• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter apparel

I am insanely jealous. Up here, I layer up with fitted clothing so as to keep my arm/chest clearance as normal as possible. I use TAD gear (http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/). Merino wool over any fitted undershirt topped off with a Stealth hoodie. If it's warm enough (ie -10C or above) I'll unzip the pits and back to air it out. Curling gloves if its pretty cold (-10C), covered over with oversized mitts between holes if its really cold (-20C) or one hand in pocket if its just under 0. Below -20 I'll recommend trying Sony Move on for size.

Kelly.

I am insanely jealous. Up here, I layer up with fitted clothing so as to keep my arm/chest clearance as normal as possible. I use TAD gear (http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/). Merino wool over any fitted undershirt topped off with a Stealth hoodie. If it's warm enough (ie -10C or above) I'll unzip the pits and back to air it out. Curling gloves if its pretty cold (-10C), covered over with oversized mitts between holes if its really cold (-20C) or one hand in pocket if its just under 0. Below -20 I'll recommend trying Sony Move on for size.

Kelly.

Thanks man. It looks like they have really good products, but it also looks like they are very proud of there product because the prices are pretty expensive. I don't want to spend that much money if I'm just going to be walking around the woods.

Thanks man. It looks like they have really good products, but it also looks like they are very proud of there product because the prices are pretty expensive. I don't want to spend that much money if I'm just going to be walking around the woods.

Yes and yes. Especially well suited for walking around the woods I might add! It's colder, longer up here, so this type of investment gets a higher return. Might not be worth it further south, but then, the fleece hoodies are less $$, and equally well fitted.

K.

In January, when it matters, ear muff, LS Thermal, w/ thick cotton "sweater vest" <-- which I cant seem to find and it is BOTHERING me!!

Kenbowski, I think everyone should play winter golf if they are able. I have found that winter golf is some of my favorite to play. All the thick underbrush dies off so the chance of a lost disc decreases and often times when it is chilly to cold out you can get a disc golf course all to yourself. You just need to dress appropriate and its all good. I bet there are lots of people on here with cold weather golf stories. I know I was playing last year here in Pittsburgh when it was 10 degrees out with 35 inches of snow ground and I played in Yellowstone years ago with snowshoes in over 5 feet of snow (alot of hammers and thumbers). It's a blast.

Kenbowski, I think everyone should play winter golf if they are able. I have found that winter golf is some of my favorite to play. All the thick underbrush dies off so the chance of a lost disc decreases and often times when it is chilly to cold out you can get a disc golf course all to yourself. You just need to dress appropriate and its all good. I bet there are lots of people on here with cold weather golf stories. I know I was playing last year here in Pittsburgh when it was 10 degrees out with 35 inches of snow ground and I played in Yellowstone years ago with snowshoes in over 5 feet of snow (alot of hammers and thumbers). It's a blast.

I will play even if it is cold out, but I'm not to sure about the snow. I just think that I would get aggravated trying to find my disc buried under snow after every time I throw it.

I will play even if it is cold out, but I'm not to sure about the snow. I just think that I would get aggravated trying to find my disc buried under snow after every time I throw it.

There are ways to lessen that aggravation... certain types of snow aren't even really an issue.

Ribbons are the way to go if you are concerned about it.

Wal Mart, KMart, Target. These places all have hoodies, pants, shirts, hats, underwear, socks, shoes, and food under one roof.

Not entirely true. Did you forget about the foot of snow we had last year? But I do agree that it's not nearly as bad as Northerners have it. It'll bounce from 30 to 60 degrees throughout the winter.

Definitely the exception and not the rule.

i live in Texas just underarmor and a hoodie last year it was 70 for most of winter

Underamor and a hoodie in 70degree weather? in michigan we wear shorts when it's that warm out. However i have yet to find something comfortable and warm for the winter, this thread is very helpful.

I've played the last two winters regularly in the same snow you'll be in. It's not as bad as it seems. A little patience approaching your disc will help you to not lose anything. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is unless all your discs knife into the ground. With Cincy's oddball weather, it's not assured we'll get a ton of snow.

As for clothing, I wear Patagonia Capilene thermals (cheaper than Under Armour and built for skiers/snowboarders - you can buy me a beer later with the money you save :thmbup:), basic synthetic pants, long sleeve t-shirts, a fleece-lined beanie, and an occasional sweatshirt jacket. I start off with gloves but am so warm by the first few holes, they usually go in the bag. Any Vibram-soled boots (don't go strapping a couple VPs to your feet) are recommended too.

Winter gear isn't really cheap, but (like was said earlier) it's an investment. The current dedicated winter disc golf gear I have is well over ten years old and served me well on the slopes long before helping me on the course. If you take care of it, you'll likely not have to replace it for ten years or more.

It gets cold enough to layer up about 2 weeks a year here in south Texas. I just use my underarmor camo long johns, jeans, a long sleeve pullover and my ljght weight underarmor hunting jacket.

Most of the time, I lose the jacket by the third hole depending on how windy it is. I can take the cold but forget about that wind.

What's this "snow" thing everyone is talking about? Last winter, after reading all the cold weather threads, I went out to the course and looked for this "snow".

I looked under rocks, up in the trees and never found it. WTF? Are you guys messing with me or what?

Woodpecker

gaiters help if you're in the snow

31XUmni6FwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

15535.jpg

just google shoe gaiter and you can shop around. amazon has some cheap-o ones

Get yourself some good lightweight long johns. They come in various weights. make sure they are polypropelene or something similar. DO NOT put cotton against your skin because no matter what you layer over that you will feel chilled. That goes for socks too.

With the right weight long johns you can pretty much wear your normal late fall/early spring disc golf garb. I play in the most bitter of temps, minus 10 degrees with a wind chill. Never have a problem.

Rather than a hoodie, I'd recommend a fleece vest, it keeps your arms freer. Any place that sells hunting clothing will be a good bet for undergarments.

Agree with NTX. In Texas we normally don't have to worry too much about the cold. Respect to the Canadians and other Northerners for playing through the winter. Snow is treat here in Arlington TX.

Latest posts