• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winged Deer Park is getting the shaft!

Rosco

So the city decided it was going to have its 1st annual Spartan style obstacle course, and it cuts through multiple Holes at Winged Deer Park in Johnson City, TN. Man I am pissed! This is my local course, and where I go with my kid on weekends. I had an extra day off of work today and went to play like normal, and This obstacle course has rendered several holes unplayable. Monkey bars, balance beams, and walls are erected directly in the fairways. Blocking out some lanes on a few holes and completely making others unplayable. I spoke to a fellow player after I saw this and he says there are plans to change the course up, but why didn't they do that before putting in this ridiculous obstacle course. :mad:

As a runner and a disc golfer, I understand that sometimes public land will get reserved for an event. I'm sure it sucks to lose the course for a few days, but I'm sure a few hundred people are having a great time (and a few of them might be interested in seeing what those shiny silver things are...)

I'd guess disc golf isn't a priority with your city, or at least less of one than the annual Spartan Race.

Thats not true, in fact, in the area is harmon Hills which is one of the best. I played there and another local course. Warriors path, and they both had large crowds.

I played a DG tournament this month where the course was placed onto an existing ball golf course. The front nine was closed on Friday and Saturday, and I'm certain there were some annoyed ball golfers. I guess one group's inconvenience is another's opportunity to try something different.

I was under the impression the obstacle course was permanent. If there for a weekend or so, the OP must be a pretty important person. Imagine someone else wanting to use the park. Same type complaint when walkers or hikers dare tread on disc golf ground.

This should be a wake up call to get involved in your local government. It's always a good idea to be in constant contact with the people in control of the land you use.

It depends--if it is permanent, y'all got screwed. If its a temporary event, your speedos are tucked way up in there.

I dont think its permanent. The city won the bid for the 2017 USWDGC and this course is going to be updated before then so it can be used.

Get over yourself... Many courses can and are used for other temporary events. Jefferson City, MO often has cross-country events than span over the new course, so the folks just play the other one on those days.

Get over myself huh!? Nice. At least part of it is permanent as they have cemented multiple Posts into the ground to hold the cut up phone pole obstacles.
My question is why, if they are redesigng at least part of the course, do this before hand. Also, I have heard nothing of the course redesign other than the one persons claim.
A course redesign would be nice since holes 13 and 14 were very poorly designed.

Attachments

• 20160328_174906.jpg
    20160328_174906.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 99
They did this, they did that, they are very busy apparently.

Are you a member of the local club?

Have you contacted them?

I'm willing to bet they knew about it and realized it was in their best interest to work with the powers that be.

Especially if they get the chance to redesign the course, rather than just losing it completely.

Here is a link to Johnson City hosting the USWDGC in 2017. Part of the requirements was wing deer a facelift. As a local and club member my advice would be to just go with it fo now. Their is new leadership in the parks and rec and they actually are excited about disc golf and local events in the area.
http://www.pdga.com/2017-pdga-majors-announced

So, after hearing from people in the know, this just turns out to be another verse of the "Entitlement Blues". :\

Winged deere

Get over myself huh!? Nice. At least part of it is permanent as they have cemented multiple Posts into the ground to hold the cut up phone pole obstacles.
My question is why, if they are redesigng at least part of the course, do this before hand. Also, I have heard nothing of the course redesign other than the one persons claim.
A course redesign would be nice since holes 13 and 14 were very poorly designed.

I dont know if they are permanent or not but you can throw over them. They arent in the way unless you throw a shot to low.

Getting involved is the surest way to ensure that you are both informed and have a voice in the process. Looks to be an opportunity, as opposed to a problem.
I am willing to bet that many obstacle course athletes find your disc golf course ridiculous.:|

One of the few benefits to private pay-to-play courses here- never any competing interests.

Exactly. This or set up a reserve account from your club fund where a portion of funds from club tournaments, disc sales, membership fees, weekly's, monthly's, etc. are held. I have never understood why clubs gripe about municipalities not caring about funding or helping the local dg course or club but the local clubs have little to nothing in terms of funds to help with projects because all of the income received is paid out to ace pots and tournaments. Capping ace pots at $50 or $100 is the easiest way to generate funds in a short period of time if you have several weekly events and put any overage in reserve.

Here is a link to Johnson City hosting the USWDGC in 2017. Part of the requirements was wing deer a facelift. As a local and club member my advice would be to just go with it fo now. Their is new leadership in the parks and rec and they actually are excited about disc golf and local events in the area.
http://www.pdga.com/2017-pdga-majors-announced

So … yeah … get over yourself.

Latest posts