• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Why putt with baseline plastic?

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
I've noticed that the vast majority of people putt (not throw) with baseline plastic, and I'm curious why. Is it simply that (in general) baseline plastics have better grip than premium, or is there some other advantage I'm missing?

For something as feel-driven as a putter, I would think you'd want the plastic to change as little as possible with use (i.e. beat-in as slow as possible), which would give premium plastic an edge.

I've noticed that the vast majority of people putt (not throw) with baseline plastic, and I'm curious why. Is it simply that (in general) baseline plastics have better grip than premium, or is there some other advantage I'm missing?

I use a loose grip for putting and short approaches, so grip is the key for me (especially in wet conditions).

Baseline putters also grab chains better, although that can be a disadvantage if you hit weak side. Premium putters are more prone to slide through the chains.

For something as feel-driven as a putter, I would think you'd want the plastic to change as little as possible with use (i.e. beat-in as slow as possible), which would give premium plastic an edge.

Putting putters change pretty slowly, even in baseline plastic. I like to use a well-seasoned stable approach putter for putting. Once a certain amount of "new" has been knocked off, stable baseline putters seem to settle in and hold flight characteristics for quite a while.

But of course putting is very personal so ymmv.

Monocacy pretty much nailed it.. Premium plastic does shoot through chains more often... I don't have much to add other than a ramble...

Personally I actually putt more with 167g premium plasma envy and use a baseline soft 172-174g electron for straighter drives. My plasma envy have changed very little in 6+ yrs, I have a stack of about 10 that are identical... the thing I like is the clean release and the extra bit of fade especially for 40' (or less) tap ins.

My hand however prefers the soft electron but it's a little too grippy.. If I had the option years ago when I bought my plasma stack I might have gone baseline instead. Now it's kind of a battle because part of me wants to use them more and they are deadly from 40' out since their flight is much straighter. The grip in wet conditions is a plus, but I need to adjust about 6-10" to compensate.

The wear cycle on a baseline plastic is a wonderful thing, start a cycle with a few and you can cover a lot of shots. If you have one you putt with for years it will be tough to replace if tragedy strikes. If you have a backup baseline that's close you can use it for driving for a month or so and it will beat in to where you need. Especially with premium MVP/Axiom discs, they take forever to show any difference in flight. Once I get one where I want, it gets relegated to the competition bag and I work in another one in my practice rounds.

I like both options, either way it's good to have 2 or 3 of your putters in the bag to lower your score, make warm ups easier and compensate for different conditions/shots.

It really is a feel thing, if it feels good it inspires confidence.

Last edited:
All about grip for me. Putts are one shot where I definitely want touch and control and for me I can't get that in a slick, premium plastic.

I've even gone to base plastics for most of my throwing putters for the extra bit of control I get due to the better grip. Sure, they get beat up quicker than the premium stuff but I'm happy to swap them out for fresh ones once they start flying differently.

But, to each their own and if putting with premium plastics works for you and your game I would never argue with you for doing it. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Grip is one reason, but I think another reason is cost. Many players like to have multiple putters for practicing. I know some who have more that 5 putters just for practicing, so they don't have to walk to the practice basket after every throw. Baseline plastic is usually a bit less expensive than other plastics.

In addition, or as some further consideration, I think many people favor fairly stiff putters. It seems to me that the premium plastics get slicker and slicker as they get firmer, and they are hard at the surface as opposed to just firm at the core. The premium plastics that have more grip seem to be more flexible.

You can get a firm baseline plastic that also has some give in the feel of the surface of the putter. Maybe that's a "feel vs. real" thing, IDK.

Also, if there was any benefit to putting with premium plastics, I think every pro would use it. Not sure any of the elite level players putt with anything other than base type plastics. If it's good enough for them, it's bound to good enough for us regular Joe's.

Grip and the ability to replace damaged putters more easily/cheaply.

All about grip. I have pretty dry skin so premium plastic sometimes slips in my grip and saps a lot of power. Especially because I like a stiff-ish plastic for my putters. For me, the tackier the putter, the less power I lose from finger snap. I putt with EV7 phi's in OG medium, with a spush putt, for reference.

You guys:rolleyes:

OP do note most people ONLY putt with their putting putter so damage is quite minimal over time.

Thanks.

While the cost is a factor for most of us on this forum, the pros also (generally) putt with base plastics, and cost isn't a factor for them.

My basis for the question is...

I've noticed that I seem to miss more weak side chain hits with base putters than I do with my Opto Pures. My Pures are probably slightly less grippy, but seem to be grippy enough, at least in the dry Summer.
They are also definitely not what I would call stiff. (I would say a tiny bit less stiff than BT Medium.) It's like the base plastic spins off the chains and out of the cage on weak side hits. And I've never really had a problem with spit-throughs.

Maybe I'll try a stiffer base plastic (like BT Hard) and see if I can have the best of both worlds - improved grip & less weak side spin outs.

Maybe I'll try a stiffer base plastic (like BT Hard) and see if I can have the best of both worlds - improved grip & less weak side spin outs.

Not trying to be mean, but chaining out left side isn't as much of a disc issue as it is the guy hitting left side.

Not that I'm any high level putter myself but when I'm putting consistently the plastic doesn't factor in to whether or not the putt sticks. The plastic only matters for how it feels coming out of my hand so that I can make accurate, consistent putts.

Not trying to be mean, but chaining out left side isn't as much of a disc issue as it is the guy hitting left side.

Not that I'm any high level putter myself but when I'm putting consistently the plastic doesn't factor in to whether or not the putt sticks. The plastic only matters for how it feels coming out of my hand so that I can make accurate, consistent putts.

Fair enough. But noone is perfect. If you could make a few of those weak side hits with a different plastic, why wouldn't you?

Elmex nailed it.

For me, it's all about grip, but I have problems with grip on any premium plastic discs so ymmv.

Latest posts