• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the hate for Private University Courses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craton

Double Eagle Member
Checked up some reviews on my home course, Bethel University. It seems that some people don't know that college campuses make their courses private because they hold the safety of their property and students in much higher regards then changing their privately owned land, for a private college campus, into public use land. For starters, that land isn't getting taken care of by tax payer money- it's being cared for through tuition of paying students. I don't get why people flip out about private courses when they don't stop to think that maybe SOMEONE had to pay for it and still does. This review was just frustrating- apparently Christians are only allowed to make public use parks, even at the expense of footing the bill for damages that a lot of locals LOVE to do to their own parks. Maybe when people can be trusted not to ruin something that's good, you'll see the course be made public. In the mean time, stop and think about what kind of stuff you've seen on public courses. I'll be damned if I'm going to see the crap kids love to draw on things ruin my campus. It's our property, and just because we wanted to put some baskets up and have fun, doesn't mean you can complain about us wanting to keep riff raff out- it's not a park, it's a private university. The second we get druggies, taggers, and vandals running around, the course is shut down. Permanently. This message is intended for the following reviewer.

Review By: a_beautifulplace
Played: 34 Reviewed: 8 Exp: 7.4 Years
Pros: -Very quiet
-Nice Campus
-Great layout (for the most part)
-A wide variety of challenges in shots.
-It has a pretty nice flow
-There is a lot of wildlife and the course offers a very nice hike
-I've never been caught playing there :p

All and all the pros of this course outweigh the cons, drastically.
Cons: -It's private
-They really need to mow a few sections
-^There is a lot of poison ivy/oak
-The tee boxes on some holes are very obvious, where on some it is very hard to find where the short/long/pro tees are.
-ONCE AGAIN, IT'S PRIVATE (A LITTLE SELFISH FOR A CHRISTIAN COLLEGE EH!?)
Other Thoughts: This course is very fun, and offers a feel unlike any other course in the metro. It is, however, unfortunate that it must be private. To anyone at Bethel College: Please reconsider opening your course to the public so others can enjoy this excellent course. You are one of two courses in the area (and there are a ton of courses around) that are PRIVATE (no option of even paying) Why is this? I know that a major concern is the crowd and litter that grows as you open it to the public, but with the right receptacles around, a lot of courses tend to stay pretty clean. You already have obvious foot traffic marks (which is inevitable at any course) I really would also like you to consider how hypocritical it is to be a Christian (Catholic?) College and won't share your precious Frisbee course with anyone on the outside.

I will continue to play your course and on a weekly basis. I will also continue to keep my foot traffic to a minimum and garbage to zero. Most frisbee golf players are very respectable of the land and mean no malice against yours!

Last edited:
I'm not being sensitive- I just get sick of people complaining about this. It happens a lot in groups I play with off of campus, and I'm more creating a thread about why it is the course is private. Sorry if everyone already knows the reasons...

not to beat a dead horse, but Disc Golfers have a/n (earned?) reputation as drinkers and potsmokers (as they play). Why would a private Christian university open up their course to that crowd?

Why would any private course open up their course to that is my question, esp. if those people won't be responsible for up keeping the park. One could make the argument that it could create a venue for Christians to reach out to them- but seriously, I'm sure they are not looking to hear the Good News if they are throwing down PBR's and trying to get a quick few holes in.

I know some pot heads that go to Christian schools.

if you only met my old roommates when I went to one. Im not saying theyre not there, just that the school itself would have no desire to "promote them". Now not that the university would actually be doing that, but it seems like Christian schools like to be proactively preventative. In that if someone who has any decision making power with the school has been convinced that making their course public would open it up to a "bad element" than they will probably work to avoid that.

It should also be noted that Bethel's course in particular is already under scrutiny because of the danger of having an avenue that promotes strangers to roam the campus at random. I'm not saying that ALL disc golfers, or even the majority of them, are robbers, criminals, or druggies- but if you open up your land to a sport that has a very big variety of folks roaming past a bunch of dormitories, it only is going to make sense that you are going to get bad eggs that steal bikes, tag walls, or there is some altercation with a student and the course gets shut down.

I played Bethel and enjoyed it very much. Marked it as played and didn't do a review or anything. The course really shouldn't be posted on this site. I've played a number of other privates over the years that didn't want to be known to the general public. I've kept my silence about all of them. Most persons are idiots...sorry that a guy like this and others posting in this thread feel the need to represent disc culture in preciously the way you are envisioning them...

someone who is breaking the law by trespassing where he is not allowed has no right to call the college hypocritical for denying him access regardless of whether it is a religious institution or not. but since this person did in fact do just that, it should be noted that breaking laws goes against the most basic ideals of Christianity and this person is not a righteous person. regardless of your beliefs, you should at minimum be respectful of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts