• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why the high speeds discs?

Home course, note the whites. Got a much longer course to the south and a long, wooded, tough course to my north. :)

Same thing I went through. I can tell you specific holes where I went from a Valk, to a Leo, to a Roc, to a Wizard. It's awesome being able to throw putters further than I could throw Valks back in the day. It's just nice that a lot of holes I play, I can reach the pin with anything in my bag. That gives me a hell of a lot of choices, compared to people I play with that have a few drivers to choose from on the same hole.

+1 :D

I'm working on discing down and am using mids for more drives. my arm is happier. That said, i pulled out the Nukes (SS and reg) today a couple of time due to wind. I'm not throwing near hard enough for these to come into their own but they hold a line in the wind and I know how they will fly. I hope to be throwing them for big D someday but are still useful until then.

jfa2492l.jpg

It's awesome being able to throw putters further than I could throw Valks back in the day. It's just nice that a lot of holes I play, I can reach the pin with anything in my bag. That gives me a hell of a lot of choices, compared to people I play with that have a few drivers to choose from on the same hole.

I am just starting to experience that. When I re-started playing, after a few years off, I threw my Archangel 260-270ft. Now I have birdied a hole 3 times with my Wizard that is 270ft and a hole in one 255ft.

As many people will preach on here, you shouldn't be throwing a warp speed disc without first being able to hit around 350-400+ (depending who you ask) with a Teebird. Hypothetically, only people with better form and arm speed should throw high speed drivers. BUT, if you can hit 350-400+ with a Teebird, why the hell do you need a high speed driver in the first place?

I can't throw a teebird 350 (300-325 is more typical), yet I can throw a beat pro katana 400. No matter how much I practice and play, that teebird isn't getting to 400. Probably not ever. So if the hole is 400 feet long, and I want a chance at a birdie, I have to throw a squirrelly high speed disc. Are you suggesting I just give up those birdie opportunities?

I'm all for throwing the slowest disc you can get the job done with, but if the only disc you can get the job done with is a high speed driver (or worse, you can't get the job done with any disc but the high speed driver gets you 50' closer for a makeable long putt), why not throw it?

Don't get me wrong, I see the noobs at the course throwing champ bosses 150' with a hard left hook just like you do, but there's a time and a place for many mere mortals to throw high speed drivers. For me, it's on open holes longer than 350'.

From a previous thread on pretty much the same topic

CwAlbino said:
I've actually started to disc back up progressively and have been gaining strokes and consistency. However, by discing down I've improved my game and accuracy with all discs that I throw so that since I've disced up, I have a better understanding on how to use all my discs. Discing down is a learning tool, and knowing when to disc back up isn't based on distance but on yourself and knowing your limitations. I've started discing up, and also stopped mold minimizing. I've thoroughly enjoyed mold minimizing, it's taught me a lot about how discs wear and how to create lines with discs that aren't generally thrown for that type of shot. I've started to fill the slots with discs that may overlap slightly, but are more utilities around my core bag. Additions like Z Nuke, 150 Z Flick, Teebirds/Leopard, and for windy days an ESP Force.

It's just like any drill, there are people that try to argue with the Dan Beto video saying that's not how you actually throw. It's to be use as a drill, just like the hammer pound, discing down, and mold minimizing. Discing down is effectively a way of making yourself push every disc you throw to it's potential, and teaching you about stability and flight characteristics. You cannot learn all of this if you aren't able to throw the discs to their potential, so throwing faster discs than you can handle doesn't teach you anything about the flight characteristics of discs. That is why discing down is a drill, and not so much end-all tournament practice.

side note: I can comfortably say that through discing down and my understanding of discs now, I could put together a bag of discs I've never thrown, or thrown very little, and within a round be able to score quite well with the new bag. Most people cannot say that, they know their discs only and are lost when they lose their favorite disc.

Since I've already mentioned mold minimizing, I'll go into that a little. Think of mold minimizing as brand loyalty. Every shot is covered by the major brands, but sticking to just one brand is limiting yourself. Why drive with an aviar if you are more comfortable driving with a wizard or an ion. A Comet might be better complimented by a Roc than a Hornet, both are more overstable counterparts and can essentially do the same thing (when new). The Roc throws more like a Comet though, whereas a Hornet is more driver like. Changing how you throw discs back and forth can lead to inconsistency and even mess with your head game due to confidence in your shots. By mold minimizing (or in this example, brand loyalty), you are learning how to throw different lines with the same disc. I could hand you a new KC Pro Roc, a Buzzz, and a Fuse. Between these three mid ranges, almost all shots could be made. None are the same brand, and none throw the same. If you don't know how to throw each individually, your consistency will not be the same as if I were to hand you a new KC Pro Roc, a beat DX Roc, and a thrashed to hell DX Roc. The Roc would need to be thrown higher, more like a putter. The buzzz is very driver like and can be thrown at low height, but can stall out and not glide as much as the roc or fuse. The Fuse is almost a mix between the two, it is lower profile and can be throw lower, but also reacts very well to high spin glide shots that older discs like the Roc and Comet do very well with. In essence, you may be able to throw every shot with a gator, a roc, and a mako, but that doesn't mean you would do the best and be the most consistent by using only Innova midranges.

