• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Why so much dome?

High domes usually happen when plastic cools quickly. The plastic contracts/shrinks as it cools, and due to the shape of a disc the plastic pulls inward. The flight plate hardens first as the plastic in the rim is still soft and shrinking. This pushes the dome up.

I suspect Innova runs their production as quick as possible. So the discs often cool quick and dome up.

^But does it stay flat?

Anyways, obviously from just a few pages of replies plenty of people like thier domes so not all discs ought to come flat, don't get me wrong I love me a flat destroyer and I prefer my roc3's to be pancake like but I have a domey version of each for the more over stable lines the flat tops can't seem to handle.
Just my 2 cents.

If you want discs that are designed and produced to be as flat as possible, get some MVP/Axiom. Many of their molds are very flat.

You want a flat Destroyer? They're out there. Not sure why you'd want one when the domey ones are way better but whatever. Rocs aren't flat unless you get one with a flat top. That's always the way it's been, so I'm not sure why there should be an uproar now. The Teebird isn't naturally the flattest disc, even if there have been a couple of very flat runs. It's not a board flat mold. Unless it's a T3 which has been tweaked to be board flat. Leopards aren't board flat either, nor should they be.

So I'm not really sure what you're expecting. Every manufacturer produces discs with a variance in dominess. Every. Single. Manufacturer. Why single out Innova, unless you want to engage in a little senseless anti-Innova circle jerk and whine about the big bad Corporation on the internet. Innova is still a small business, and they put out classic molds in plastics people like.

If you don't like them, throw something else, like an Envy or Resistor. Or bitch about it on the internet meaninglessly. The choice is yours.

Or bitch about it on the internet meaninglessly. The choice is yours.

Isn't this what the internet is for?

But seriously, if you don't like the way Innova discs have a dome look somewhere else. Innova isn't the only company producing discs.

I have a domey Teebird that is my go-to driver and it flies great. I don't understand why everyone hates on domey discs. They still fly well. It's not even an issue as far as I'm concerned. Just throw the disc!

I have a domey Teebird that is my go-to driver and it flies great. I don't understand why everyone hates on domey discs. They still fly well. It's not even an issue as far as I'm concerned. Just throw the disc!

This, get over it people.

yeah just give the internetz your money and smile with whatever you get...:\

I like flatter instead of domey for most everything. You know you can buy flat topped kc pro rocs right? They used to be money at least a couple years ago. Not sure about now I don't throw rocs.

yeah just give the internetz your money and smile with whatever you get...:\

That's a risk with anything over the Internet. If you don't want domey, do the extra leg work and email and get as specific as you want, but if you don't want to go the extra step, then don't complain when you get the correct weight, color, mold etc. but with a little dome in your order.

Last edited:
I agree that it's not difficult in general to fulfill your preferences with a little due diligence, but I don't necessarily agree with the whole it doesn't matter whether it's domey or not argument. Some discs for some purposes and people are better with more or less dome. It makes a difference in the flight...Dome tends to add glide at the cost of wind resistance. It can also make a huge difference in how a disc feels and leaves the hand. For example I have trouble with FH and domey discs. That said, I love domey distance drivers because they fly farther and catch tailwinds better.

I agree that it's not difficult in general to fulfill your preferences with a little due diligence, but I don't necessarily agree with the whole it doesn't matter whether it's domey or not argument. Some discs for some purposes and people are better with more or less dome. It makes a difference in the flight...Dome tends to add glide at the cost of wind resistance. It can also make a huge difference in how a disc feels and leaves the hand. For example I have trouble with FH and domey discs. That said, I love domey distance drivers because they fly farther and catch tailwinds better.

I agree, but again personal preference. I like flat Firebirds. I'm more just anti-complaining. If your picky, practice due diligence and if you don't and your order, which fulfills every other option you could choose, is slightly domey, then don't complain.

A little natural dome on distance drivers isn't bad. I just want flat putt/approach and mids. Ordering online I have to be very specific about it. Most of the time "a little dome" is way more than "a little". I have not seen a champ Rhyno without the mega dome in a long time. I just have no use for a domey Rhyno. Into the wind they fly nothing like a flat top. Same for Roc's in my opinion. From the responses it sounds like I'm in the minority and that is why they continue to make moderate and excessive domed discs. Flattening a disc helps sometimes, just not always. It is a matter of personal preference though. I'm just happy that flat disc can still be found.

I don't have a problem with mild dome. On most discs actually that is a good quality. My problem is when I get KC rocs that are pop top, and soft, or other discs that the dome is ridiculous on.