubles stopped playing the league at the 'good' course because he wanted the chill atmosphere. He seemed like a soft spoken nice guy. He was good. But he's lucky I was there with my awesome 5ft putting ability :clap:

Main reason I don't play in weekly league is that it takes far too long for a single round. Friend who I DG with plays in them fairly often and keeps saying how it's 2,5 to 3 hours for a single round (18-hole course), pretty much without fail. In comparison, we played two rounds yesterday, it took just over 2 hours for two rounds, 36 holes total. No interest in spending more time for a single round than we regularly do two rounds in.

I enjoy the hang and the party. Shooting the sh!t, crush some shots and putts and show off a bit, why rush through that?

It doesn't sound like a very fun time. I also have little time to play. Between work and picking a kid up from an activity it can be hard to squeeze a round in.

I think I'm just lucky. My course is 1/2 mile away. The league organizers specifically wanted a more relaxed feel to it. The guy I got paired with for the end HiLo doubles stopped playing the league at the 'good' course because he wanted the chill atmosphere. He seemed like a soft spoken nice guy. He was good. But he's lucky I was there with my awesome 5ft putting ability :clap:

The people that play it love it and it has apparently been a staple since well before I took up disc golf.

It seems to be a really tight knit group, which is great, but whenever a group like that forms, it is hard to not come across as cliquey to outsiders. I'm sure the club is in a really tough spot where they'd like to grow the club and appear as inclusive, but they also can't necessarily support including everyone that wants to play.

The people that play it love it and it has apparently been a staple since well before I took up disc golf.

It seems to be a really tight knit group, which is great, but whenever a group like that forms, it is hard to not come across as cliquey to outsiders. I'm sure the club is in a really tough spot where they'd like to grow the club and appear as inclusive, but they also can't necessarily support including everyone that wants to play.

This is pretty regional. Membership is vital to any club. We are always in need of folks to help. Tournaments, leagues, clean up days, meetings, organizing, marketing, hustling for sponsorship, interactions with local parks and municipalities, dealings with others clubs and state organizations. These are just a few positions in a club that require resources.

We run four leagues, there singles leagues. Intentionally have designed them to cater to three different skill levels. While many players play more than one, or all three.

Inclusion can be a barrier, but that is on the leagues. Man, we really make an effort to meet and greet any random golfers we encounter. It is counterproductive to our efforts to be less than gracious to outsiders. I cannot see why any club would allow any other behavior.

We always need help and bodies to run events. We have really started to focus on getting our name out there, so new player can see what we have done and are doing for the disc golf community. Rest assured we can accommodate everyone that wants to play....well, COVID is limiting our ability right now for tournaments.

This is pretty regional. Membership is vital to any club. We are always in need of folks to help. Tournaments, leagues, clean up days, meetings, organizing, marketing, hustling for sponsorship, interactions with local parks and municipalities, dealings with others clubs and state organizations. These are just a few positions in a club that require resources.

We run four leagues, there singles leagues. Intentionally have designed them to cater to three different skill levels. While many players play more than one, or all three.

Inclusion can be a barrier, but that is on the leagues. Man, we really make an effort to meet and greet any random golfers we encounter. It is counterproductive to our efforts to be less than gracious to outsiders. I cannot see why any club would allow any other behavior.

We always need help and bodies to run events. We have really started to focus on getting our name out there, so new player can see what we have done and are doing for the disc golf community. Rest assured we can accommodate everyone that wants to play....well, COVID is limiting our ability right now for tournaments.

I was speaking in the context of 1 particular popular event at a tiny park.

Leagues killed the game for me. I've been a part of four clubs in my DG career and only one was fun. It was my college club. The others were a bunch of man-children in a social club who took everything way too seriously and then not at all when they weren't throwing or putting.

In clubs I haven't been a member of, I've been told to get off a course because a league was about to start. (Looking at you AC/DC!) And, by the same club, told that they reserved the park. They didn't and couldn't offer up a reservation permit. Then the guy left when I told them I was an attorney. After that it has just been dirty looks and general gate keeping of the course by other clubs.

Also, my experience has been clubs trash courses and complain when the city gets after them or when the neighbors complain. They go full pikachu face every time.

Frankly, I'm done with clubs and leagues. You won't get better from them. If you want to get better, you'll realize how on your own. If you want a social club, then leagues are for you. But that's all they are.

i like playing a tag round..and really enjoyed playing with people who were better...lately the few top players have disappeared and the courses are filled with low skilled players...often with carts in big groups...tournaments take forever to play 2 rounds and all the other stuff. there are endless new middle age players...in surfing we would call them kooks...and leagues filled with them is tough to take...I feel badly saying this...but i was just overwhelmed by crowds of goofs today...

Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf? i hope that's not true. :confused:

I played with people several times but never a league and 99% alone. Do it the way it brings you the most joy.

i like playing a tag round..and really enjoyed playing with people who were better...lately the few top players have disappeared and the courses are filled with low skilled players...often with carts in big groups...tournaments take forever to play 2 rounds and all the other stuff. there are endless new middle age players...in surfing we would call them kooks...and leagues filled with them is tough to take...I feel badly saying this...but i was just overwhelmed by crowds of goofs today...

Perhaps instead of negatively labeling all them immediately, you could be to them, what the "top players that disappeared" used to be to you. Also, you would be surprised how many of those people will play a casual round for money. So why not cash in? Unless you are worried about losing to some of those "goofs" and "kooks".

Do you all agree that league is the only real disc golf? i hope that's not true. :confused:

Not at all.

