• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why would you want to be sponsored?

Plastic Thunder

Eagle Member
So Simon posted a bit on sponsorship recently and there were no surprises, work hard and you may realize the dream.

In 2016 I had one entry level Innova deal explained to me, seemed fine. Play and get paid a bit for tournament volume and there was the equipment allotments. I never asked about entry fees. I don't recall entry fees as part of the deal but I figured finishing well would just about make the thing a break even undertaking at that level. By the way, this was someone else's deal.

Here's the other part, taking a hobby and making it a job. That changes things a bit. I did it with hockey. I did not play professionally but had skated for decades. My son got into the game at the age of 3 and for 14 years I taught, played, coached and officiated and loved the game but grew to hate the grind and the people. I stopped coaching first, then playing, then I stop doing lessons and last was the ref thing. It was 2014 when I stepped off the ice after calling my last game. By the way, the money for calling games was good as you got up in the ranks. Plus all the ice time I wanted and free equipment. I miss driving the Zamboni, cutting ice is an art. I miss the feeling of cold air as I moved on the ice. Not enough to go back.

Anyhow, sponsorship is your dream, why?

Also, if you have been sponsored and/or still are, what do/did you love it?

I would like to be sponsored by Bell's. All it would take is a Bell's motor home, fishing boat and travel expenses. I would spend a lot of time marketing and promoting all varieties of their product. I have reached out to them several times, I am still await a response.

Free stuff for doing what you like is fun.

At the most basic level this is a big part of it. There are also varying levels (based on the makeup of the individual) of ego gratification, feeling a part of something larger than oneself, representing a company whose products you enjoy, working with people you enjoy working with, etc.

I have been a Prodigy Ambassador for 4 years and am moving to the Tournament Team this year. The first time I was offered a sponsorship (by a different company) I turned it down.

I understand why a touring pro would want to be sponsored. Especially if there's financial incentives.

I understand why a young player would want to be sponsored. Getting free plastic when you may not have the means to go out & buy it all yourself.

I don't understand so much why an older player with a job/career would want to chase a lower tier sponsorship. Usually when it's just an annual alotment of plastic. Yeah, free anything is nice but I'd rather see that kind of thing be used to help younger players.

I think I just get annoyed at how badly some people want to feel like a part of a tribe. In my region I come across several players that are easily 35+ years old, have steady income but still want to be on the Discraft Underground team or the lowest end Prodigy sponsorship. Not even so much for the annual plastic alotment but more so they can join a club & self identify. It's confusing to me. Wouldn't you rather pick & choose from all the different brands?

I think I just get annoyed at how badly some people want to feel like a part of a tribe. In my region I come across several players that are easily 35+ years old, have steady income but still want to be on the Discraft Underground team or the lowest end Prodigy sponsorship. Not even so much for the annual plastic alotment but more so they can join a club & self identify. It's confusing to me. Wouldn't you rather pick & choose from all the different brands?

I think this is more about status, or the feeling of achievement than anything. I think people want to say they are a sponsored athlete, especially when talking to people that don't necessarily play disc golf. Also, I could see it as validation for the hard work (even though it is fun too) that people have put into practice.

I think at the lower levels any sort of sponsorship feels like you've made it to some sort of next level.

I think when we see McBeth sponsored by Coca Cola or Ricky step onto the tee pad wearing a Home Depot shirt we'll really start to understand what real sponsorship means.

Here is my take on things. There are 3 logical reasons someone wants to become a sponsored player. #1 for some of us competing in sports makes the most sense when we are a part of a "team". I grew up playing football and played through college. When I was done, for the first time in my life, I did not have something bigger to be a part of. I watched my friend get picked up by lat 64 and how it gave him a "purpose" so that is when my dream of chasing a sponsorship started. #2 there is 100% a sense of achievement that comes along with it. Knowing that someone is willing to take a risk on you and allow you to promote their brand officially can feel great. Granted the pressure that comes with it can be daunting from time to time especially if your game starts to fall off or you have a bad day on the course. But there is no denying that feeling of achievement is a motivating factor. #3 truly loving the company that you are chasing. I have been a DM fan since I first threw a PD and 95% of my bag was already DM. I worked my way onto the "media team" and eventually onto the lowest tier of the actual team. Being a huge fanboy, having a direct connection to the company feels like a dream come true.

Sponsorship and everything that goes along with it isn't for everyone. Some days I think about what it would have been like if I had just kept a casual relationship with disc golf and not chased after "something" whatever that be. For me I have always had an obsessive drive to push for the top at anything I do. As soon as I started playing tournaments and leagues regularly my casual relationship with disc golf was over so the effect of chasing after a sponsorship made it no more or less "like a job". I don't miss bagging other companies or spending money on plastic.

When I was "sponsored" (for about 10 or so years starting in 2004) it was kind of neat to obtain free plastic, hats, shirts, etc. and get paid for giving clinics, but the real neat thing (for me) was to be able to fly out to CA multiple times and interact with the company founder / inventor and learn so much. When the guy's one of the world's most noted hydrodynamics engineers you just listen and learn! I took 4 years of calculus in college and my 'knowledge' ends where his begins! Simply enlightening.
The company has since left the disc golf scene so no more freebies for me :(
But fear not, I stocked up BIG TIME before then - I'm good!

I prefer to keep my hobbies stress-free and an escape from daily responsibilities. As such, I have no interest in trying to be sponsored in any of my hobbies, disc golf included. I already have a job, kids, mortgage, volunteering commitments, etc...throwing plastic frisbees around is just for fun and I want to keep it that way.

Now all that being said, I'm not very good at this sport so I'm in no danger of having to turn down sponsorships anyway.

When I was "sponsored" (for about 10 or so years starting in 2004) it was kind of neat to obtain free plastic, hats, shirts, etc. and get paid for giving clinics, but the real neat thing (for me) was to be able to fly out to CA multiple times and interact with the company founder / inventor and learn so much. When the guy's one of the world's most noted hydrodynamics engineers you just listen and learn! I took 4 years of calculus in college and my 'knowledge' ends where his begins! Simply enlightening.

boxes of Epics in the basement... ;)

Lightening discs?