/end long post

(I know this thread has pretty much turned into spam, but I wanted to type it all out anyway)

high speed drivers are the sh*t for loooong bombs. dont get me wrong, slower discs do work for me too, but nothin beats the medium stable destroyer for lettin all hell loose- super fast, taking all that snap to its fullest, breaking ever so subtly and flexing in with a big skip, 450 down the fairway..why hate??

THIS!

I'll make one addition to this:
It really should be rephrased. You should be hitting 350-400 ft with a teebird on a maximum distance line.
..and you want to improve your technique or skills.

The real point of discing down is to learn how to throw a disc properly. You have to throw properly to get these discs to fly right. To get a fast disc to fly right you can either throw really well or really poorly. It just happens that throwing really poorly is much easier so that's what most people end up doing. They'll only drive with fast discs and end up with horrible form and little distance and control.

The point of minimizing is to maximize your skills. Getting a few discs to cover all shots will increase your control by a lot. It's much less about "getting to know your discs" becasue if you gain those skills you don't need to know as much about each disc. As long as you have an idea of what it will do you can force it on the line you want.

The OP has realized the irony behind discing down, though. Once you do it and get good at it you find that your fast discs aren't nearly as important as you previously thought. Everyone elses point about hitting the upper end of your fairway driver distance easier is valid. It works for putters/mids and mids/fairway drivers, too. I didn't read super carefully, but it's also worth noting that faster discs tend to be better for longer hyzers and penetrate into the wind better than slower discs. That, combined with how they handle low ceilings better and are easier to throw farther make them useful once you know how to throw properly or are done improving.

"at my home course i started off throwing drivers 300', then i realized that was dumb so i started throwing my mids, eventually i got to where i'm throwing a putter for half of my drives and mids for the other half"

I will agree with this whole heartedly. It really opens up your game. One hole really drives this home for me. Instead of trying to get a really sweet anny line with a driver, I just pick up my buzzz and bee-line it to the chains.

you know where distance is super important? in your putters. being able to throw a driver 400+ is useful but being able to throw your putter 300' makes this game so much friggin easier.

Truth.

Your first mistake was assuming people on this board have a clue what they are talking about. Children on the internet dictating to you what you should throw is the only fad/gimmick here.

You should listen to this guy. He can throw 300' and has a whole 1/2 year of experience. Don't listen to anyone that has experience, competes as a pro, or can throw greater than 450'.

Why drive a car that can do 0-60 in 4 seconds when your average traffic flow takes about 20 seconds?

Why drive a big ass SUV that seats 8 when you are alone?

Why drive a truck that can haul 10 sheets of plywood when all you are hauling is your fat butt?

At least throwing fast discs needlessly only costs 15 bucks.

I do agree with all the shortest/most controllable disc to reach the target but I think we're missing one motivator. If we're honest with ourselves (and indulge our vanity a little), I think our favorite reason we enjoy doing it is because of the reaction from the average joe disc golfer. For example:

Holy Mary Mother of God! Did you just throw a putter on that hole?!? I usually have to throw my Boss to reach that kind of distance! I guess I'll have to buy a second disc now! :eek:

At least throwing fast discs needlessly only costs 15 bucks.

Not to mention it's fun as hell. :p

Okay, fine. I got caught up in the excitement over the Legacy discs (ordered 3). I may not throw them to their potential once I get them in my hands, but I think it's part of the learning experience. Plus I'm all for helping a new business get a running start. Sounds like a good group of guys.

I don't own a Teebird so I don't know how they would fly for me. Could be awesome, could be like a flying turd. I'm a noob so chucking a few $$ out to get some different drivers (all brands, weights, plastics, molds) may not necessarily improve my form, but I'll learn how discs perform and how they can enhance certain shots.

Example - one fairly steep uphill hole (165') to a plateau has a tree blocking the path just to the right side. I can usually get my Fuse to go straight or a small anhyzer line and park it pretty close. No, I don't need to bomb it if that's the route I want. However, I can also take a moderately fast driver and throw a big hyzer around the tree it land it close too. So, as I think some others are saying here, the bid D drivers have their purposes and having options for shots will lower your scores.

For the record - I gave no advice and have never spoken to or messaged "dstearns5". This individual also has stalked me on YouTube and Facebook. I'm assuming mental health problems. (He is also clearly not a pro - but would like you to think he is.) You've earned an ignore - enjoy it.

You should listen to this guy. He can throw 300' and has a whole 1/2 year of experience. Don't listen to anyone that has experience, competes as a pro, or can throw greater than 450'.

Last edited:
For the record - I gave no advice and have never spoken to or messaged "dstearns5". This individual also has stalked me on YouTube and Facebook. I'm assuming mental health problems. (He is also clearly not a pro - but would like you to think he is.) You've earned an ignore - enjoy it.

Never claimed to be pro, but I would love to get to that skill level. Who wouldn't?

Saw your video on YouTube, because you posted the link here asking for advice on your form.

Have no idea where you came up with the Facebook thing. I don't know even know your name, nor do I care.

I think you're the one that needs to be medicated, smart guy.

Why would I care if you have me on ignore?

Last edited:
Wow, just... Wow.

Anyway, it's already been said, but I think discing down is important for people who want to practice their technique and get to the next level. Some people don't care about that; they just want to have fun and that's cool too. In the end, it's all about what makes you happy. For some, it's driving a putter 300' for an easy birdie shot. Others, it's drinking beer and enjoying the scenery with their friends.

People on this forum aren't dictating what others should throw, just offering advice to those who want it. Clearly some people don't want it, even though they appear to be asking for it.