Williamsburg, OH

Williamsburg Park - Original

3.055(based on 21 reviews)

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member

Join the discussion about Williamsburg Park - Original

Hey, I'd like to make this first post on Williamsburg a Thank You. Played today at just above freezing & want to thank Ben Culshaw again for the steps, John Schengber for his tree expertise, and Troy Ison for everything. Plus the guys who recently cleaned up four bags of trash. The course looks awesome!

Next, if you happen to be out there playing, and can take a second to toss off any fallen branches and debris this winter, it will make it so much easier in the spring. Feel free to grab one of the logs on the way down the steps on 15, and we'll get that skip ace run line back. If you want, on 12, if you kick into the debris piles either side, toss one off as deep in the woods as you can, so it gradually gets better and better. Finally, and only for tree experts (or if the parks send a guy up) we have one more dangerous (widow maker) tree leaning across the 10th fairway. So be careful near it!

Three more observations: 1) Williamsburg is fast becoming a memorial course. Everyone knows about the Karl plaque, tree and junior, but there's now a pet headstone on the 10th green for a cat named Leo! 2) Not sure when the tree overhanging the basket on 13 will eventually crash down but it's got about a 90% likelihood of crushing the basket, so the park might want to pull the basket & fell that tree safely? 3) Play carefully out there: a lot of trees and branches are coming down this windy winter season.

The standing water on 1 & 7, plus the debris & picnic table in the trees by 1 means we'll be out there Saturday 3/18/17 at 2pm for a little cleanup (please volunteer!).

Huge windstorm on 4/6/17 finally took down Karl (hole 14), & he pushed down or broke off 4 or 5 other trees as he fell. Lots of other debris (we picked up several hundred sticks & branches this evening, but plenty left to do! Extremely wet, water standing on 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, & 13. But the parks mowed nicely for Saturday morning's egg hunt (10am). For those interested look for red marking stones for long tees on 2, 4 & long 17 is clear enough to throw. Look for short tee positions on 3, 6, 7, & 18. Finally, there are some alternate basket suggestions for 1, 3, 8, 16, 17, & 18. More to come (there'll be a new map & signage as these get more finalized).

Thanks to everyone who came out for another (hot) Troy's Twisted Triples fundraiser. The latest incarnation of the master plan proposal is below, and includes nicknaming holes in anticipation of renumbering. Since my last post, 'the Ceiling' has a clearing ready for a long tee. 'the Wire' has been bush hogged, started clearing, and we've played it a couple of times. Daryl Whitaker has already started clearing a gap on 'the Return', because the park acquired the land east of the hedge row, and the Army Corps of engineers has approved most of our suggested upgrades, including the removal of honeysuckle, as needed. Thanks to all, and hopefully we can get closer and closer to this 24 hole layout soon!. https://www.dgcoursereview.co...ctureid=37281

Had a fantastic work day today with 17 volunteers. The trick is that we also discovered that a couple of the changes we'd had in the works, won't... work, that is. So I'm drawing up a new map and the numbering will be shifted one last time. Hang in there. We're getting close!

Had a fantastic work day today with 17 volunteers. The trick is that we also discovered that a couple of the changes we'd had in the works, won't... work, that is. So I'm drawing up a new map and the numbering will be shifted one last time. Hang in there. We're getting close!
Here's the Newest (and likely final?) map: https://www.dgcoursereview.co...ctureid=37353

OK, OK, admitting the plans will be in flux until things are actually in the ground, let me share the idea we're currently at. https://www.dgcoursereview.co...ctureid=37747
Right now, the course has holes 1-12, 14-21 Plus the temp Gap return. Will keep info updated on here as best we can.

24 holes all playable now, if not really cleaned up yet. I played the full layout today, blue tees to long basket positions today. Recent changes upgrades include 13 'Lucky': long position further & downhill to left, turn left for new long tee for 14 'the Drop': slants down to basket slightly left to right, 22 'shelter' doglegs left at the short basket all the way uphill between the honeysuckle to the hilltop (lots of stumps still in the way), and 23 'main street': play downhill dogleg from top corner of the park, between two pines, left to right past short pin dogleg to existing basket (lots of debris and stumps yet, but 'playable'). Enjoy!

Lost an orange Buzzz on 19 that hit branches on the right hand side and disappeared to Narnia. Itâ€(TM)s an ace disc, so Iâ€(TM)d love to get it back. Jeff, if youâ€(TM)re reading this youâ€(TM)re my only hope :/

Lost an orange Buzzz on 19 that hit branches on the right hand side and disappeared to Narnia. Itâ€(TM)s an ace disc, so Iâ€(TM)d love to get it back. Jeff, if youâ€(TM)re reading this youâ€(TM)re my only hope :/
That 'Get Down' hill is really rough on the right side, including concrete slabs 3/4 of the way down. I'll keep an eye out...

That 'Get Down' hill is really rough on the right side, including concrete slabs 3/4 of the way down. I'll keep an eye out...