A good league is often difficult to find, but worth participating in, imo. It can be a lot of different things for the people participating - a weekly time to look forward to playing, seeing the crew and competing in a more laid back environment, or just wanting some casual competition with a field bigger than just your cardmates.

I've played in several leagues over the years, and each has their own positives and negatives. Rotating format leagues, singles only play, random doubles, handicap leagues, etc. The one consistent part of it that I enjoy is the competition in a larger environment without being at a sanctioned tournament.

Is it the best thing ever and the "only real disc golf"? Nope. But, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of great things about participating in leagues.

So you don't play the courses that the club maintains or funds?

Don't assume that all clubs are created equally or that they have any bearing or responsibility for courses in the area.

Our local club doesn't maintain or specifically fund any of the courses. They city and county do that.

Many clubs were created after courses were installed in a location - sometimes due to the city installing one on their own, or even one solo crusader who got the city to listen and put one in.

Don't assume that all clubs are created equally or that they have any bearing or responsibility for courses in the area.

Our local club doesn't maintain or specifically fund any of the courses. They city and county do that.

Many clubs were created after courses were installed in a location - sometimes due to the city installing one on their own, or even one solo crusader who got the city to listen and put one in.
This is true in our area as well. Some clubs fully maintain the disc golf courses and fund the improvements while others are fully funded and maintained by the parks dept.

Definitely 1 on 1 I am good with them... Is just when there's 4 to 8 of them on every hole in every direction that it's too much.... Playing for money that's an interesting thought though..... I don't think they would go for it though

Definitely 1 on 1 I am good with them... Is just when there's 4 to 8 of them on every hole in every direction that it's too much.... Playing for money that's an interesting thought though..... I don't think they would go for it though

Complaining about leagues on a course seems a bit silly. I agree that mob golf can be a mess for the course, but when a league is in progress, with four or five golfers per hole, the fact that they are organized, should not matter. Around here, full courses on the weekend are pretty much the norm, if you are playing any of the better courses. In fact, most nice weekday evenings, see a ton of traffic. If you want to play a course, as a single, at pace, I think finding a time and place will end up being on you.

In my experience, leagues are kind of quirky... Different leagues draw different poeple

Generally I find the guys that "love" league and push it on others are the ones really focused on community, friendships, and comradery of the sport. This is how you can see successful leagues at relatively crappy courses, like the one the OP mentioned. These are generally the cumulative week leagues

I've also seen a lot of people recommend leagues to newer players as a way to get better. I've heard comments like "watching and playing with better players will make you better."

I've seen league participants that are focused only on competition and payout. They show up late and are the first to leave if they didn't post a competitive score. These are more often the week to week leagues.

I've played all types of leagues. Find one that fits your schedule and desire for comradery/competition/payout or drop in every now and again. There is no "right" answer...

I've come to terms with leagues. What I don't really understand are all the impromptu singles or doubles matches. Why do those cost money to play?

I've come to terms with leagues. What I don't really understand are all the impromptu singles or doubles matches. Why do those cost money to play?

Playing for something just about always makes it more interesting for me. Sure it could get annoying when every single round has to be for cash, but that's not usually the case. I suppose I have been playing longer than most so I have an advantage that way, but I just do love me a good $5 round. :D

For months and months prior to league re-opening due to covid restrictions i am told, are you going to come to league? its so much fun! but when playing league - (on our small course that is 18 hole - 9 basket course ) we have these crazy choke points where you're waiting for 5 - 6 cards, constantly throwing fairway shots with people hiding behind tree's or people present where you don't usually have people standing, and an increased chance to be hit by flying discs ( almost several in one night) but i am told playing league is "disc golf"

Is this usually the experience playing league for everyone? are tournaments like this too?

i play so well when not playing league but during league the course is the last place i want to be.

Late to this thread but I figured I'd give my two cents to the original post, so I'm sorry if I'm just repeating what has already been said.

1) That league situation sounds unfortunate and I would probably not go back, personally. IDK how to define "the only real disc golf" but hiding behind trees to avoid getting hit and throwing drives with people in the fairway certainly ain't it.

2) Tournaments can definitely get backed up depending on the course, but it's almost never as chaotic as what you described. League rounds generally have less people than a tournament so backups are even less common.

3) I certainly wouldn't say league "is the only real disc golf." I personally enjoy the competitive nature of league just because everyone is a little more meticulous when there are a few dollars or bag tags on the line, and it's a chance to test my skills and see how I've been improving. I'm competitive and have more fun when people are playing by the rules and taking things more seriously. But some leagues do suck and/or are toxic, which is just not how disc golf is supposed to be IMO. If you enjoy casual rounds by yourself or with friends, that's great! If you prefer more serious competition, then a good league is the way to go. I prefer a combination of both - a league full of talented players that I'm friends with where the competition is tight between us.

Playing for something just about always makes it more interesting for me. Sure it could get annoying when every single round has to be for cash, but that's not usually the case. I suppose I have been playing longer than most so I have an advantage that way, but I just do love me a good $5 round. :D

I don't care about playing for money but I will, I always keep $6-10 in my bag for such occasions but I don't care. Some guys I play with do. If I win I often try to duck out early so people cant pay me.. Ha I do just want to get my buy in covered and bail.

I like our crowd, they're a lot of fun. It's funny how much better we have gotten as a group, there's a few people that are too serious and leave quickly or get pushy waiting for the "last" group. Or don't drink or "smoke" haha.

Last edited: