• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind... How do you adapt to it?

I'll be there in September. Maybe we can meet up.

For sure. This is where I attend college. I will be starting my senior year and am always out discing..there was actually one day where our local disc golf club woke up at 7am and we played all 4 courses in one day..it was intense! We called it the Devil's Run.

Living with the wind, I throw a lot of wraiths and surges. If high winds I throw Max/Monster/X-Cal. Midrange I go with a Gremlin/Core/Shark/Coyote lineup and it covers me wind or not.

:hfive:

I had a guy from Colorado come play a round with me who kept complaining about how unpredictable his discs were in all this wind. I didn't even realize there was any breeze until he said something, I'm just too used to always playing in stiff Oklahoma winds.

Btw, there was a 10mph constant wind from the SW with gusts tickling the 15mph mark. Lol. That's a great day for disc here!

When did you have a calm day like that?:D

rules for wind.

1. tailwind throw under stable for longer d, over stable for quicker fade
2. headwind over stable for more neutral flight , under to stable will flip into rollers much quicker with snap
3. throwing overhand is ridiculous unless you know how to do this properly.
4. putting will drop in tail, raise in headwind.
5. expose the bottom flight plate and now you have a sail, use at own risk
6. have a disc you usually dont use, for me a new mf gator and trident to fight wind to swap in.
7. anhyzer/flex with an overstable disc in wind is easier to control than the hyzer and more predicable in short distance.
8. throw blizzard if your retarded.
9. use your 30 seconds to putt/drive carry 2 discs in hand if wind changes quick
10. wind is your friend when you know how to use it and everyone else craps the bag

I look forward to windy rounds. Wind is a fickle friend. I practice driving putters(Wizards/Rhino) on a football field with "flags" atop each field goal upright. Finicky AND fun, but more importantly, it inspires confidence when I encounter a windy day on the course. For headwinds I use Rhinos, Gators, Banshees, and Firebirds. For tailwinds I use a beaten SS Wizard, Shark(flippy), beaten DX Rocs, a Comet, Leopards, and Roadrunners. Include a wind test in your pre throw routine, even while practicing. This has helped me enormously in assessing what to throw and how.

You're just using the wrong disc. Disc way down in a tailwind and use something very understable. I parked a 370' hole with a Gl Fuse when we had a 25mph straight from behind us tailwind. My friends couldn't believe their blizz bosses just got outdrove by a fuse. Glidey, slower, and understable does the trick...

oh I know, that's just the problem.. It sucks' and when strong enough no disc flies that good they just push down on any normal line IMO plus putts are much more difficult.

For major headwind shots I will slide my middle and ring finger just a little towards the middle of the disc. It seems to take a little spin and torque of the disc. Sure, I lose 20', who cares.

I'm talking drivers, plus I will putt with a mid into a fierce headwind.

rules for wind.

10. wind is your friend when you know how to use it and everyone else craps the bag

Should have been your first statement. :thmbup: I cannot tell you how many times I've seen a card of people all throw the same mistake by not observing the wind.

so. i've finally gotten to the point where i'm mostly satisfied with my distance. my max distance is anywhere between 410-450 in dead air. if you put me in a headwind, however, my throwing sucks bigtime.

i previously thought the correct answer was to throw something more overstable. it seems that doesn't help my distance, it just helps my control.

is the right thing to do when facing a 20/30mph headwind to just disc up majorly and throw maybe a destroyer where i normally throw a PD? i struggle to throw 360 feet in, say, 15-20mph headwind with my PDs and this fall it has been very frustrating while doing field work.

I go into it knowing what to throw and how to throw it.

My Saints are really good in both a Headwind and a Tailwind. I just adjust my angle and watch it fly. there is a lot of up and down movement,but it doesn't turn into a anhyzer machine,just dead straight. Yeah throwing a Saint in the wind surprised me too,I didn't expect it to do as well as it does,but it's a really great disc for me in windy conditions.

I also have my Trident,Hornet and Zone for other wind duties.

and No joke I can throw a Comet in both a tailwind and headwind too,I adjust my grip to a Climo grip and watch it ride the wind like a champ.

Last edited:
pretty much all good info on here. For me the discraft article helped a ton.. I will add though (not sure if anyone touched on it yet), that in addition to US in tailwind and OS in headwinds, I find that throwing a bit higher in a tailwind and lower in a headwind helps a lot. Granted, I tend to throw a little nose-up, so thats why it works for me.

W/hen putting, I usually aim 1/2 basket high for tailwinds and 1/2 basket low for headwinds, keeping the same line.

There is a lot of information on this thread. One thing I would like to add is this...for the first few years I played disc golf I would avoid playing on windy days. I soon realized that this was a mistake and in fact now I purposely play on windy days for the challenge practice. I feel a good rule of thumb in disc golf is never leave the course mad but instead think back to the good shots u had and try to leave with a little more knowledge about disc golf. try to learn something every round of disc golf weather it was how the disc reacted to wind to a slight change in your form you worked on a different type of throw like thumber or overhead shot. The best way to get better in the wind...is to play play play in the wind.

Wow! Someone posted that link back in February. Lmao. I'm an idiot!

It's ok man.
XYKf5LA.gif

I try to throw flat and avoid any hyzer/annie so as to give cross winds less surface area to work on, and will change disc stability to compensate for where the line I want.

As for putting, I find it more successful to run at the chains with a bit of oomph rather than trying to putt with finesse. I may miss and bounce a bit longer, but I'm more likely to make them because the wind seems to have less effect on discs that have a greater kinetic energy.

wind

I like to do field work on an extra windy day throwing my normal bagged discs and their backups. Ill throw one speed range (IE putters, mids, fairways, distance) at a time from various directions. I spent over an hour today in 35-50 sustained and had a blast. Highlights included giant sky annys with US mids where Im throwing as much up as forward. I was getting about 400 in the air and another 100-200 on the roll as the wind keeps it from flopping either side. And full barrel roll thummers! Ala epic. I would throw a valk high and HARD and it would do a full loop followed by what looked like a normal backhand throw straight, turn, then fade left. All that taking place over 300ft+/- (not too usefull but a blast to see!) On the course I love a LR tail, thrown nose down nuetral/US mids and putters are a blast

Tailwind from the right is about the worst. I'll blast something a bit u/s (beat Viking, Pro Leo) and as soon as it flips over it. just. dies. drops about 6' and immediately goes into the LSS portion of the flight. It's heartbreaking.

In OP's L-R wind scenario, I throw Eagle-X's, flat. If I know it's windy I'll swap out a couple Teebirds or w/e for a couple Champ EX's. I played a tourney in windy conditions last month, first round, first hole I'm on top of the card and I get about 330' controlled D with my Eagle in a stiff L-R wind. I think I made it look easy, cuz everyone else on the card flipped right HARD and went OB. Thanks guys, free strokes for me! :thmbup:

I still haven't completely figured out headwinds. I don't need to go to crazy o/s discs to get a good flight, I can throw a Wizard, KC Roc or Teebird w/o flipping, but I also lose a lot of D. I've played 300' holes where no one on my card even GOT THERE, despite our best efforts. The drag on the discs just stalls 'em out. Those are the only times I wish I still bagged slim and speedy discs like Halos.

Latest posts