• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Widest review range?

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I just noticed that Aquatic Park has reviews from 0.0 to 4.0 discs - almost the greatest range possible. Anybody know of a course with a wider range of reviews?

Also, anyboy know of a course that has 100% consistent (same-score) reviews for, say, 10 or more reviews?

Giles Run in Lorton VA averages 3.8 with reviews ranging from 0 to 5.

The person who gave it a zero evidently ignored the warning on the course info page to print a map before playing. He probably played on the Sunday before the two week mow (every other Monday) and worst of all, during the water reuse pipeline constuction through fairways 2, 8, 15 & 16.

I'm pretty sure (not positive) that I gave him a thumbs up. Then added white "next tee" arrows to the poles below the baskets and small arrow signs in the places where players usually get lost. Red tee 8 and silver basket 16 have been reinstalled and the grass is coming in nicely. There's nothing I can do about the thorns :wall: The player hasn't logged on in 9 months so sending a message is probably futile...

Sleepy Hollow in Michigan ranges from 0 to 4.5. Its a shame really cus the course is legit. Mark him down for being a hater people. haha. If I get marked down on my review for saying that I dont care cus the course is f*ckin sweet. Ha

the crazy thing about aquatic is some days id rate it a .5 and other days id rate it a 4. all depends how many discs you loose and how well you shoot. wind too!

the crazy thing about aquatic is some days id rate it a .5 and other days id rate it a 4. all depends how many discs you loose and how well you shoot. wind too!

I really struggle to understand this mentality. Your ability or performance on a day to day basis should not change the rating you would give a course. The course's charecteristics do not change with your game. Rate the course what it deserves. How you play is irrelevant.

For Aquatic Park: I don't think and individual's reviews should change from day to day, but I do think reviewers giving the course both 0.5 and 4.0 are reasonable. The course is interesting and very unique, but it also has some major issues. Depending on how each person weights these factors, ratings could be very different.

Cape Henlopen has similarly unique, strong Pros and Cons. And unsurprisingly also has a huge rating variation (0.5 to 5.0).

I really struggle to understand this mentality. Your ability or performance on a day to day basis should not change the rating you would give a course. The course's charecteristics do not change with your game. Rate the course what it deserves. How you play is irrelevant.

What he said. :clap:

Exactly, also get pretty annoyed seeing courses dinged for weather of the day

I did this thread a while back and based it on Leigh Farm Park, easily the most polarizing course in my area. It has 0.5 to 5 disc reviews. The 0.5 is also from a guy who thinks the course was just to hard and impossible to birdie because he can't throw that far.

Leigh Farm Park

Last edited:
Tidal Creek in Charleston, SC. 22 ratings for a 2.84 average. It has ratings from 0.0 to 5.0, with a rating at every interval, except 2.5. Basically, nobody thinks the course is average with the higher ratings are classic examples of hometown bias.

Exactly, you rate the course, not yourself.

I don't want to veer too far off topic, but there is an instance where I think weather could affect a rating and be perfectly reasonable...recent rain. If a course becomes a swamp after recent rain(teepads under water, fairways you can't walk through without getting mud up to your ankles, etc.) I see this as a design flaw. If you know the land is going to flood with very little rain you should do something to make it bearable. If that means raising the basket and putting it on a mulch mound that's fine, if it means moving the tees to somewhere that won't flood or even elevating them that's fine too, but if the designers didn't compensate somehow for a little rain I think the course rating should reflect that. I've played on a handful of courses that I thought were decently designed until I played them a few days after a rain and after thinking about the layout of the holes I think a better job could have been done designing the course to be more playable in all weather conditions. Ratings should reflect this even if it's not a problem every time you play the course.

You can not fault the course for rain, but you can fault it for horrible drainage.

Some of this should be common sense. If you go to a course the day after a hurricane, chances are it's not going to be playable, and probably shouldn't be reflected in a rating.

The problem, as we've seen too often, is the lack of common sense.

After I posted the Leigh Farm course in this thread somebody went and disliked my review of it.. lol. This site has some of the most butt hurt people on the planet. Get a grip people. Just because you got lost and it's confusing doesn't mean the course sucks, it just means you need to get a map or a guide and go back. Confusion should detract from a course but to make it 2 or less just because it's to hard and you got lost is insane.

good example

This is a really good example - it is not simply one 0, one 5, and ninety-eight 2.5s, where the outliers are obvious. This example has:
  • 9 people find the course below average
  • 13 people find the course above average
  • 0 people find the course average (2.5)
  • The two most common scores are 2.0 and 4.0, both cast by 5 people
  • The TR rating is ~1.09 less than the non-TR rating.
Tidal Creek in Charleston, SC. 22 ratings for a 2.84 average. It has ratings from 0.0 to 5.0, with a rating at every interval, except 2.5. Basically, nobody thinks the course is average with the higher ratings are classic examples of hometown bias.

Here's the wide range of ratings for Summit Park, 0 to 4.5. It's extremely tight with a handful of winding strangely shaped holes that make it a pretty polarizing course.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 9.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 9.08.02 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 12
Here's the wide range of ratings for Summit Park, 0 to 4.5. It's extremely tight with a handful of winding strangely shaped holes that make it a pretty polarizing course.

Not to be a jerk, but that's the exact opposite of a polarizing course (at least according to your figure)...it's about as close as you can get to a perfect bell-curve. Polarizing would have most of the rating on one side or the other...the majority of these are right in the middle.

Latest posts